Subject: La Messe d’Essen (naming question) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Lisovsky
Russia
Kaliningrad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I translated 7 Wonders: Duel to Russian and there is a question about promo wonder.

In French it's called 'La Messe d’Essen', and according to my dictionaries Messe in French means Mass - [a celebration of] the Christian Eucharist [Last Supper] or Holy Communion, esp. in the Roman Catholic Church (New Oxford American Dictionary).

In English it's called 'The Messe Essen', but there is no such a word in English (although in Old English Mass was mæsse).

But in German 'Messe' also means trade fair and i've been told that the exposition owners even named Messe Essen GmbH.

So my question is: are there a word play, rhyme and friendly joke about how SPIEL (being [one of the two] largest international boardgame expositions) resembles a great religious holiday and convent (like in ancient times) or am i imagining things? (and then why 'Messe Essen' was translated to French and English if it's just the name of the exposition?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In French, the word 'messe' is actually not used for 'fair' but only for the religious ceremony. So I'd say the use of this particular word for this wonder is a direct reference to the 'Essen messe'. I don't believe any reference to the religious meaning of the word is intended.

Just my interpretation of course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, Spiel *is* a sacred event for a lot of boardgamers, so the Messe can be considered to be holy ground
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Pradon
France
Champs
Auvergne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In french translation : there's a words play with the term "Messe" : the basic meaning is religious mass as you say but in french there's an expression "la grand messe" which describe a huge event follow by many people as it was a religious stuff...and I think Essen can be considered as this kind of event
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls