Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Hanabi is a cooperative card game where the twist is you have a hand of cards but you can't see your cards and everyone else can. This is one of those little card games that does not offend anyone and anyone can play. It is super simple to play and super simple to teach.

There isn't a way to beat Hanabi. Instead, you continue to try to score better and just sort of see how you do. There is a perfect score you can get, but I've yet to get too close to it. I think to score perfectly you would need to guess correctly a few times. I do feel like I'm getting better at the game even though getting better is more about the language I use and the group think. For example, if I tell you it is a 2 instead of the color it is, that is likely because you can play that 2 now. It is just understood.

The components in my box are okay. The cards are a tad thinner than I would prefer as you do not want any cards marked in this deck. The box is super small and likely can fit in a purse or a pocket even (maybe a coat pocket). This game isn't likely to wow anyone, but people will want to play it over and over again after their first play. I'm sure you can get burnt out on it, but this is an excellent filler to start a night of cooperative games.

The only real complaint about the game is the quality of the cards. It is a pleasant game that most people are going to enjoy. It can get same-y after a while, but I would try to refrain from playing it too many times in a row. Otherwise, this is a must buy for anyone looking for a small little cooperative card game.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are alright. The components are just a set of cards. You do get a bonus color to make the game harder. The cards are not exactly nice stock, but not overly terrible. With a game like this where you don't want the cards to be marked at all, I fear the cards maybe a little cheap. With that said, this is a very cheap game so getting a new deck down the road won't set you back much. Overall, decent components but nothing grand or good here. The theme of fireworks is odd and pasted on. Nothing about the game will lead you anywhere near this theme.

Rule Book:

The rules are presented in full color on a fold out paper. The box is small so they likely did this to save money, but I'm not a huge fan of this. The rules are super clear and you won't have any issues. There are some variants included in the box mostly centered around the 6th color that is included in the box.

Flow of the Game:

Goal: To get a set of cards in 5 different colors in numbers 1-5.

How it plays: Each player has a number of cards in their hand of which they cannot see, but the rest of the players can. This is the crux of the game. You will be laying cards down from your hand to the table (hopefully) in numerical order 1-5 in 5 different colors.

Player turn:

On your turn you choose 1 of 3 options:

1. Play card from your hand to the table. If you do this and it is either starting a new set or adding to the set: great! you score points! If you are wrong, the card is discarded and everyone loses a fuse (there are three to lose until the game is over).

2. Discard a card from you hand. You draw a new card to your hand and the group gets a timer back from the box.

3. Ask for information. This is the crux of the game. Another player can either tell you information about a number of a color. For example: they point directly at the specific cards "these cards are 3's" or "these two cards are red". Based on this information, you figure out what the cards are. This is a 100% cooperative game so nobody will ever lie to you.

The game is simple, but it is so much trying to deduce what you have. For example, if someone points out a 2 to you before telling you the color that probably tells you it is the green 2 the group is looking for. You don't know it is the green 2 and perhaps someone made a mistake telling you that first, but it is a small gamble you must take to get the highest score in this game.

Should I buy this game?:

Yes, yes, yes! This is a fun little card that plays cooperative. This is a game that anyone can play. You can play this with non-gamers or gamers. This is a fun game where you don't really beat but rather try to improve your score. There is some luck and some timing but oh what a job.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
3. Ask for information.
Just to clarify, the third option is for the active player to give another player information, not to ask another player to give you information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed about the card quality. I've gone through more than one deck after wearing them out. But that's a good problem to have.

It's also worth noting that there are several different editions with different card layouts. I like the French edition (with the square cards above), although I don't know how the card quality compares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls