Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all this is the thread to ask Sandy any questions desired, and I will answer them to the best of my ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Q) The latest Cthulhu Wars update mentions two errata'd Spellbooks. One of those is obviously Red Sign, but what's the other one?
Sandy – arthur tells me that there are some others, so it might be more than 2. They are all super minor clarifications and balance changes, but for the compulsive (like Arthur) it will be cool.

Q) can you promise that there will be a co-op variant to the skirmish game you are working on? Also will you make it a "premium game"? I'd sure like that!
Sandy – I cannot promise that the skirmish game will be co-op, but I am also working on ANOTHER game which WILL be co-op. I am definitely focused on the premium game idea but then pretty much every skirmish game is a "premium game" already.

Q) Now Sandy says they are not offical.
Sandy – I never ever said they were official. I refuse to take the role of the bad guy here. In fact, when Richard launched his campaign, he titled it “Cthulhu Wars: The art of Richard Luong” and we made him change it immediately, because he is NOT Cthulhu Wars and his campaign is not ours.

Q) when he promoted Richard's Artbook. Sandy never said the Hounds were not official units for the game
Sandy – I also didn’t say that the Warpo Cthulhu figures weren’t official units. Here are my exact words from the update when I promoted Richard’s kickstarter:

Richard Luong, the fabled artist behind Cthulhu Wars, has launched a Kickstarter campaign featuring a great art book. As exclusive add-ons, you can also get plastic sculpts of the Hound of Tindalos and an alternate version of Great Cthulhu (alternate from the one he designed for Cthulhu Wars, I mean).

I see nowhere in that statement in which I say that his product is official. I don’t even say that I did the rules for the Hound.

Q) What's your vitello tonnato recipe? Does vitello tonnato differ in any notable way from Argentinian vitel toné?
Sandy – since I’ve never had vitel tone, it’s hard to say. But I know that Argentina has a lot of Italian influence, so maybe. Here is what I did. I boiled some pork tenderloin with carrots, onion, celery, cloves, garlic, bay leaves, beef broth, and sparkling white grape juice (the last two were my attempt to substitute for white wine). When finished, I put the pork in the fridge to cool, then reduced the stock on the stove, strained, and saved it.

I then used a blender to mix tuna, hard-boiled eggs, anchovies (with their oil), capers, key lime juice (the only citrus I had available), EVOO, some balsamic vinegar, and some of the reserved stock.

I sliced the pork very thin and spooned the sauce on top, then capped it with a couple of capers. I think I used a few too many capers in the sauce when I blended it, but otherwise it tasted pretty good. Most of the recipes I see basically call for adding tuna to mayo and that sounded like boring old tuna salad, so I liked this one more.

Maybe next time I’ll try it with actual veal, which is sadly harder to get in the USA than Europe. I think this is because European cows are mostly dairy, and so the otherwise useless male calves are used for veal. In the USA, we have beef cattle, and so the male calves get raised to full growth as steers. Hence, less, and more expensive, veal here.

I added the leftover (and overcooked) carrots, celery, etc. from the stock process into some chicken noodle soup, which is overcooked usually anyway so who cares?

Q) Would you ever consider doing a map based on the ramblings of "The Mask" about the Dynasty in Carcosa.
Sandy – sure why not? I’ve been encouraged to do an interstellar one too. And one set on Shaggai. I think if I did a Shaggai one, the world would actually be in the process of destruction during the course of the game, as in Areas would physically be removed from play each turn.

Q) Where you disappointed that Halo wars did not Include a Flood Faction?
Sandy – yes, intensely. Particularly since the original plan was to include the Flood, and it got dropped based on lack of energy. Boo.

Q) Was there ever any talk about retouching on Age of Mythologies, like having additional factions that were never released?
Sandy – there was indeed discussion about doing Age of Mythology 2, to follow Age of Empires III. But the fiasco that was the development process for Halo Wars and then the evil ineptitude that is Don Mattrick murdered Ensemble, putting paid to any new games.I don't know how that guy has any positive reputation left at all. He has cost companies so many millions. His assassination of Ensemble destroyed a group that had never sold less than a million copies of each game - the single most profitable group inside Microsoft Games. On the other hand, Ensemble's death means I can do Cthulhu Wars, so I guess it's a ill wind that blows no good.

Q) will I be able to change the shipping address once the KS ends?
Sandy – so far in all of our previous campaigns we’ve been able to. I see no reason it would be impossible this time.

Q) Will the new errata’d faction sheets in OS2 be die cut?
Sandy – not the ones you get for a $1 pledge. But if you buy the die-cut add-on they will include the errata.

Q) I will aready get the 6-8 player earth map from OS1. Do you guys prefer that I buy the new map bundle (and throw one map away!), or should I order the the other maps individually (same price for me). Witch option generates most profit for you guys?
Sandy – ordering them individually is best for us.

Q) But what do you think of a map centered on the Colour Out of Space? With a well on the middle, emanating corruption phase after phase, in a rather unpredictable fashion.
Sandy – hmm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Horror Film aficionado, just how high would you rank Director Don Coscarelli and his masterpiece 'Phantasm' ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Are the new 3-8 player ritual track(s) we're getting with the $1 pledge going to be 5 different strips of cardboard as they've been before or will they be one solid redesigned piece of cardboard as has been suggested in other threads?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
Q)
Q) Was there ever any talk about retouching on Age of Mythologies, like having additional factions that were never released?
[i]Sandy – there was indeed discussion about doing Age of Mythology 2, to follow Age of Empires III. But the fiasco that was the development process for Halo Wars and then the evil ineptitude that is Don Mattrick murdered Ensemble, putting paid to any new games.
As a kid I designed (on paper) an Aztec faction that would gain faith by sacrificing their own units. I wanted a slightly Zerg-y feel, where you had an extra layer of worker management because you knew they'd keep dying off to produce your myth units.

It turned out that Black Goat embodied that playstyle really well and I didn't realize until just now maybe that's why they're my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel N
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Letters from Whitechapel fanMicrobadge: Pandemic fanMicrobadge: Cosmic Encounter fanMicrobadge: Kemet fanMicrobadge: Neuroshima Hex! fan
What is the favorite expansion map so far? Which one changes gameplay the most? I know all of then are different, I just watched the new video explaining all maps and its pretty clear that each map suits a different kind of player, and all are great... I will be getting just one map and cannot decide which one to get.

Are you including corrected Yellow Sign's Passion, Screaming Death and He Who Shall Not Be Named spellbooks in the $1 pledge? Passion is included in the errata, and for the other two it has been made clear that "For both of Yellow Sign's Spellbooks, you MAY (not MUST) take a second action".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I Love the 'Feel the Love' threadMicrobadge: My contribution was deemed PyuredeadbrilliantMicrobadge: Adobe userMicrobadge: Noble Knight of the Love ThreadMicrobadge: Thanos fan
will stretch goals like the faction dice be available separately after the KS or will they be added to second edition printings?
Same question for the archives for faction GOOs and the Tcho Tcho sculpts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed the first KS campaign at the Book of Eibon level, so I got a LOT of stuff! Now I'm in to Onslaught II at the $150 level. What I would like a definite clear answer to is:

For return backers, will we automatically receive upgraded punchboard faction sheets for all eight factions, or do we need to add-on the $10 upgrade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Curwen

New York
msg tools
Hi Sandy, recently on the OS2 Kickstarter forum, you guys were talking about all these cool horror movies you have seen that I have never heard of. I don't recall the ones you listed and they might be too hard to go back and find so I was hoping you could list some of them here. I have been doing a horror movie night ongoing for the past 7 to 10 years with my cousin and friends (about 2 to 3 times a month) and it would be great to take a look at some of those!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solan wrote:
The stone tablet Ubb guards is said to contain all of the knowledge of the Outer Gods, so you could have made the Tcho-Tcho tablet spellbook do virtually anything you wanted it to. What made you select the power you did for that spellbook?
Answered already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Pokémon GO fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Pokémon GO - Team MysticMicrobadge: Elder Sign Protected!
Sandy Petersen wrote:

Q) Now Sandy says they are not offical.
Sandy – I never ever said they were official. I refuse to take the role of the bad guy here. In fact, when Richard launched his campaign, he titled it “Cthulhu Wars: The art of Richard Luong” and we made him change it immediately, because he is NOT Cthulhu Wars and his campaign is not ours.
Q) when he promoted Richard's Artbook. Sandy never said the Hounds were not official units for the game
Sandy – I also didn’t say that the Warpo Cthulhu figures weren’t official units. Here are my exact words from the update when I promoted Richard’s kickstarter:
Richard Luong, the fabled artist behind Cthulhu Wars, has launched a Kickstarter campaign featuring a great art book. As exclusive add-ons, you can also get plastic sculpts of the Hound of Tindalos and an alternate version of Great Cthulhu (alternate from the one he designed for Cthulhu Wars, I mean).
I see nowhere in that statement in which I say that his product is official. I don’t even say that I did the rules for the Hound.

Not sure why this is such a point of contention.

The fact is that Sandy is writing the rules for the Hounds, and Arthur has stated the unit can be referred to as "approved by the designer".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Solan wrote:
The stone tablet Ubb guards is said to contain all of the knowledge of the Outer Gods, so you could have made the Tcho-Tcho tablet spellbook do virtually anything you wanted it to. What made you select the power you did for that spellbook?
Answered already.
Thanks, I somehow missed thatblush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mohammed
msg tools
mb
Sandy Petersen wrote:

Q) But what do you think of a map centered on the Colour Out of Space? With a well on the middle, emanating corruption phase after phase, in a rather unpredictable fashion.
Sandy – hmm.
This would be a great mechanic for a map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy - About how many revisions have the maps ended up going through for amount of locations and their connections? And their size, since I assume that's not random, right? Were any of the maps relatively easier or more difficult than the rest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S

Lakewood
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may already be out there, in which case feel free to beat me about the head and shoulders: In order to get the Stretch Goals, does someone have to pledge at least $150 BEFORE the Kickstarter ends? Or can they pledge $1,increase it to $150+ AFTER the Kickstarter ends and still get the Stretch Goals? I am already in for at least $150, but a clarification of this now might avoid a torrent of Kickstarterage later...

L-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ぶる ぶるっ
msg tools
Night fell and the hours dragged on, but still we murmured to each other of the King and the Pallid Mask, and midnight sounded from the misty spires in the fog-wrapped city.
badge
We spoke of Hastur and of Cassilda, while outside the fog rolled against the blank window-panes as the cloud waves roll and break on the shores of Hali.
mbmbmbmbmb
HPLustcraft wrote:
This may already be out there, in which case feel free to beat me about the head and shoulders: In order to get the Stretch Goals, does someone have to pledge at least $150 BEFORE the Kickstarter ends? Or can they pledge $1,increase it to $150+ AFTER the Kickstarter ends and still get the Stretch Goals? I am already in for at least $150, but a clarification of this now might avoid a torrent of Kickstarterage later...

L-
HPLustcraft, I posted this repky to you on the KS comment section and it was promptly buried in various backer conversations and musings;

I had to dig a bit, but Arthur specifically states that if a backer reaches the $150 threshold, whether it being during the campaign or after in the pledge manager, then they are entitled to the SGs.

existoid wrote:
if you ever reach $150 (at least by the time we close the PM) you'll get all SGs.
Source: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/20712780#20712780

It may not be the best thing for unlocking new stretch goals, but the Petersens really should be commended on how much they are willing to do for their fans and backers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
CrawlingChaos wrote:
Sandy Petersen wrote:

Sandy – hmm.
The only thing is that it would seem odd to have all the great old ones fighting over a blasted heath that fit at the bottom of a single reservoir. While the idea is interesting, the scale is colossally off.

I'd rather just have a terror colour out of space that was a miniature of the old well and surrounding blasted heath. no picture needed. It would need to be like the hound and be indestructible because it is a colour after all, and its ability would be corrupting whatever was in the space it was in. Scale would still be off, but not as off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two questions! First, if there are going to be named High Priests like Herbert West with their own special power, why would any player want to get a generic High Priest instead?

Second, if you ever do make a Shaggai map, could you perhaps include teleporting temples in some locations which players could seize control of and use to get off the world for extra doom points and a permanent loss of those models which escape?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Gilbert
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q) Will you share more info about how the Tcho Tchos parasitize other factions as mentioned in the OS2:Faction video(6:00)?

Q) I know you have a tendency to like what some consider overpowered abilities in your game under the idea that if everything is overpowered it is probably balanced. However out of all the new OS2 units which do you think is the most original and overpowered mechanics wise?

Q) Haven't heard anything lately about your game The Gods' War that was in development, will it be the next game you publish after the current kickstarter and when will we hear more about the hinted at skirmish game?

Thanks again Sandy. Have also been loving the design blogs on the ks. Always wondered about those Miskatonics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mohammed
msg tools
mb
Smilinbrax wrote:
CrawlingChaos wrote:
Sandy Petersen wrote:

Sandy – hmm.
The only thing is that it would seem odd to have all the great old ones fighting over a blasted heath that fit at the bottom of a single reservoir. While the idea is interesting, the scale is colossally off.

I'd rather just have a terror colour out of space that was a miniature of the old well and surrounding blasted heath. no picture needed. It would need to be like the hound and be indestructible because it is a colour after all, and its ability would be corrupting whatever was in the space it was in. Scale would still be off, but not as off.

You're right about that, why fight over a tiny portion of the world when you can fight for the entire world.

The design of the terror (I agree it should be a terror) should remain as a figure of a well. Perhaps add something to it to indicate something living inside (when you look inside the well). When summoned, it is situated to the area it is summoned in.

I've mentioned the effects of it in the comment section for OS2: tokens which are double sided flip to reveal a color with different effects according to the color revealed. At the end of every turn the tokens spread to adjacent areas further affecting those areas.

Recently I thought of the back of the tokens to be the color grey, and of course the other sides being a single color with a total of 3 to 5. As I said before each color will represent a different effect on the area.

In the event that a faction would situate itself to one colored area that does not have a huge effect on it, I thought the tokens should randomly switch areas somehow. This way it prevents factions from hording colored areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mohammed
msg tools
mb
Forgot to add that I agree on the indestructibility as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Follmann
Brazil
flag msg tools
Smilinbrax wrote:

Yeah, I considered that problem. We could plausibly have a Colour ravaging an entire world, but then the well would look off, and we would need another thing as a stand-in. Maybe a huge crater with a hint of color? But again, we will have the GOOs fighting in a library soon enough ;p
I proposed the map because I really dislike the idea of having the Colour as a recruitable unit. Not knowing what its goals or motivations even are, or even if its sentient, or anything for that matter, is the core of what makes the story so great.

CrawlingChaos wrote:

In the event that a faction would situate itself to one colored area that does not have a huge effect on it, I thought the tokens should randomly switch areas somehow. This way it prevents factions from hording colored areas.
I think we could have different colors having distinct negative or/and positive effects, and each doom phase the tokens get randomized again, besides spreading out. That way, an area never goes uncorrupted, but it may change the state of the game drastically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
About the library. It's no ordinary library, I'm not sure if they say specifically if it s the size of the planet it is on, but it is huge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Follmann
Brazil
flag msg tools
Smilinbrax wrote:
About the library. It's no ordinary library, I'm not sure if they say specifically if it s the size of the planet it is on, but it is huge.
Oh yeah, but it's still weird picturing Great Cthulhu ruling over a fountain or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S

Lakewood
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buruburub wrote:
HPLustcraft wrote:

L-
HPLustcraft, I posted this repky to you on the KS comment section and it was promptly buried in various backer conversations and musings;

I had to dig a bit, but Arthur specifically states that if a backer reaches the $150 threshold, whether it being during the campaign or after in the pledge manager, then they are entitled to the SGs.

existoid wrote:
if you ever reach $150 (at least by the time we close the PM) you'll get all SGs.
Source: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/20712780#20712780

It may not be the best thing for unlocking new stretch goals, but the Petersens really should be commended on how much they are willing to do for their fans and backers.
Thanks for doing that digging! So it sounds like $150+ pledge at any time, before or after the KS ends, will receive the Stretch Goals...The more the merrier!

But it's unlikely that money added after the Kickstarter will unlock MORE stretch goals. :-( It is what it is. The Petersens have gone above and beyond already. It is awesome to behold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] |