Subject: Special Abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
H Chapman
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Please note: I have not received my copy of the game. The questions come from the text on the cards I see in The Rahdo Run Through.

I ask these questions just to clarify in my mind how I believe special abilities work. Thanks in advance.

Toucan: Every time one of your counters is introduced or migrates to South America, gain two cards at the end of your turn.

1) Does EVERY TIME on a card imply "when triggered" as opposed to "once a turn," that is if I do it twice in a turn, do I gain 4 cards at the end of my turn??

2) If I introduce a counter to South America and then evolve the Toucan into something else, do I still gain the 2 cards at the end of the turn??

Bison/Reindeer: when multiplying, you may multiply one creature once without having to discard a card.

3) If Bison is active, can I multiply a creature once without discarding, evolve the Bison into a Reindeer, and then multiply a creature once without discarding??

By the way, the further explanation of cards section of the rules did answer a question regarding the Toucan -- that you do not gain the 2 cards for introducing a Toucan to South America.

Without this, I know several "rules lawyers" who would argue:

A) the rules state that a special power is active AS SOON AS the card is placed,

B) the rules state that the creatures card is placed (1a-i) and then the counter is placed (1a-ii),

C) the card specifically uses the term COUNTER, not creature,

Therefore: the power of the Toucan obviously is (can be) activated when its own counter is placed into South America :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary James
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard is pretty quick at answering rules questions, but here are my answers (I have played three times)

1) You can only use a card ability once per turn, so no, you'd only get 2 cards. I think the 'Every Time' is to clarify that it is not just when you first introduce a creature to South America, which might be implied if it just said 'When you introduce...'

2) Good question, since the card was triggered when you placed the token I'd say yes, but I'd be interested in Richard's ruling.

3) Yes, because you have only used each card ability once.

Gary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Chapman
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thanks, Gary, for the quick reply.

garyjames wrote:
1) You can only use a card ability once per turn, so no, you'd only get 2 cards. I think the 'Every Time' is to clarify that it is not just when you first introduce a creature to South America, which might be implied if it just said 'When you introduce...'

Yep, EVERY TIME can be interpreted a few ways. And given that I don't have the cards yet, I don't know if the term EVERY TIME shows up on other cards, but if it does, I sure hope the explanation holds true for every time EVERY TIME is used, lol.

garyjames wrote:
2) Good question, since the card was triggered when you placed the token I'd say yes, but I'd be interested in Richard's ruling.

Yes, I agree. Since the further explanation section specifically says this power doesn't apply to the Toucan because the Toucan was not already there when the power became active, it appears this power is active during the turn and not just at the end of the turn. So this would lead to the special power being activated when the introduction occurs, and therefore you could evolve after that and still get the 2 cards.

garyjames wrote:
3) Yes, because you have only used each card ability once.

I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garyjames wrote:

I may be wrong here playing as if you get 4 cards, but the rules read

"A creature's ability can be used once every turn (e.g. #111 lion, #121 dromedery, #123 ibex) or, if applicable, when the ability is triggered (e.g. the Sloth #149)." (emphasis mine)

It is indeed open to interpretation, whether "or" refers to the timing or the number of times the ability can be used. I'm really curious about Richard's ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pa19443 wrote:
Toucan: Every time one of your counters is introduced or migrates to South America, gain two cards at the end of your turn.

1) Does EVERY TIME on a card imply "when triggered" as opposed to "once a turn," that is if I do it twice in a turn, do I gain 4 cards at the end of my turn?
Every time does mean every time. So you can in theory gain four cards. (Note that whilst a creature’s ability can only be used once per turn, the toucan’s ability is ‘every time’, so even though the creature could generate four cards the ability itself is only used once.) In practice it is very difficult to achieve this and unlikely to happen very often. Remember also the limit of two of your own creatures in one continent at the end of your turn.
pa19443 wrote:
2) If I introduce a counter to South America and then evolve the Toucan into something else, do I still gain the 2 cards at the end of the turn?
If you introduce a counter into South America whilst your toucan is still your visible (top) bird card then its ability applied at the time of your action and you still gain the two cards at the end of your turn. As soon as you evolve the toucan into a different creature you no longer have the toucan’s ability and cannot gain from this ability again. The toucan no longer exist in the world and can never return! 
pa19443 wrote:
Bison/Reindeer: when multiplying, you may multiply one creature once without having to discard a card.

3) If Bison is active, can I multiply a creature once without discarding,
Yes.
pa19443 wrote:
evolve the Bison into a Reindeer, and then multiply a creature once without discarding?
Yes. As you have only used each (the bison and the reindeer) creature’s special ability once each in that turn.
pa19443 wrote:
By the way, the further explanation of cards section of the rules did answer a question regarding the Toucan -- that you do not gain the 2 cards for introducing a Toucan to South America.
Correct. The toucan must already be in your menagerie in order to benefit from its special ability. So you cannot gain cards for introducing the toucan itself. See explanation of cards 134 – 138. As you mention this (intentionally) covers your ‘without this’ scenario.

I hope you enjoy the game when it arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.