Popular Tags: [View All]
ⱮǾⱤǾƝ ÐɆĽŮẌɆ
Chile
flag msg tools
Lucha y fiesta
badge
Ni corto ni perezoso
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this spell useless if the nearest space containing a gate has no monster on it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Banishment Spell
there was a discussion about this card a while ago... I don't think we hit consensus.
Here is the thread: Banishment spell question

Edit: May I say again how cumbersome the German translation is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qutu wrote:
Do i get this spell right? If the nearest space containing a gate has no monster on it this spell is useless? I have to move towwards other spaces with gates containing monsters to make them nearest or what? Thx

As the card is written, it works on "a monster on the nearest space containing a gate". So it indeed would not work if the nearest space containing a gate has no monsters.

I think the wording is very clear - it is very different than if it said "discard the nearest monster on a space containing a gate".

The people who are arguing about interpretation (at least on the English version of the game!) may not have a very good grasp of English grammar

I am not sure about the German version of the game (maybe the wording there is less clear)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cogan
England
flag msg tools
I think the spell implies a certain amount of tactical manoevering to make best use of it.

Consider that this is the starting spell for Patricia Hathaway who relies on closing gates to make use of her component and passive actions. The Banishment spell allows her to attempt to clear it of monsters before she can encounter the gate. Her strength is woeful so she needs this spell to do her dirty work. In other words she is actually moving towards the gate and so the criteria to only affect the closest gate with a monster fits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An even worse interpretation would be if it only worked on the nearest space. And only if it had both a monster and a gate on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zar Ko
msg tools
Does Banishment work on a epic monster like Zombie Horde?

Also, can you use Banishment from ,lets say Arkham, on a monster that is on Antarctica sideboard and vice versa?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zarec89 wrote:
Does Banishment work on a epic monster like Zombie Horde?

Also, can you use Banishment from ,lets say Arkham, on a monster that is on Antarctica sideboard and vice versa?

Epic monsters can only be removed by having damage equal to their toughness.

You could use banishment across sideboards as long as it is the closest gate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
nobody82b wrote:
The people who are arguing about interpretation (at least on the English version of the game!) may not have a very good grasp of English grammar

They're in good company, then, since a grammatical reading of the text ("discard 1 Monster on the nearest space containing a Gate with toughness equal to or less than your test result") indicates that it's the Gate's toughness that matters, not the Monster's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.