Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » General

Subject: POLL- Map Tile Connectors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ares Games and Gremlin Project strongly believe that Kickstarter is a place where authors and players working together to improve the quality of the final product.
Many of you are worried about the shape of the map tile connectors, so we are here to ask your opinion
You will not see the option "no map connectors" because some quests are formed by up to 20 tiles and assembly the map by simply placing them near each other is not comfortable at all.

We will reduce the dimension of the connectors as much as we can without impact the manageability or the endurance, but we can also work on the shape, so...

Let's vote! cool

Poll
What map tile connector do you prefer?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Puzzle Shape
12.6% 49
T Shape
87.4% 341
Voters 390
This poll is now closed.   390 answers
Poll created by Simone Romano
Closes: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:00 am
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Heron
United Kingdom
Bangor
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering what the real difference is?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blackpuddingbertha wrote:
Just wondering what the real difference is?



Aesthetics mainly, far as I can tell. There will also be some impact on how the art for two adjoining tiles blends, although that's hard to envision from the screenshot of a single tile.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cooley
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So excited for this game!

I'm so glad the tiles will interlock. My only little gripe is that the playing surface will always have at least 2 "unfinished" edges.

One idea for an add-on (or core component): Finish Tiles. These would finish off the map ends cleanly.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blackpuddingbertha wrote:
Just wondering what the real difference is?



The T shape would also be sturdier as less prone to bending.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What about going with a variation of the t shape?
Make the female sit indented through 75% of the width with the male side protruding the same way. Make this sides of the indents and protrusions 45 degrees.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted.

Would it be possible to design the connectors such that the slots are not male / female? Rather some Z or S or funky shape that allows them to fit either way round. That would give twice the number of possibilities, which would be rather nice.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua D
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Voted... Aw man, those nerds and geeks are gonna mess with my game for no reason! I liked the puzzle shaped connectors! Oh well...

Edit: okay, if the puzzle shape is out, a Z shape or zig-zag connector sounds like it would maximize sturdiness, art visibility, and minimize offset edges.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Pavia
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fentum wrote:
I voted.

Would it be possible to design the connectors such that the slots are not male / female? Rather some Z or S or funky shape that allows them to fit either way round. That would give twice the number of possibilities, which would be rather nice.


This is a great idea!

I would definitely vote for this as an option.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry guys, asymmetric shapes such as S and Z create problems because if you flip the tile, the connector will change its orientation...

Imagine to have two tiles connected each other:
1A and 2A, both have city on side A and Forest on side B

With our system, you can flip one of the tile, obtaining for instance:
1B and 2A or 1A and 2B.
With asymmetric tiles you are forced to flip also the other obtaining only 1B and 2B. This is exactly what happens with Descent tiles for example.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Simone: thanks so much for being responsive to this!

Actually, though, I would prefer a third option--could the transitions on the "knob" of the tile have *no* room art on them?

What's most distracting to me is not so much the shape of the connector, but that the room is spilling out into the next.

I'm wondering how the T-connector would look with a generic transition...maybe a doorway for rooms, or gravel/dirt for out doors, or even just shadow or mist.

It really stands out on setups like on pg.7 of the current manual--the edge between 12A and 2B (where the fiorest meets pathway) is a little jarring.

Not only would it look better--it would also help if and when there are rules for non-scenario exploration, and tiles are connected randomly--and tile mismatches could become even more prominent.

Also--I think most people would play this correctly, but it is a little weird to have a little knob of one area spill out into another, and there is very likely not to be LOS between the two. Technically, a figure could be placed on the knob, and not be able to see a figure is was right next to (no one is going to do this, but it still feels weird to me that you can).
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua D
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Simone Romano wrote:
Sorry guys, asymmetric shapes such as S and Z create problems because if you flip the tile, the connector will change its orientation...

Imagine to have two tiles connected each other:
1A and 2A, both have city on side A and Forest on side B

With our system, you can flip one of the tile, obtaining for instance:
1B and 2A or 1A and 2B.
With asymmetric tiles you are forced to flip also the other obtaining only 1B and 2B. This is exactly what happens with Descent tiles for example.


