Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Death Keep is my second solo series quest release after Spiders Lair.

Death Keep > http://tools.fantasyflightgames.com/descent/home/13904/
Spiders Lair > http://tools.fantasyflightgames.com/descent/home/13791/

Sometimes i don't want to wait around for a group of players to be available and just want to grab a couple of new heroes and play a quick dungeon crawl style game. I come from a Warhammer Quest background and do sometimes miss with Descent the style of play where you work through a dungeon with a simple quest to complete and being somewhat unsure of your survival.

So i ended up with one or two quick quest scenarios that i use, originally designed for 2 heroes to try and capture the feel of a dungeon crawl complete with a theme and some special room events, but keeping things relatively simple to play. New FFG co-operative packs enabled me to expand these a bit more and ultimately i felt they may merit a release on the quest vault.

Death Keep was originally intended to be the first release in the series as it only requires the core set to play, however the spiders were such an interesting adventure that i play tested that one more often and so it was released first.

The original version 1 contains the optional solo rules for those that want them, i will soon publish a newer version which will remove the solo rules and enable me to add in more theme and text to the adventure.

I hope you enjoy the series. I have one more completed quest called Fire Caverns which will likely see a release if this one gets some likes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United States
Satellite of Love
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairly straightforward, simple OL mechanic - thanks for making this! I will have to give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spot on.

I am trying to give Descent a second chance by playing solo and co-op. This is just what I need to get started.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam faraci
Australia
melbourne
victoria
flag msg tools
Thanks for the great work , keep the solo games coming.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dexblair .
Malaysia
Desa Petaling
W.P.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi, could you have this in bgg as pdf or google doc? for easy access.

tq

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The FFG tool already offers it as a PDF. Are you not able to download it?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Ramirez
Mexico
Puebla
Puebla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really liked the idea and the way the room by room events looked. Going to try this out in solo mode tonight, but will be using Redjak's and Nerdook's d6 variant to see how it works out. Will post my impressions tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Ramirez
Mexico
Puebla
Puebla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I played the quest two times. Both times with Leoric as a necromancer and Grisban as a berserker.

Nerdook's variant went well, with the exception of the OL cards. The smaller deck did leave me wanting more and not being able to call reinforcements was a little bit frustrating as my heroes were plowing through the keep with little resistance, since monsters activate on entering a room. The second playthrough was much more enjoyable. I was also very lucky in obtaining a health potion during one of my searches.

I ended up changing two things.

1)Once the barghests enter combat, the acolytes activate on the following OL turn. Thematically it made more sense to me that if there's a fight going on in the hallway, the noise would wake up the acolytes rather than waking up once the door is open.

2)Once the OL cards ran out, instead of using just the acolytes as reinforcements, I also used the barghests while respecting group size limits. This made for a very interesting pincer and more franatic combat with my familiar slowing down the tide coming up the corridor while Grisban and Leoric fought the crypt dragon and the master necromancer(master flesh moulder).

Although I dislike corridor fighting, I enjoyed this quest, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you - this is very helpful feedback. I do intent to write up a new version which removes all the solo rules and gives me more room for extra theme and rules. I will certainly consider adding these rules.

The two quests i have written are quick quests and Grisban is certainly one of the easier heroes to use in this kind of set up. I do find using him makes an easier ride, some other combinations of heroes will be tougher to complete. The idea i like is try try different ones out as pairs and see what happens.

I can easily make this a longer dungeon which would up the difficulty so i will give it some thought. The overlord deck limit does keep you moving along, you cant sit around and get away with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls