Bretagne» Forums » Rules

Subject: Barges rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hazel Halliday
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just read through the English rules and looked at all the questions already posted, but don't think this one has been covered so far.

In the event that a resource runs so low when filling a vessel (using the term vessel here to try to avoid confusion between the card itself and the boats depicted on it ) on, for example, barge card III, so that you can only fill one of the two spaces available with the resource of your choice, can you fill the remaining space on that vessel when it would normally be time to fill the next vessel? This would mean that, you would effectively be a vessel out of synch with the other players and would finish up taking two consecutive final turns to complete your barge card. In other words, can a vessel finish up with two different resources that have been taken in separate turns?

Example: There are 6 wood, 6 stone, 5 brick and 7 sand available
1st turn:
John has barge I and takes 3 wood
Ringo has barge II and takes 2 wood
Paul also needs wood, he has barge III and can only take 1 wood
George has barge IV and takes 2 stone

2nd turn:
John takes 2 sand
Ringo takes 2 brick
Paul . . . can he take 1 of something to complete the space on his 1st vessel, or must he leave it vacant and take 1 resource to fill his 2nd vessel?

I imagine that the answer is "he must leave the space empty", but feel clarification would be useful as, unless I've missed it, the rules don't appear to give an example of a scenario where a slot on a barge card might remain vacant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HazelAnn wrote:
I've just read through the English rules and looked at all the questions already posted, but don't think this one has been covered so far.

In the event that a resource runs so low when filling a vessel (using the term vessel here to try to avoid confusion between the card itself and the boats depicted on it ) on, for example, barge card III, so that you can only fill one of the two spaces available with the resource of your choice, can you fill the remaining space on that vessel when it would normally be time to fill the next vessel? This would mean that, you would effectively be a vessel out of synch with the other players and would finish up taking two consecutive final turns to complete your barge card. In other words, can a vessel finish up with two different resources that have been taken in separate turns?

Example: There are 6 wood, 6 stone, 5 brick and 7 sand available
1st turn:
John has barge I and takes 3 wood
Ringo has barge II and takes 2 wood
Paul also needs wood, he has barge III and can only take 1 wood
George has barge IV and takes 2 stone

2nd turn:
John takes 2 sand
Ringo takes 2 brick
Paul . . . can he take 1 of something to complete the space on his 1st vessel, or must he leave it vacant and take 1 resource to fill his 2nd vessel?

I imagine that the answer is "he must leave the space empty", but feel clarification would be useful as, unless I've missed it, the rules don't appear to give an example of a scenario where a slot on a barge card might remain vacant.

I may be wrong, but I don't think that it is mathematically possible to end up with insufficient resources to fill a slot (based on the the slot order and resource quantity of all of the barge cards). I don't have the game to do the math, but in my plays, all resources were drafted each round and one was left unpurchased after the drafting was completed.

If there are not enough resources to fill a barge slot, I don't think it is ever allowed to partially fill, you have to select a different resource and fill it completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hazel Halliday
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wavedog98 wrote:
I may be wrong, but I don't think that it is mathematically possible to end up with insufficient resources to fill a slot (based on the the slot order and resource quantity of all of the barge cards). I don't have the game to do the math, but in my plays, all resources were drafted each round and one was left unpurchased after the drafting was completed.

I agree that there are always resources left over - so, yes, it isn't mathematically possible to have insufficient. But it is possible to have fewer of the resource that you actually want.

wavedog98 wrote:
If there are not enough resources to fill a barge slot, I don't think it is ever allowed to partially fill, you have to select a different resource and fill it completely.

OK, that raises another question - can you leave a slot unfilled? If not, then you could be completely closed out of the resource that you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Sacchi
Italy
SUNO
Unspecified
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, Paul cannot do it: it's written on page 16

IMPORTANT: You can only place Resources on each
Barge of your card once per round. If you do not
completely fill a Barge, those empty spaces cannot
be filled until the next game round.

All the best,
Mario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hazel Halliday
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mariov wrote:
No, Paul cannot do it: it's written on page 16

IMPORTANT: You can only place Resources on each
Barge of your card once per round. If you do not
completely fill a Barge, those empty spaces cannot
be filled until the next game round.

All the best,
Mario

Thanks for clarifying, Mario. In my view, that point could do with being re-worded to avoid ambiguity. Perhaps it would be better to have said, ". . . If you do not completely fill a Barge, any empty spaces must remain empty and the player will have fewer resources to use during the Action Phase." Saying "until the next game round." just raises doubt about what is meant and leads to questions like mine and misapprehensions like that contained in the second paragraph of E Thomas' response above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.