Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our heroes, after slogging through the Orbital Platform mission previously, were hoping for a somewhat lighter endeavor. Moon: Boarding Action looked smaller, but with a lot of red. Would the Rocketeers prevail???

=====================================================================

Professor Russell Pelham and Chief Lance Desoto approached the moon installation with trepidation. They hadn't exactly volunteered for this mission; instead, they were GIVEN the mission, with little intel going in. The Professor had presented his papers on how the aliens were controlling the thralls, and for that reason, he found himself in front of this installation, with the very ambiguous order of "learn more". Chief was sent along with him, to help protect Dr. Pelham while he did his work.

The Professor peered inside, through the window in the airlock. He spotted aliens right away, and in an act of trying to prove he didn't need his "babysitter", he threw open the hatch and shot the leader dead. In the process, he stunned another of the saucermen with his actions, and drew two other aliens towards the noise.

Chief, muttering to himself about "hair-brained doctors", ran up and shot one of the saucermen running towards them. He hits it, and tries to shoot a bug that was crawling its way towards them, but missed it.

As they were reloading, two of the thralls and a bug moved closer, the stunned saucermen recovered, and the door behind them shut mysteriously. There was only one way to go now...

Professor finished reloading, and shot at another leader who had made its way to the group. This time he wasn't nearly as successful, and missed completely. Afraid of being mocked, he fired again, this time killing the leader and stunning one of his followers. Finally, he opened a hatch to their rear.

Seeing the door open behind him, Chief turned to see why the Professor had opened it. He spotted a looming Sentinel, and noticed it was guarding some sort of switch. He shot, but missed, being caught unaware, then moved forward to the thrall control room and shut off the switch. He used up some of his O2 to fire at a nearby saucerman, and had better luck hitting it than he did the sentinel.

A saucerman standing next to the recently-downed comrade fired at Chief, but missed. The Sentinel swung at Chief and hit him squarely in the head. Meanwhile, two thralls and a bug attacked the Professor, but only one was able to land a blow.

The Professor, scared due to being surrounded by aliens everywhere, shot in a fit of rage. He kills a saucerman, and takes a quick moment to open a hatch between Chief and another saucerman. He kills a second saucerman, and stuns another in the process. Continuing his spree, he fires on the sentinel, not realizing he may just anger it. He lands an amazing shot, though, that not only damages the sentinel, but also causes it to stagger a bit. Finally, he uses some of his O2 reserve to subdue one of the thralls in his area. He exerted himself and actually saved this one, rather than just putting it out of commission! The former thrall introduced himself as Stan, and asked "What am I doing here? I'm just a scientist!". Then...the Professor collapsed.

Startled by the Professor's outburst, and not to be outdone himself, Chief kills a saucerman, stunning another in the process. He shoots another saucerman, killing it. He fires a third killing shot at yet another saucerman, and again, stuns one of its partners. He used up some more of his O2 reserve to fire at a bug that was crawling on the ceiling above the Professor, and had gone unnoticed. He killed it, and strafed to hit the sentinel two more times! Finally, he swallowed some pills to recover some of the wounds he had been dealt. And smiled.

The staggering sentinel swung at Chief again, but this time was too befuddled to hit him. A thrall attacks Professor, and hits him. Meanwhile, some other bugs converged on the Professor.

Realizing how lucky he had been the Professor ran forward down the hallway, away from the chaos around him. He bandaged his wounds, and used his air knife to stab an alien along the way, collecting its blood as a sample. It appeared the Professor was back in to his usual scientific mindset, rather than the blood-crazed soldier he was previously. He used a quiet moment (and yet more of his O2 supply) to hurriedly construct a device using some schematics and items he had found along the way. He examined the item he had constructed and determined it was used for stunning any number of aliens that were found in an area together!

Chief fires at the sentinel, dealing it its death blow, shoots a bug where he THOUGHT the Professor was ("Wait, where did he go??!), then took off running in the direction he assumed the Professor had gone.

The aliens, which were hesitant after seeing how powerful these humans were, gave chase to the Rocketeers, but never got close enough to fire.

Both Rocketeers knew they needed to be looking for the elevator to get out of the location, but they also wanted to complete another schematic as well. Bringing back two devices would look much better to their higher-ups than just one. The Professor shot and killed both a leader and his follower, then crept forward to subdue another thrall. This time he wasn't able to rescue it, but the Scientist he had rescued earlier ran forward to assist, and together they were able to rescue another human! They were going to ask the man who he was, but it was obvious upon further inspection who he was: a hobo... The Professor had exerted himself again, depriving himself of yet more oxygen, but found an oxygen tank in the room where the thrall had been roaming to replenish his supply.

Chief moved to the professor, opened a hatch, and shot dead the leader who was on the other side.

The aliens were closing in, and two saucermen fired at Chief. One shot hit him, and the other missed.

The Professor, in a moment of brief respite, opened the hatch in front of him. He moved forward, then sat down to construct another schematic. This time, after examining the device, he was unsure what it could do. He hit the button on it, and saw a saucerman in the next room just POOF!...disappear!

Chief noticed a group of leeches creeping up, and fired at the first one he saw. He fired an amazing shot, and killed all three...IN ONE SHOT! He killed a bug, and stabbed a saucerman with his air knife, collecting its blood sample. Finally, he moved forward to where the Professor was, handing him the blood sample, admitting "You'll be able to do more with this than me".

More saucermen were closing in on the team, and two shot at Chief through a closed hatch, again, hitting him once. The team knew they were right on the brink. They were running out of places where the elevator could be, and hoped there actually WAS an elevator!

The Professor shot at a leader, killing it, and again, stunning another. He noticed that these saucermen were easily stunned when their leaders were taken out, and made a note to report this when they returned. Wanting to try and replicate what Chief had done earlier, shooting at a group of leeches; he too fired at one, but the shot didn't kill all three this time. But wait! The shot went through the front leech, ricocheted off the wall, and DID kill the other two (and almost shot himself in the process)! Then he moved forward to examine the area.

Chief ate some food pills to recover some of his stamina, then shot and killed a saucerman. He used a Time Warp device he found along the way and got two other hits! He used some of his last oxygen supply to shoot and kill another saucerman, and stunning another.

A thrall slowly moved up behind them. A group of bugs moved up to Chief, and attacked him, but he was able to avoid their bites. They heard the sound of other aliens running up behind them as well. Time was of the essence...

The team rounded the corner and found the elevator they had been seeking! The Professor ran forward, until he was just outside of the elevator room. He threw open the hatch, and used his last oxygen to fall into the room. A group of aliens turned, wondering what was happening, but then...THEN....they observed....THE HOBO! They had never seen such a being as this before, and found themselves simply STUNNED!

Chief ran right behind the Professor, covering their escape. He just gets to the elevator, and used nearly the last of his oxygen to throw the switch. THE TEAM ESCAPED!

=====================================================================

So I discovered something in this scenario that would have probably made a huge difference before: Leaders have a movement of two, but Saucermen only have a movement of ONE! How did I miss that before??? Ugh. I made the previous scenario much tougher on myself than it should have been, I think. When I realized this during this game, I literally exclaimed out loud: "WHAT?!". Wow. Just...wow. Anyway, hopefully I remember that next time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Boarding Action mission is a pretty tough one -- without doubling the Saucermen's movement rate! Excellent work accomplishing your objectives, Rocketeer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakaku, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both of you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Little Lizard
United States
flag msg tools
L i z a r d s
badge
with blue blood
Microbadge: Lose your mind. Eat your crew.Microbadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Civilization fanMicrobadge: Icewind Dale fanMicrobadge: Secrets of the Lost Tomb fan
It seems you were using the Strafe ability to target the same hex more than once in a single attack. (For example, the Sentinel.)

It's a nice ability, but not THAT nice. No hex can be hit more than once in a single attack using Strafe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuft wrote:
It seems you were using the Strafe ability to target the same hex more than once in a single attack. (For example, the Sentinel.)

It's a nice ability, but not THAT nice. No hex can be hit more than once in a single attack using Strafe.
Hmm...that's possible. I don't recall now, it's been so long. But I'll definitely watch out for that going forward!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls