Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Guerra
United States
Eagle pass
Texas
flag msg tools
hi guys

first of all i love space hulk Death Angel. i always play it with at least 2 other people and i love it.

so far everything i've seen about warfighter leads me to believe i will ove it just as much (and from what ive read from other people , its way better than DA ... sweet).

but,

the only thing i'm struggling to find is information about multiplayer

many of the videos i've seen are for missions with low point costs (like 27) how are you suppose to divide that between 2, 3 or 4 players?

are there any scaling rules im missing?

or are you only suppose to use higher point missions? and if so, are there enough in the game to support a group of players for a while? how about a multiplayer friendly campaign?

since i rarely (if ever) play solo , these questions are the only thing holding me back from ordering the game.

*bonus question is the russian/british expansion worth it? 60 cards seem rather low if it includes the russian/brit equipment... (or can russian/brits soldiers equip the normal weapons from the core game as well, even though its american gear? )

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Finn
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
Sunken warplane
Microbadge: Space Hulk fanMicrobadge: Warfighter fanMicrobadge: Transhumanism - live long enough to play games forever!Microbadge: Conan fanMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Ancients fan
Warfighter is an excellent multi-player game. I'm guessing most solo players use a single Player Soldier (and thus get only a single hand of cards) and fill out the rest of their squad with NPS' and Squad Soldiers, but when you have multiple Player Soldiers in the game it adds the tactical dynamic of planning/plotting how to use cards from different hands in combination to best effect - that's a whale of a good time that you don't get when playing by yourself with a single hand of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Heroes of Normandie fanMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: 2019 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: My cat destroys games in progressMicrobadge: Gaming since 1978
Finachetto wrote:
Warfighter is an excellent multi-player game. I'm guessing most solo players use a single Player Soldier (and thus get only a single hand of cards) and fill out the rest of their squad with NPS' and Squad Soldiers, but when you have multiple Player Soldiers in the game it adds the tactical dynamic of planning/plotting how to use cards from different hands in combination to best effect - that's a whale of a good time that you don't get when playing by yourself with a single hand of cards.
I will second this. I have only played Warfighter as multiplayer and it is a blast. The interaction between multiple PS gives a great squad feel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Disc Golf fanMicrobadge: Fawlty Towers fanMicrobadge: U2 fanMicrobadge: Hanabi Deluxe fanMicrobadge: Wine Maker
With more than two, there would be very few missions you could play if everyone wanted to use a Player Soldier. However, this may have changed with the new cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
Microbadge: World at War: Eisenbach Gap fanMicrobadge: TCS: Canadian Crucible fanMicrobadge: Canadian WargamerMicrobadge: Band of Brothers fanMicrobadge: I've been spotted... playing Wing Leader!
Quote:
are there any scaling rules im missing?
There are no "rules", per se, about how to run multiplayer and/or how to scale it for multiple people. One of the great things about Warfighter is its adaptability to different preferences and styles of play.
Quote:

or are you only suppose to use higher point missions? and if so, are there enough in the game to support a group of players for a while? how about a multiplayer friendly campaign?
You can play low point missions or high point missions. I recommend that a decent amount of RP for each player is between 20 and 30. With 30 RP, a player can easily equip a decently skilled player soldier, or a less capable soldier and a NPS or squad soldier. With 20, it becomes a little tight - you would only be buying a low RP player soldier and his/her equipment. 25 is generally a happy medium. I've run five training games with 4-6 people in each game, giving them between 20 and 30 points per player depending on the number of players.

I recommend with three players, you take a 90+ RP mission and divide the RPs evenly, with each player getting ~30 RPs to work with. You can swap a few RPs back and forth if one player needs 3-5 extra RPs and another needs less. Each player should buy at least one player soldier, and use any leftover points for an NPS or a squad soldier.

With four players, you can take a 100+ RP mission and each player gets ~25 points. That's still pretty decent. With 25 points, you can probably get your player soldier but not much else, probably just a squad soldier if you can afford it.

With six players, it starts to get a bit cramped. Take a 120 RP mission and divide the points equally, which works out to around 20 RP per player. You almost certainly can only afford a single player soldier with ~20 RP, and it won't be a terribly well-equipped or high-quality soldier either. But it's still workable - I've done exactly that.

If you are going to play the game with multiple players, I recommend running the introductory mission in the rulebook once by yourself to get a handle on the flow of the game. Once you're comfortable with that, run a two or three player game with the recommended RP counts above. Do not try to jump right into a four, five or six player game with new players the first time you play; it will not go well. Warfighter is a very quick-playing game once you're familiar with it, but if you're just starting it can slow down a lot and this is made worse with lots of players.

When playing with the two or three players for the first time, remind the other players that this is supposed to be a fast-playing tactical special forces game. People should not take ages to deliberate about what to do or the optimal move. Some of the fun in multiplayer play comes out of your friends doing unexpected charges (or occasional "turtling") which you can joke about afterwards.

Quote:
since i rarely (if ever) play solo , these questions are the only thing holding me back from ordering the game.
I bought this game primarily to play multiplayer, and the majority of my plays are multiplayer. I have enjoyed every multiplayer game at every number of players from 2 to 6. Certainly there is a different "vibe" with 2 people vs. 6 people, but they both have their charms.

Quote:
*bonus question is the russian/british expansion worth it? 60 cards seem rather low if it includes the russian/brit equipment...
Remember that these are two different expansions, each with 60 cards. My recommendation is that if you like British or Russian equipment, purchase them. If you don't, you don't need them. I like British kit and the Russian equipment is fun to play as well, since it's a little cheaper, RP-wise, for what you get.

Quote:
(or can russian/brits soldiers equip the normal weapons from the core game as well, even though its american gear? )
Anyone can equip any equipment, unless you decide otherwise. The only limit are your own preferences (or if you're playing a specific scenario where there are limits based on nationality).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: World at War: Eisenbach Gap fanMicrobadge: TCS: Canadian Crucible fanMicrobadge: Canadian WargamerMicrobadge: Band of Brothers fanMicrobadge: I've been spotted... playing Wing Leader!
Kubigaruma wrote:
With more than two, there would be very few missions you could play if everyone wanted to use a Player Soldier. However, this may have changed with the new cards.
I disagree - you just have to get used to only having 20-25 RPs to work with. Once you get used to not piling every skill and weapon attachment on to every player soldier, you can get used to the idea of "cheap" player soldiers.

I played all of my 6 player games with the base set and the first three expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kozure wrote:
Kubigaruma wrote:
I disagree - you just have to get used to only having 20-25 RPs to work with. Once you get used to not piling every skill and weapon attachment on to every player soldier, you can get used to the idea of "cheap" player soldiers.

I played all of my 6 player games with the base set and the first three expansions.
How do you get 6 players in the less than 60 point missions? Some players using NPS and squad soldiers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hahma wrote:
Kozure wrote:
Kubigaruma wrote:

How do you get 6 players in the less than 60 point missions? Some players using NPS and squad soldiers?
I haven't. It wouldn't really be feasible unless players were content to only play squad or NPS soldiers.

You could play 6 players in a 60 point mission, but you'd have to have only one or two player soldiers and the rest would only be squad or NPS soldiers, which wouldn't be satisfying.

In my opinion, the lowest RP totals for each amount of players is:

1 player - 20-25 RPs
2 players - 40 RPs
3 players - 60 RPs
4 players - 80 RPs
5 players - 100 RPs
6 players - 120 RPs

Again, you can get by with less, it's just not as fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Guerra
United States
Eagle pass
Texas
flag msg tools
thanks a lot everyone

thanks to you all, santa's bag is a little heavier & my wallet a lot lighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dardia
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Carcassonne: The Castle fanMicrobadge: History Of The World fanMicrobadge: Perikles fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
I've played with 4, 5, and 6 players - all regulars at our club - and it feels great to work as a team to complete a mission. Points get more scarce as you add players, but as someone else suggested, cards get more plentiful. I thought the game was not as exciting with 6 players, as it took a bit too long for each turn (although if we moved simultaneously after a quick group consultation it would have flowed better).

With 4 players it was ideal and very exciting. I think for that mission we had 90 points. Once you start tangling with Eastern European military, you really need those extra cards!

If you like Space Hulk: Death Angel, you will love Warfighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game fanMicrobadge: Beer fanMicrobadge: Mage Wars FanMicrobadge: Warfighter fanMicrobadge: Heroes of Might and Magic fan
Kozure wrote:

Quote:
(or can russian/brits soldiers equip the normal weapons from the core game as well, even though its american gear? )
Anyone can equip any equipment, unless you decide otherwise. The only limit are your own preferences (or if you're playing a specific scenario where there are limits based on nationality).

I'm not sure about that:
Quote:
You may not choose cards with another nation's Flag. If a card does not have a Flag, Soldiers from any Nation can use it.
- 2nd ed. rulebook, p.10, the paragraph right under the first example in the "Equipping your team" section.
Also the rulesheet from the Footlocker states, that you have to treat the soldiers and weapons from 1st ed. core game and expansions 1-3 as having the US flag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Vladimir17 wrote:
Kozure wrote:

Quote:

I'm not sure about that:
Quote:
You may not choose cards with another nation's Flag. If a card does not have a Flag, Soldiers from any Nation can use it.
- 2nd ed. rulebook, p.10, the paragraph right under the first example in the "Equipping your team" section.
Also the rulesheet from the Footlocker states, that you have to treat the soldiers and weapons from 1st ed. core game and expansions 1-3 as having the US flag.
Ah, good catch. I had not gone through and read the Warfighter 2nd Edition rules from cover to cover and it had not been mentioned in the various posts that discussed changes between 1st and 2nd edition rules.

I mean, it's logical to me that you would pick the right weapons for the right nation, but I didn't think it needed to be a hard and fast rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
dardman wrote:
I've played with 4, 5, and 6 players - all regulars at our club - and it feels great to work as a team to complete a mission. Points get more scarce as you add players, but as someone else suggested, cards get more plentiful. I thought the game was not as exciting with 6 players, as it took a bit too long for each turn (although if we moved simultaneously after a quick group consultation it would have flowed better).
Yes, don't try a 6-player game unless you've got a lot of time or all/most of the players are very experienced or you're a very patient game teacher.

Start with at least one solo game and one or two 2-3 player games before attempting to play with 4-6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls