Subject: Discoveries vs Nations TDG - anyone played both? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kuba P.
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hey, I'm looking to add a medium-weight dice game to my collection. I have ruled out Roll for the Galaxy, as the folks I usually play with aren't fond of Sci-Fi stuff.

Has any of you played both Discoveries and Nations TDG? I'd love to hear your thoughts on how they compare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all three mentioned.

Nations is light weight, maybe even a filler. It's good but the decisions are obvious.

Discoveries is light to medium weight. It has a more complex decision tree, but also a counter intuitive and frustrating to teach exploration mechanic.

Roll for the Galaxy is the star of the three (pun intended). The theme can be a turn off, but it's the better game of the three far and away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all three and here's my take:

* Roll for the Galaxy - I should mention that I love Race for the Galaxy and will play it anytime I have a chance. Roll for the Galaxy on the other hand is not for me. It felt like getting together with your friends to each play solitaire. Getting new tiles also added downtime that hurt the flow of the game. In my experience play time was actually longer than Race and that was another strike against it for me.

* Discoveries - I love the art, I love the components, and love its bigger brother counterpart Lewis and Clark. Discoveries itself however was just ok. The problem I had was in a four player game, you really can't plan for the cards that will be there on your turn as they often disappear. I realize this is true in many games, but in Discoveries, this hurts long term strategies. In a lower count game, this isn't the case so I like that more, but at a lower count it's more race like and you have less opportunity to snatch other player's dice so a bit of the game is lost there. Since this is the Discoveries forum, I'm sure my opinion won't be popular but in my opinion, it was a pleasant game but not a keeper.

* Nations the Dice Game - This is the winner of the bunch for me. I love this game. It's easy to teach, has great flow, allows for setting up long term strategy, has great player angst and tension, short time play, and excellent choices all around. I can also say that I've had the privilege to play a future expansion and it is fantastic. I'm not certain that I can speak about it so I suggest browsing the Nations the Dice Game forums for information but I can say that it takes the game to a new level adding additional strategies, rewarding certain less popular paths in the past, and even more choices and variability.

As you can tell by the above, Nations the Dice Game is my clear pick. I would then put Discoveries as the second choice but would recommend trying before buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a few solo games of Nations TDG on boiteajeux and thought it was extremely bland. Game is simply too short and on any given turn you'll have a choice between one mediocre thing and one worse thing. After playing the game twice, I felt I had already seen everything it had to offer. I didn't even bother to play a multi-player game. I REALLY didn't like it. And I'll play lots of types of games.

I'm a fan of Lewis & Clark so I recently got Discoveries, but I've only played it two player so far. A few of the reviews have said that 2player doesn't work well because the dice-stealing mechanic doesn't come into play as much, but we still thought it came into play enough. And it has to since you need more than just your dice to be able to do anything other than the smallest journey cards. The game definitely has more meat to it. And its infinitely prettier.

Haven't played Roll for the Galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McPherson
Australia
Tuggeranong
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Discoveries is the medium weight game you're after, followed by Nations.

Roll is the heavier of the 3.

For others, you might try Pandemic: The Cure, Elder Sign, Kingsburg or the newly released My Village.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna H
United States
Beverly Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Adventures of a Solo Astronaut
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
I played a few solo games of Nations TDG on boiteajeux and thought it was extremely bland. Game is simply too short and on any given turn you'll have a choice between one mediocre thing and one worse thing. After playing the game twice, I felt I had already seen everything it had to offer. I didn't even bother to play a multi-player game. I REALLY didn't like it. And I'll play lots of types of games.

I'd give it another chance in a multiplayer game. Much more interesting than the solo game IMO. But I also like working out the probability of the different colors of dice better than I do in Roll for the Galaxy. I've only played Nations TDG on boiteajeux and while it's quite fun, it's also is a filler that doesn't justify the $30 price tag IMO. Kuba, you might want to try out a game on there and see what you think. It's a very intuitive port of the game. Roll for the Galaxy has much more meat to it but can also get a bit bland as you go along IMO. I haven't played Discoveries yet but I'm hoping it bridges the gap between the two. Another option for a medium-weight dice game for you might be Elder Sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.