4 Posts

Magic Realm» Forums » Rules

Subject: Player vs player hidden attack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Munic Aldidas
msg tools
Hello friends

Last Friday I played a Magic Realm play and one basic combat dude arised. I have read the 3Edition rules searching for, but I do not meet anything about.
The cuestion is about attack from hidenn in a player vs player combat and the free attack in the first round. By the rules,at the beginning of the Melee step the characters must mix his attention chits and then the character who is picked select his target. So, in the play I was the White Knight and was hidden. My enemy was the Black Knight and was unhidden. The Withe Kinght did not charged. My friend and me mixed ours attention chits and the White Knight attention chit was picked. The White Knight selected to the Black Night as his target, but because did so he is unhidden. Now the Black Night attention chit is picked. The Black Night select to the White Knight as his target. So, there is not a free attack for the White Knight in this first round of combat although he was hidden at the beginning.
If the Black Knight attention chit would been picked firts, then the Black Knight can not select to the White Knight as his target because the White Knight is hidden, and then the White Kinght can select to the Black Knight as his target and get his free attack in the first round of combat.
So, for a hidden character the only time who he can get a free attack in the first round of combat is if his attention chit is picked the last.
Is this right or always a hidden character in a player vs palyer combat can get a free attack in the first round of combat?
If this is always, why? Where is it in the rules?

Thankyou very much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamer2012 wrote:
My friend and me mixed ours attention chits and the White Knight attention chit was picked. The White Knight selected to the Black Night as his target, but because did so he is unhidden.
I don't have the rules handy, but I don't think you can pick a hidden target. So the White Knight chit is chosen, he could cast a spell or alert a weapon, but he would not be able to choose the Black Knight as his target. Thus, the Black Knight would get a free attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You played it right. Also, if neither is hidden, the second to draw could get a "free" attack against the other. This is why partnerships are so fragile in Magic Realm.

It seems like you are looking for a "free attack from hidden" rule, but there is no such rule. The free attack from hidden against monster is an emmergent result that comes out of the rules. With watchful natives, the natives become immune to it, and in pvp the person to choose targets last is "immune". But, once again, you will find no rule that mentions exceptions to a "free attack from hidden" rule.

This is why I love Magic Realm, and why so many find it so hard to learn. Modern games absolutely WOULD have an "attack from hidden free attack" rule and a list of exceptions. This, and so many other results come about because of the interactions of rules, not because of specific, dedicated rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum Jack has it. I misread the original post. Yes, by attacking you became unhidden, which is why the draw order is so important. No surprise attack for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls