Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefano Molinari
Germany
Sulzbach am Taunus
-Choose a state-
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a hobby developer for Android I have developed an android app to play the free trial version of DDD on smartphones. There is also an option to play custom made maps.

As courtesy few days ago I asked Emmanuel via BGG it would be ok for him if I publish the app on google play (for free obviously) but then I noticed that this game page is not visited that often, so possibly I will never get an answer from him.

What do you think? I would wait one week or so and if I get no response from Emmanuel I would publish the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Given that the company that published D-Day dice went belly-up after stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars from the community, I'd say you should publish it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Power
United States
Mount Airy
Maryland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Police fanMicrobadge: Video gamer since the 70'sMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Golden Video Game CollectorMicrobadge: Somebody get this freakin' duck away from me!
It's a free PnP game. Just a different medium. Go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Molinari
Germany
Sulzbach am Taunus
-Choose a state-
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Emmanuel responded to my IM! He is fine with the publication of the app but is asking me to stick to two-three maps only, which means I have to remove the most nice feature of the app: play on custom maps.

crycrycry

I will respect his decision as he is the creator of the game. Unless someone else can made him change his mind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Molinari
Germany
Sulzbach am Taunus
-Choose a state-
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news, it was a misunderstanding with Emmanuel. I will publish the app with the feature that the users can play also on custom maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Power
United States
Mount Airy
Maryland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Police fanMicrobadge: Video gamer since the 70'sMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Golden Video Game CollectorMicrobadge: Somebody get this freakin' duck away from me!
Outstanding! Looking forward to checking it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaelistus wrote:
Given that the company that published D-Day dice went belly-up after stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars from the community, I'd say you should publish it.
Remember, Emmanuel is not the company, has not stolen anything from anyone, and has the reasonable right to own his intellectual property.
And as you can see from the postings since you made this comment, you can see he's a pretty cool guy who responds to his fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I was assuming the rights to D-Day Dice (And Airborne in your Pocket) belong to Valley/Radiant.

My assumption actually stems from giving Emmanuel the benefit of the doubt! Because I don't have a print and play for AIYP (Which is the least they could have done after the debacle that occurred) and I blamed it on Valley/Radiant not Emmanuel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Kaelistus wrote:
I was assuming the rights to D-Day Dice (And Airborne in your Pocket) belong to Valley/Radiant.

My assumption actually stems from giving Emmanuel the benefit of the doubt! Because I don't have a print and play for AIYP (Which is the least they could have done after the debacle that occurred) and I blamed it on Valley/Radiant not Emmanuel.
All the same, stealing from thieves does not justify your theft, only makes you a thief as well, which in practice, negates your claim to justification of action. It's circular ethics that result in bad spirals for all involved. I'm glad the OP took a different approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullseye71 wrote:
It's a free PnP game. Just a different medium. Go for it.
So just as an FYI to any other app developers reading this post, remember that Google and Apple will remove your app (and possibly suspend your dev account) if anyone contacts them with a DMCA copyright or content ownership claim. They will do that and contact you later. They won't discuss the matter with you. So what Stefano did here was the right approach (he contacted the developer) although as someone else pointed out, he should also contact the publisher although if they are out of business I supposed he is good to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls