Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm looking for a (thematic, if possible) medium-weight Euro that isn't just a generic worker placement or trading type game. I want minimal luck, so preferably no dice elements. A unique theme would be a plus, too.

And it needs to be available on Amazon for a reasonable price.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: BloggerMicrobadge: My Games PlayedMicrobadge: Decktet challenge!Microbadge: Spirit Island - BlightMicrobadge: You will start to feel very sleepy...
I've played a lot of China lately. Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps The New Science?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otherworldly Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean T
United States
Tucson
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fresh Fish?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gold West

Also +1 Fresh Fish
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
La Città
Taluva
Tammany Hall

All on Amazon right now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pittsburgh Penguins fanMicrobadge: Pittsburgh Steelers fanMicrobadge: Go Steelers!Microbadge: Pittsburgh Pirates fan Microbadge: Pittsburgh Steelers fan
Snowless11 wrote:
I'm looking for a (thematic, if possible) medium-weight Euro that isn't just a generic worker placement or trading type game. I want minimal luck, so preferably no dice elements. A unique theme would be a plus, too.

Thanks.
Aren't Thematic and Euro games polar opposites in fundamentals?
Quote:

Thematic Games contain a strong theme which drives the overall game experience, creating a dramatic story ("narrative") similar to a book or action movie. Some well-known examples are Battlestar Galactica, Twilight Imperium and War of the Ring.

This type of game often features player to player direct conflict (with the chance of elimination), dice rolling, and plastic miniatures.

A Thematic Game is usually created around its main dramatic theme, which its rules and mechanics aim to depict. Themes typically involve fighting or good-versus-evil conflicts with heroes and villains. Science fiction and fantasy themes are common.

This is contrasted with Strategy Games, also known as "Eurogames." Eurogames are usually built around an elegant set of mechanics, with a more general theme (e.g. Power Grid or Agricola). Themes tend to invoke more everyday events such as trading and building.

Thematic Games are sometimes called Experience Games or "Ameritrash" games (meaning "American-style boardgames"). The latter name can be controversial, but is generally embraced by long-time lovers of the genre and is not considered derogatory.
Or are you asking for a Euro with a theme that doesnt feel transparent?

Agricola
At the Gates of Loyang
Above and Below
Eclipse
are games I consider medium weight Euro's that are well themed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A few things: It needs to play 2 players. Games that only play 3 or more get played much less.

Also, by a reasonable price, I mean 40 or less on Amazon.

And I mean Euros that don't have a pasted on theme.

But thanks for the recommendations so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowless11 wrote:

Thanks.
Can you give examples of a game that you consider to be a generic euro? Everyone has a different opinion.

Firstly, I'd suggest that you re-consider your opinion of dice because there are plenty of games that use dice in an ultra low-luck way, I can see that someone already suggested Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia.

My own suggestion would be Dungeon Petz. Don't let the cute artwork fool you, this game would be in the upper half of the medium-weight category. Worker Placement..... no wait.... but with a bidding-type mechanic as part of the game (place your workers into groups, bigger groups get placed first). Excellent integration of mechanics and theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Karpavicius
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Agricola
+1 At the Gates of Loyang
+1 Above and Below
+1 Eclipse

Also check out Keyflower if you haven't already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stupidly Happy
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Down along the creek, I remember something
Microbadge: I love Korean foodMicrobadge: I love Indian foodMicrobadge: I love Thai foodMicrobadge: I love Japanese foodMicrobadge: I love German food
Steaming in to recommend Shipyard!

(Edit: There are a couple reasonably-priced copies in the BGG Marketplace)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
if you could be anything you wanted...
badge
i bet you'd be disappointed.
mb
Hyperborea might fit the bill! I haven't played it yet myself (but I did pick it up a little bit ago), but it's definitely unique and has a pretty neat theme. Don't let the box art throw you off, it's definitely a euro.

You can get it for 35ish (+ shipping) on Cardhaus and Miniature Market, although MM only has one left:
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/40691...

Their postage is only 6 bucks, which puts it right around your 40 dollar price range.

Alternatively, I think it's 50ish on Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Ye
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really like Rococo, it is medium-weight Euro with a unique theme, no dice and not trading type game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myrmes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Krawhitham wrote:
Snowless11 wrote:

Thanks.
Can you give examples of a game that you consider to be a generic euro? Everyone has a different opinion.

Firstly, I'd suggest that you re-consider your opinion of dice because there are plenty of games that use dice in an ultra low-luck way, I can see that someone already suggested Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia.

My own suggestion would be Dungeon Petz. Don't let the cute artwork fool you, this game would be in the upper half of the medium-weight category. Worker Placement..... no wait.... but with a bidding-type mechanic as part of the game (place your workers into groups, bigger groups get placed first). Excellent integration of mechanics and theme.
I don't inherently hate luck or dice. I actually have Euphoria and some of my favorite games are more Ameritrashy.
I just want another Euro where luck is a minimal factor.

And I've thought about getting Dungeon Petz before. I just don't know if it speaks to me, you know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Perfectly fitting all your points is Hawaii. Right now $33.83 on Amazon.com.

Check out my comparative review: Comparative Review 1: Hawaii = The Castles of Burgundy Fixed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe B
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Eeeeexcellent
Microbadge: Mario Mushroom fanMicrobadge: New York Yankees fanMicrobadge: 1-Up
I might be stretching the definition of "euro" but Arctic Scavengers might fit the bill.

Also, I recently acquired but haven't played Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition). I can't truly recommend it, but I have every reason to believe it will be a hit with me and my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expedition: Northwest Passage

Medium weight thumbsup
Unique and thematic thumbsup (might be the only tile-laying game about the search for the Northwest Passage)
No dice thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schemaille
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to chime in with a recommendation for Fresco. With a BGG average weight of 2.6, it's about as medium-weight as they come. There is a worker-placement element, but it's far from generic and in fact plays into one of the game's most unique mechanisms: wake-up time and worker happiness. There are no dice to worry about, and luck is minimal.

As for theme, how many games do you know where you're competing to repair and repaint a cathedral's ceiling fresco? The theme shines throughout the game, and it's easy to teach and learn. As for Amazon, a quick peek shows that it's available for under $50. There are about a dozen add-on modules to spice things up, too. If you decide on this game, I'd recommend integrating modules 1, 2, & 3 from the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorenas wrote:
+1 Agricola
+1 Above and Below
+1 Eclipse

While keyflower is great, it is hardly thematic. I'd also condemn Eclipse as decidedly not thematic.

Keyflower and Agricola are great games, agricola communicates the struggle of subsistence farming quite well via in game stress. Not everyone likes that bit, but it really makes the game.

Keyflower is pretty much luckless (initial draw is the only bit of luck in the game, and very minor).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pittsburgh Penguins fanMicrobadge: Pittsburgh Steelers fanMicrobadge: Go Steelers!Microbadge: Pittsburgh Pirates fan Microbadge: Pittsburgh Steelers fan
darthain wrote:
Jorenas wrote:
+1 Agricola
+1 Above and Below
+1 Eclipse

While keyflower is great, it is hardly thematic. I'd also condemn Eclipse as decidedly not thematic.

Keyflower and Agricola are great games, agricola communicates the struggle of subsistence farming quite well via in game stress. Not everyone likes that bit, but it really makes the game.

Keyflower is pretty much luckless (initial draw is the only bit of luck in the game, and very minor).

I'm not sure how you could say Eclipse is not thematic?
Plastic Miniature Ships
Ship diagrams with upgradable components
Epic battles

Eclipse is not something with a pasted on theme... like say, Lords of Waterdeep which could just as easily be about collecting the ingredients to make a pizza. That's a pasted on theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
darthain wrote:
Jorenas wrote:
+1 Agricola
+1 Above and Below
+1 Eclipse

Plastic Miniature Ships -
Ship diagrams with upgradable components -
Epic battles -

Eclipse is not something with a pasted on theme... like say, Lords of Waterdeep which could just as easily be about collecting the ingredients to make a pizza. That's a pasted on theme.
Plastic Miniature Ships - do not make something thematic, components do nothing for theme, if you have an ounce of imagination.
Ship diagrams with upgradable components - meh
Epic battles - if by epic you mean roll some dice and pray, nothing about eclipse is really epic.

Eclipse is 'spend as much money available, maybe a bit more and take X actions, some of which will ideally increase my available money and get me more actions'. It is quite a dry, rather dull experience. One review said it best: Space Taxes. Never once was I piloting a fleet of cruisers into battle, or exploring unknown sectors and fighting ancients. I was claiming VPs and increasing my engine the entire time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowless11 wrote:
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar (< $40 on amazon.com)

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |