Hide
8 Posts

España 20: Volume 1» Forums » General

Subject: Espana 20 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Rankin
msg tools
Here I am playing my first war game which I hope will bring the history of the time to life.
I have recently purchased Napoleonic 20 a Hundred Days and Espana. As I unboxed the games and cleaned the counters my partner (the management) said “How much did you pay for those? Are you out of your mind? Well I know it’s only paper and cardboard, but I look at it like this; if I bought a picture it would be only canvass, paint and wood. If I bought a book of photographs by a gifted photographer like Joe Cornish, David Noton or Charlie Waite it would only be paper and ink. But they would both give me a lot of pleasure and being a photographer who has won competitions with my work I can produce good images but I acknowledge the time, effort and skill that have gone into their photographs. It’s the same with games.
With Arapiles 20 there is a spelling mistake (causes its sdie a loss of one) on the game turns track, and the track 1 to 5 looks like an overlay on the original. It’s not a problem.
I have found a problem playing the game solo. Being British I don’t want the naughty French to win.
I may buy Prussia 20 or Wallachia 20 next because it won’t matter which side wins as none are British.
I would like a solo company level (60 men) game in the Napoleonic period but no one does this. Could light troops (troupes légères) trained as skirmishers (jaeger, tirailleur, 95th) be used to simulate small wars (petites guerres)? I cannot play WWII games as family members fought and some died in WWII, it just seems wrong. The same goes for more modern wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wesley gulick
United States
French Camp
California
flag msg tools
Mr. Rankin, Welcome to gaming history. Gaming history for me takes me much deeper into insights and understanding conflicts that any book can, both compliment each other greatly.
Espana 20 and the whole "20" series make for very accessible simulations/games that play easily in one sitting.
Any typos or errors you find in your games you should consider contacting the company to inform them. Making a game is hard work and this will help them to correct any errors in future production runs.
I have empathy for my cardboard units, and my decisions that bring about their destruction (they all represent human beings). I do prefer "simulations" to "games" as I'm looking for Models of history, living fluid books. I do play one's where I have lost family or friends in, but they are always in the back of my mind... a way of getting that deeper understanding,and to Honor them, the known and unknown. That said, I have played with many people who refuse to take a certain side for what they represent, but for me it is history and/or changing of history; or future conflicts or "what if"/ alternate history models.
Happy Gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
catswiskers wrote:
Here I am playing my first war game which I hope will bring the history of the time to life...I have found a problem playing the game solo. Being British I don’t want the naughty French to win...I would like a solo company level (60 men) game in the Napoleonic period but no one does this. Could light troops (troupes légères) trained as skirmishers (jaeger, tirailleur, 95th) be used to simulate small wars (petites guerres)? I cannot play WWII games as family members fought and some died in WWII, it just seems wrong. The same goes for more modern wars.
Hi, Kenneth. Indeed, welcome aboard! If you're looking for solitaire games, Victory Point Games has a lot of other options for you. There is the States of Siege (TM) games. They are designed from the ground up as solitaire games. Typically, they have shorter playtimes with some notable exceptions. My sense is you'd enjoy "Zulus on the Ramparts" or "Cruel Necessity".

There's also the Death or Glory (TM) series. "In Magnificent Style" is about Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg. "A Near-Run Thing" is slated for release very soon. It is about the final assault of the Imperial Guard at Waterloo.

"Wings for the Baron" is another solitaire option. Designed for 3-5 players. There is a set of rules for solitaire play.

http://www.victorypointgames.com/games/states-of-siege-tm.ht...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wesley gulick
United States
French Camp
California
flag msg tools
catswiskers wrote:

I would like a solo company level (60 men) game in the Napoleonic period but no one does this. Could light troops (troupes légères) trained as skirmishers (jaeger, tirailleur, 95th) be used to simulate small wars (petites guerres)?
I too would like to play a game at this scale in Napoleonic. So far this is what I've found but it is set in the Colonies of North America & not exactly to your scale.
Flintlock: Black Powder, Cold Steel - Volume I: Carolina Rebels 60 men to a counter.
Never seen this game, nor played any yet from this company. Have only 6 Napoleonic games in my collection and played 1 more back in the 1970's.
I read somewhere of British Allied snipers at the Battle of Waterloo picking off French Officers before the main battle started. This had to be affecting moral for them. I imagine the Hanoverian snipers with their longer range guns and marksmanship felling these officers. Would enjoy finding something that can model this and historical accounts of it from both sides.
Will keep on looking and posting back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Rankin
msg tools
Hello Wesley and thank you for the welcome. I am in big trouble with the management now as I have purchased Fuentes de Onoro 20 and Field Commander Napoleon. I am taking your advice and ignoring the fact that Napoleon was French. I will try to follow his battles from the books I have. Are the games which are simulations like the ones I have seen in videos on Boardgamegeek with lots of counters, charts and stats? These I guess are a big step up from what I have now. I am enjoying this whole gaming thing. Regards Ken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Rankin
msg tools
Hello David. Thank you for the welcome. I have looked at the states of siege games and Ottoman Sunset appealed to me. On the Victory Point web site I looked at all the components and downloaded the rules. The site is very good. But I do not like the idea that I am fighting for survival from the start. In Magnificent Style is a better bet, so I will wait for the new Imperial Guard at Waterloo. I just purchased two more games,(in one I will be playing as Napoleon!)and the management has pointed out that I am buying games but not playing them. I think everyone does that. So I better start playing. Regards Ken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
catswiskers wrote:
...I have looked at the states of siege games and Ottoman Sunset appealed to me. On the Victory Point web site I looked at all the components and downloaded the rules. The site is very good. But I do not like the idea that I am fighting for survival from the start...
Curiously, I just had "Ottoman Sunset" on the table. To be clear, you can lead the Ottoman's to triumphant victory over their enemies. However, this is fiendishly difficult and by design. The appeal of States of Siege (TM) games is how quickly you can set-up, play and clean-up a game, all the while having a satisfying game experience within an hour. (There are some notable exceptions -- "Cruel Necessity" and the forthcoming reboot of "The Lost Cause" aka "To Fight & Die for Dixie." Further, when you are done playing, typically, you want to try again.

Take a look at "Zulus on the Ramparts". It is an intense tactical game as 150 British soldiers take on 4000 Zulu warriors. Sounds like it will have the tactical action you are looking for.

http://www.victorypointgames.com/zulus-on-the-ramparts-2nd-e...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zulus. Yes. Almost at twenty plays of that bad boy. More layers than you'd expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls