Trekking the National Parks: First Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Comparison to Ticket to Ride? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People keep mentioning it is similar to Ticket to Ride.

What is similar and what is different between the two?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some thoughts:

Similarities:
1) Fixed map routes to follow
2) Collect cards to build routes (TtR) or to travel routes and collect park cards or claim postcards (Trekking)
3) TtR has scoring by tickets completed, length and number of routes built, and possible bonuses (minus value of tickets not completed) / Trekking scores by collecting stones, by collecting park cards, and (optional) by claiming postcards (minus value of unclaimed, but collected, postcards)
4) Simple rule set for both; Trekking might be considered a little more difficult for new game players, but it makes sense and is easy to learn
5) Game time is similar (at least for our 5/6 player games)

Differences:
1) Player token moves park-to-park in Trekking; no player tokens used in TtR
2) Player blocks park and route through park while token is located there in Trekking (but no blocking airports)
3) TtR is all about building track; Trekking is all about traveling to parks (or drawing postcards) -- no building involved
4) TtR requires player action of building routes to connect cities specified on tickets; Trekking leaves player decisions open regarding which parks to visit, whether to try to collect most stones of one or more colors, whether to collect and claim postcards; Trekking allows player more options, but rules are simple, like TtR
5) Trekking works great for 6 players; TtR works best for 5 (max), but can be adapted for 6 (adding double routes and stations)

We thoroughly enjoy playing both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very great comparison, I have nothing else to add here other than my family prefers this to ticket to ride. We love our national parks and the theme is something that drew the kids in right away. They could associate with the parks we have visited. I highly recommend it for any family. It does seem to play much better at the higher player count. The map is wide open at 2 and 3 players. The set collection and majority is a cool concept that isn't in ttr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play Ticket to Ride I feel a lot of suspense because I am afraid someone is going to take my route. Does Trekking have the same kind of suspense involved? (After reading the rules I am guessing it is not as suspenseful, but that's just a hunch.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rogerramjet3361 wrote:
When I play Ticket to Ride I feel a lot of suspense because I am afraid someone is going to take my route. Does Trekking have the same kind of suspense involved? (After reading the rules I am guessing it is not as suspenseful, but that's just a hunch.)
I would say it's not as suspenseful, because the route blocking isn't there. But, the race to collect stones creates some urgency, if you take that approach for your scoring, especially with 5 or 6 players trying to collect the most of several colors (or the most total stones). Going the postcard route requires many cards, usually in a wide variety of colors, with the possibility of not completing some, and thus receiving negative points. So, there is some tension, especially as it becomes clear that the game is about to end.

Personally, I enjoy Trekking more than TtR, but both are popular with our family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chicago Bears fanMicrobadge: Go Bears!Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Chicago Bears fan - Walter PaytonMicrobadge: On a crusade to spread Eurogames
There is no tension in either game. Both are snoozefests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cadena
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need Jesus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No tension in TTR? Ha, it's the only game I know of where my hands get legitimately sweaty (overshare?)... when I'm working on multiple major tickets, waiting to see what happens next, tension in a box! (Well, no other games causes this except Escape, but that game has a soundtrack and a 10 minute timer, TTR is all due to gameplay.)

Anyways, does anyone have any opinions on this game 2 player? My wife and I don't mind the less tense 2 player TTR, wondering if there's something that keeps this game from working well 2 player?

Edit: Though I totally disagree with Jimmy's TTR comment, I love his avatar. Just saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FranklinT wrote:
No tension in TTR? Ha
Agreed!

FranklinT wrote:
Anyways, does anyone have any opinions on this game 2 player? My wife and I don't mind the less tense 2 player TTR, wondering if there's something that keeps this game from working well 2 player?
I am in the exact same boat and would like to know anyone's opinions as well. The only other thing that might stop me from buying this game is the expensive price tag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FranklinT wrote:
I am in the exact same boat and would like to know anyone's opinions as well. The only other thing that might stop me from buying this game is the expensive price tag.
[/q]

The game does have a expensive price tag, but the components and quality is top-notch. I would not recommend this if majority of your plays will be with only 2 players. The board is too wide open, and there would be very little competition for parks and also for gems. If you will be playing it with 4+ all the time, I will play this over TTR any day!

I haven't looked to see if there are any variants, but you could do something similar to Power Grid and block off sections of the US. This would tighten things up, but I have no idea how it would play. This is a great game, but thrives at or near max player count.

Have you considered Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries for 2 players? It's outstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[/q]
Have you considered Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries for 2 players? It's outstanding.[/q]

Nordic Countries is indeed a fantastic 2 player game. I think TTR is generally enjoyable 2 player anyways if you don't miss the cutthroat play. I think Trekking gets bonus points for playing up to 6, even if the 2 player sounds like it might be less great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rudolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does not work well with 2 players. Needs 3 or 4 to make it playable, especially at the high price tag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Putzmanrudy1 wrote:
Does not work well with 2 players. Needs 3 or 4 to make it playable, especially at the high price tag.
I disagree. I played a 2-player game last week and found it to be as much fun and challenging as with 5 or 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls