Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a four player game with several people with massive AP and a habit of not engaging in proper upkeep (aka I am not confident they moved their time markers all the time) so keep that in mind. So anyway, most of us had build all five buildings traveled as far as they could and even built churches. The problem was about 1/2 through we ran out of black markers. Since they are used for everything I chalked it up to mistakes in play. However, I wonder if anyone else experienced this?

This is the first time in years where I felt like no one at the table was being efficient, we collectively weren't playing right (although we were following the rules) and the game dragged on so long I just wanted to end it by always taking plague dice. I did this and as a result I ended the game probably four to five turns early because everyone else was only doing things that move one or two time at most. The winning score was 48 and I had 46, at 42 and a 39 which seemed like very low points considering how long the game lasted.

So after only one play I believe we needed to take black dice more often and not avoid the plague so much. Two I wonder what high scores have been for others who have played this game? Three, what are some strategies to speed up the game and still win because I think we were all trying to do a bit of everything, play safe, maximize every move and these things all slowed the game down to a crawl. I suspect anyone who knows the game could take advantage and end the game quickly and still win.

I liked the game but I am scared to ever play it again as a four player because I am not convinced after this one play that it can be played in the stated time frame and is more likely a three hour game...which for this game's depth is too much time. So any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played two 3 player games... the first time with 3 new players (including myself) and the second time I taught it to 2 new players...

I think the games lasted close to 2h, with explanation... and I'm sure playing time will be shortened with more plays...

And we were never close of running out of black markers... you guys must have butchered the rules somewhere...

The scores you mentioned are in the area of what we scored in both games but nowhere near 4 hours or more (and I'm an AP prone player), and nowhere near the amount of buildings you talk about...

if you want you can check my 2 blog entries where I talk about the game, they have 2 photos each, of the scoring pad and of My Village at the end of the game and you'll see that it's no where close of having that much buildings...

The Week - 19/10/2015 to 25/10/2015

The Week - 26/10/2015 to 01/11/2015
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game several times, but only once with four. We also ran out of the black markers in the four player.

This is easily solved by removing all of the markers from the first ten spaces of the graveyard and just pegging every subsequent death using one marker for the pauper's graveyard section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I don't think we butchered the rules, but I am not convinced that two people were actually moving all the markers all the time (So I guess not following the rules after all). I kept catching one player not moving the proper time. I think people were so afraid of dying that they never picked the more efficient choices.

So I think its good to hear you didn't use all the oct markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
johnnyspys wrote:
Yeah I don't think we butcher the rules, but I am not convinced that two people were actually moving all the markers all the time (So I guess not following the rules after all). I kept catching one player not moving the proper time. I think people were so afraid of dying that they never picked the more efficient choices.

Wondering if your group adhered to the banner rules correctly. Without more details, it sounds like maybe too many banners were getting activated each turn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
framebrain wrote:
johnnyspys wrote:
Yeah I don't think we butcher the rules, but I am not convinced that two people were actually moving all the markers all the time (So I guess not following the rules after all). I kept catching one player not moving the proper time. I think people were so afraid of dying that they never picked the more efficient choices.

Wondering if your group adhered to the banner rules correctly. Without more details, it sounds like maybe too many banners were getting activated each turn...
Nope... black only one per turn, white, as many as the numbers match, black on your player board, once and only that banner.

I think one of the things that would encourage death was more points when picking a death in the appropriate color. Two and one point just doesn't seem worth pushing the issue of death. As I recall in Village I actually tried to kill my players because the points were worth it since the points were good, it helped push the game along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Walk
Austria
Graz
Styria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, in normal Village you always HAD to pick up the black cubes, forcing time to pass. In myVillage you can completely circumvent the black dice, even if the other dice only give you crappy options to chase after. Further, the rat plague doesn't feel that harsh. You really have to concentrate on aggregating many points on your family tree for it being worth wasting two actions to collect them...

Our 3 player game took roughly 3h (albeit, it took us 45 minutes to check and explain all the rules and we took a 30-45 minutes break during the game) and it felt a little like the game just "dragged on". I usually play the "workers die fast + journey" strategy in normal Village. Somehow, this does not seem to really work here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W*m L**naerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also played my first 4-player game yesterday and it took us too around 3 h not counting an explanation of 40min. I think my explanation will be faster next time but there is a lot to explain and set up is hard work.

Although the game lasted a long time it did not drag, I enjoyed every minute of it. I won the game with 57 points using the customer and craftsmen combination along with the customer council chamber. I'm going to try it again next time but better optimized because I bought the wrong cards in the beginning.

We did have a player who frequently forgot to advance his time marker and I think that indeed does a lot for the length of the game. I was the only player who sometimes took black dice, I don't recall the other player ever taking one. I was starting player and thus started the game with only 1 money so I couldn't change the dice value and my one field wasn't that productive.
Very good game in my opinion but I think you should at least count 2h even with experienced players but we'll see about that in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that getting 2 points or even 1 point when people die is a good return when you score around 40 to 60 points in 1 game...

So if you manage to get points by being the first one to kill those villagers you aren't planning on using it's good to do it fast to score those points...

Also, if I see I'm on the lead I have every incentive of making the game go faster to keep my lead and win the game...

In our first game one guy thought he was winning and so in his last 2 rounds he just picked up the black dice twice to kill the final villager and end the game.

So, I don't see the game dragging on, unless the players make it drag on... Villagers dying is inevitable and if you are taking sub-optimal actions just to delay that you are not making the right choices!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
I think that getting 2 points or even 1 point when people die is a good return when you score around 40 to 60 points in 1 game...

So if you manage to get points by being the first one to kill those villagers you aren't planning on using it's good to do it fast to score those points...

Also, if I see I'm on the lead I have every incentive of making the game go faster to keep my lead and win the game...

In our first game one guy thought he was winning and so in his last 2 rounds he just picked up the black dice twice to kill the final villager and end the game.

So, I don't see the game dragging on, unless the players make it drag on... Villagers dying is inevitable and if you are taking sub-optimal actions just to delay that you are not making the right choices!
Agree on 90% of what you say. I think the problem for us was because the end game trigger is 18 deaths, perHaps there should be more or less deaths depending on experience. I think 10 to 12 would be far more interesting for a four player for new players, while for seasoned it would be too easy to end. I have confidence in these designers so I blame the group first and foremost (which includes me) and the only problem I have with the game is the timing listed On the side of the box: unless they meant 60 minutes with four experienced players with no ap at all. I will eventually play it as a two player game and see how that changes but I almost think as the other person stated above, because one can avoid the black dice if they want this slows the game down, but I also think i was missing something obvious.

Ultimately I could not find any design flaws, it was a very elegant game, it just doesn't punish a player enough when taking suboptimal moves. The other players are in charge of punishing the sub optimal players but if they themselves are suboptimal well then it turns into a slog fest. Still convinced it is not the game but the players, but I am not convinced it's for my group. I adjusted quickly but it really requires everyone else in a. Four player to do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game last night, seemed to go pretty well, ran about 2 hours, and we had plenty of black tokens left. We had 4 people, 2 of us had played Village previously, so were somewhat familiar with the idea of time being used.

Definitely enjoyed the game too, pretty good re implementation of Village.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Dixon

Vancouver
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
My first game was a 2 player and it took about 90 minutes, but I had never played and I was learning/teaching the rules. We had plenty of black octagons the scores were, 73 for me and 59 for my wife. I feel like we could play in 45 to 60 minutes now that we understand the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Satellite
Low Earth Orbit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my copy played at BGG.con last week and looooved it. 4 player. Not even close to running out.

May sound obvious, but apart from missing a rule somewhere (like removing tokens for consumed goods/actions) did you actually check the count of black markers that were in your box? Maybe you got shorted some so you are starting with less than intended?

One thing I will say, I do think it's inconsistent to place the markers on to the plague protection church spaces, rather than removing them when taking that action, but it could be in effort to conserve tokens. Thematically and for consistency sake, I like covering the spaces on that particular card, then removing them when using that ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls