Hide
7 Posts

Star Realms» Forums » Strategy

Subject: WWYD: To scrap or not to scrap? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Downey
msg tools
Here is the situation: game is fairly even (I may be "losing" a bit), I'm on my 2nd deck. I can scrap a scout in my hand and buy battle mech, or not scrap a card and buy flagship. I've got 2 scrap cards in my deck already.

What would you do? I know there's other factors involved, but let me just ask which choice would be better all things being equal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Happily marriedMicrobadge: Parent of Four GirlsMicrobadge: School TeacherMicrobadge: Plays Games with Children
I would definitely go for the battle mech. If I'm not mistaken, it gives you attack power, card scrapping, and a card draw when allied. The fact that you already have two scrap cards in your deck means that you'll thin your deck faster while dealing a fair minimum of damage relatively quickly and consistently.

It's always going to depend on what comes up in the trade row, but even if you find yourself scrapping yourself out of trade power, there are still plenty of cheap cards in the deck that will support a thin deck doing medium damage consistently. I'd take that any day over the deck that gambles on a big combo [if the right cards come into your hand].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: BGG Star Realms League Tournament of Champions participantMicrobadge: Coffee addictMicrobadge: BattleTech fanMicrobadge: University of California - BerkeleyMicrobadge: San Francisco Giants fan
If it's looking to be a slower game, meaning there are bases to buy and/or your opponent isn't going for a rush, I'd get the Battle Mech. There is still plenty of time for it's scrapping to pay off.

If it's looking to be a faster game, meaning there is lots of cheap combat to buy and/or your opponent is going for a rush, then I'd get the Flagship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I met my spouse playing gamesMicrobadge: Cortex Plus fanMicrobadge: Parent of One BoyMicrobadge: Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff fan
I'd probably grab the flagship, if I've not solidly committed to red already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Downey
msg tools
Thanks for the replies guys, I did choose to get the battle mech (lost anyway )

What homer said makes a lot of sense; as usual, looking at what is on the trade row is the key to most good decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Gartner
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I take Flagship almost every time, unless there's a dearth of blue or I don't think me opponent can afford it.

Gaining five life in a scrap deck is huge. If you can get to the point where you are gaining five life off of it in a thin deck, it's hard to lose. If you don't think the bonus will fire more than once, you can probably ignore FS and go for BM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls