Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every other game copy I have seen has black seashell cups to hold the pearl currency, which keep a congruent color scheme with the rest of the game.

Why on earth did they switch to clear? They look very terrible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the case for the latest reprint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
PoznaƄ
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 19 BGG posterMicrobadge: I play with blue!
Yes, Kraken also has transparent cup. They've switched because players complained that pearl amount per player is not visible in black cups. Apparently talking to other people when playing a game is passe now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A W
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Abyss GREEN Cover Art
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Apparently talking to other people when playing a game is passe now.
Lol!!

Yeah, who wants to play board games for the sake of social human interaction?!

Euro solitaire is all the rage now!....

If you want to know how many pearls I have in my black cup....you'll have to text me because I also don't take one-to-one cell phone calls anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Jones
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...we always assumed that the number of pearls you had was hidden information. I guess if they're turning the cups clear, that must not be the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hwango wrote:
Hmm...we always assumed that the number of pearls you had was hidden information. I guess if they're turning the cups clear, that must not be the case.
Pearls on shells was public information, according to base-game rulebook. They could be checked at any time by any player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan McBee
Malta
Hamrun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The videos reviews I saw before buying the game showed black pearl cups and I was disappointed to find they were transparent when I opened the box. I thought the black was way nicer, to show off the pearls. But so many games later, I prefer the transparent ones. I don't have to constantly ask my opponents how many pearls they have or try to sneak a peek. This is super important because sometimes you have a strategy that depends on them not realizing it, or else they will go out of their way to ruin it for you. So I really don't want to have my opponents realize their number of pearls is so important to me or it would put them on alert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently talking to other people when playing a game is passe now.

Well - depending on how good people's memory is or how good they are at paying attention, the constant need for inquiry about supposedly "open" information is both annoying and distracting. So: I like the idea in general. No idea how it actually looks though.

Generally, the pearly - while shiny - were not such a good idea IMHO. Seashell money tokens or something similar would have been equally thematic and less difficult to deal with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I contacted the company and asked for black shell cups. They were more than happy to send me five and I had them within a few days. While some of the designs here are a little silly (although novel I suppose) the company behind it is fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OathSworn wrote:
Every other game copy I have seen has black seashell cups to hold the pearl currency, which keep a congruent color scheme with the rest of the game.

Why on earth did they switch to clear? They look very terrible!
You could always slap a coat of paint on the underside of the cups; basic black or something creative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Winnowski
United States
Upper St Clair
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
hi
mbmbmbmbmb