Thanks Simone. I see what the Gremlins are doing now. Whatever works for the benefit of the experience is good for me!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Loisel
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
Invictus5000 wrote:
Simone: thanks so much for being responsive to this!

Actually, though, I would prefer a third option--could the transitions on the "knob" of the tile have *no* room art on them?

What's most distracting to me is not so much the shape of the connector, but that the room is spilling out into the next.

+1 to this. Good call.


Another +1. This is what ruins the tile art for me. Put Descent 2E or Imperial Assault and it looks gorgeous in part because they went to a lot of effort to make the transitions invisible. Here, the transitions are extremely noticeable, and it just looks very silly.

Please find a solution for this. It is a real problem.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack `Raine
msg tools
jloisel wrote:
Exo Desta wrote:
Invictus5000 wrote:
Simone: thanks so much for being responsive to this!

Actually, though, I would prefer a third option--could the transitions on the "knob" of the tile have *no* room art on them?

What's most distracting to me is not so much the shape of the connector, but that the room is spilling out into the next.

+1 to this. Good call.


Another +1. This is what ruins the tile art for me. Put Descent 2E or Imperial Assault and it looks gorgeous in part because they went to a lot of effort to make the transitions invisible. Here, the transitions are extremely noticeable, and it just looks very silly.

Please find a solution for this. It is a real problem.


Agree please remove the art from the connecting parts.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Gaetz
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
There is more surface area acting as the connection with the traditional puzzle shape, it should hold together more securely. But I like the ascetics of the "t", not as large and long...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Fenix
Spain
Logroño
La Rioja
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And what about instead of one Big Connector, a lot of smaller ones?

Something like instead of a Big T, a lot of small T?

It would look like:

-------------
|...........|
|...........|
|...........|
|...........|
|...........|
---T--T--T---
|...........|
|...........|
|...........|
|...........|
-------------

Being a more than one would give it some strength to the union, It would still be possible to flip them (without problems as in Descent 2E) and wouldn't take as much space in the art as a big one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Rombecchi
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AtomicFenix wrote:
And what about instead of one Big Connector, a lot of smaller ones?

Something like instead of a Big T, a lot of small T?

It would look like:

-------------
|...........|
|...........|
|...........|
|...........|
|...........|
---T--T--T---
|...........|
|...........|
|...........|
|...........|
-------------

Being a more than one would give it some strength to the union, It would still be possible to flip them (without problems as in Descent 2E) and wouldn't take as much space in the art as a big one.


They would be much more fragile
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Johnson
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious answer is that we now must invent the holodecks a la Star Trek.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jloisel wrote:
Exo Desta wrote:
Invictus5000 wrote:
Simone: thanks so much for being responsive to this!

Actually, though, I would prefer a third option--could the transitions on the "knob" of the tile have *no* room art on them?

What's most distracting to me is not so much the shape of the connector, but that the room is spilling out into the next.

+1 to this. Good call.


Another +1. This is what ruins the tile art for me. Put Descent 2E or Imperial Assault and it looks gorgeous in part because they went to a lot of effort to make the transitions invisible. Here, the transitions are extremely noticeable, and it just looks very silly.

Please find a solution for this. It is a real problem.

Ares Games are not some new start up. Their components are top notch as are the esthetics. (Their ability to fulfil a KS project on time, on the other hand, is a question. I don't expect to see my "little" Conan-Hyborian Adventures expansion till early 2016... About 1 year behind schedule).

The whole interlocking puzzle tile thing has been solved ages ago with the advent of... well... jigsaw puzzles. I think we need to trust Ares that there WILL be end caps to the map tiles (like Descent or Imperial Assault).

In other words : there's no need to re-invent the wheel.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua D
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Shouldn't the real concern be the size of the tiles?

The prototypes' size has about 4 - 6 mini max on a tile. With rules allowing for outnumbering foes, these tiles are gonna get packed! I find increasing the size of the tiles is far more of an important factor than if my nerdy friend wants a 10 minute depate on the ambience of different shaped connectors and art spills.

But hey, that's me.cool
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care for spilling over rooms, they will still be different. I would had wanted what worked the best, if it still made sense I would had voted puzzle without knowing enough.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.