Subject: Wasabi isn't the only thing hot about this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Harrison
United States
New Bloomfield
PA
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I love books!Microbadge: Lords of Waterdeep fan - HarpersMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Copper ReviewerMicrobadge: Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle fan
On a trip to London, I happened upon a sushi place called YO! Sushi. You sat at a counter while a conveyor belt brought plate upon plate of delicious sushi dishes past you. If you saw one you liked, you took it. When you’d had enough, the waiter tallied up your bill. The different colored plates were worth different amounts.

Sushi, Go! pretty much operates on the same principle. Different sets of cards are worth different point amounts. Sounds simple enough, right?

What’s In The Box?
Inside the brightly-colored tin, you’ll find 108 beautifully illustrated cards on solid cardstock. Smiling sashimi, grinning maki rolls, green globs of wasabi, happy puddings, and squid, salmon, egg nigiri. You even have chopsticks cards.

Gameplay
Each player starts with a hand of ten cards. Play begins by deciding which card you want to draft, and you pass the rest to your left. Now you have nine cards to pick from, and you pass the rest. This continues until all cards have been drafted, and you score points based on the sushi meals you’ve prepared. At the end of round three, the player who has the most points wins.

The fun comes in the choices you must make: Do you keep the wasabi (worth no points on its own, but it triples the point value of a nigiri card if you get one) or do you hold on to a pudding (a card that doesn’t score at the end of the round, but does at the end of the game)? Do you add another maki roll to your set, or do you try for your third sashimi—knowing that the squid nigiri card you’re passing may be just what she needs to beat you? And at each passing of the cards, your choices get more and more limited. It can get pretty cutthroat—in a good way—for a “kids game”.

Final Thoughts
The choices, the planning, and the risks you take make this seemingly light game deeper than one would think. My three nephews are extremely competitive, and they LOVE this game. At a recent vacation, this is the game that came to the table the most often. I enjoyed watching how they approached their hands. One was all about the long game and loading up on puddings, another collected maki rolls for points, and the third used the wasabi + nigiri approach. Any game that allows different approaches like this, along with the potential for smack talk, is always going to be a hit at the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben G
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Carl Chudyk fanMicrobadge: Ferox fan - NativesMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card GameMicrobadge: Pedal power - yes thanks!Microbadge: Peace.
Nice quick, concise review. I agree that there's more strategy than most people realize at first.

My OCD compels me to point out one issue...

Bookman3380 wrote:
[...]Each player starts with a hand of ten cards. [...]
Pretty pedantic, but that's only during a 2 player game.

In a 2 player game, deal 10 cards to each player.
In a 3 player game, deal 9 cards to each player.
In a 4 player game, deal 8 cards to each player.
In a 5 player game, deal 7 cards to each player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Harrison
United States
New Bloomfield
PA
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I love books!Microbadge: Lords of Waterdeep fan - HarpersMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Copper ReviewerMicrobadge: Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle fan
Very sorry for that oversight! I appreciate your keeping me honest with the card update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls