Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

We had a great play last night. And I wanted to check up on a couple of rules I leaned on heavily to make sure I am doing things correctly.

Quests
Can you complete multiple of the same quests and reap all benefits? For example, I had a quest that gave me points and gave +1 to a stat for having 4 figures in Valhalla. I had three copies of this quest committed. So do I get to score all three cards? And I still only need to have 4 in Valhalla right? There's no mention of anything in the rules about "spending" resources to complete quests so I am guessing this is OK.

Shamans
One of the Shamans say when they are destroyed they can instead move to a neighboring outer space. There is an upgrade card that says you as an action can destroy 2 units to up a stat by 1. Now if I choose 2 Shamans on the board to trigger the upgrade, to I get the +1 stat and can instead just move the Shamans? And if so, as long as there were 2 neighboring spaces, couldn't I just max out all my stats with this combo?

We played it that you cannot exploit that shamans like this, and I agree. But wanted to check people's thoughts. Maybe I am being so conservative and if I haopen to draft all these three 3 cards I deserve this benefit / exploit.

Thanks all. We love this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quests - yes.

Mystics - no. If memory serves, the card says you may move instead of being destroyed just to make it more clear. If they are not destroyed, you cant upgrade one stat, obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Duran
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do multiple quests and multiples of quests, but only two of any given quest in an age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh J Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you find that you can only do two of any given quest in an age?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Sputnik Monroe wrote:
Not a limit in the rules, just a limitation of the cards. There are only two of each quest, each age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
drabel wrote:
Sputnik Monroe wrote:
Not a limit in the rules, just a limitation of the cards. There are only two of each quest, each age.

Here is a list of all the cards and it shows there are 3 quests in a 5 player game, so you could have 4 Glorious Death quests. 2 From base game Age, 1 from expansion, 1 from previous Age. So you could complete 4 Glorious Death quests at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drabel wrote:

Actually, it's a rule on page 17:

Quote:
There is no limit to the number of Quests you can commit to during each Age, and you may commit to two Quests of the same type (each giving its reward independently).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Niddi77 wrote:
drabel wrote:

Quote:
There is no limit to the number of Quests you can commit to during each Age, and you may commit to two Quests of the same type (each giving its reward independently).
It's merely stating you may complete multiple quests of the same type. No limit to how many of each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drabel wrote:
Niddi77 wrote:
drabel wrote:

Quote:
It's merely stating you may complete multiple quests of the same type. No limit to how many of each.
The rulebook appears to have been written without taking the expansion content into account, and taken in context, it appears to imply the ability to complete multiple quests of the same type with two as a possibility rather than a distinct limit.

Clarification would be good though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Beller
United States
Bronson
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
I really wish there would be an official ruling on the multiples of the same quest types. We have been playing no more than 2 of the same type, and that works very well with Odin's Throne. Just wish there was an official ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saer Chy
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Mynnotaur wrote:
I really wish there would be an official ruling on the multiples of the same quest types. We have been playing no more than 2 of the same type, and that works very well with Odin's Throne. Just wish there was an official ruling.
There is an official ruling, the rulebook! And it says: There is no limit to the number of Quests you can commit to during each Age.

I don't know about you guys, but 'no limit' is pretty clear to me. There is no reason to believe this rule was meant to implement a limitation, it's actually there to tell the exact opposite: there is no limitation to the amount of quest cards you can commit to.

So why would you think no more than 2 duplicates is allowed when the rules tell you there is no limit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Beller
United States
Bronson
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
And you only quote the first part of the sentence.

The other half: "...and you may commit to two quests of the same type."

The way it is written, it could be interpreted either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saerchy wrote:
Mynnotaur wrote:
There is an official ruling, the rulebook! And it says: There is no limit to the number of Quests you can commit to during each Age.

I don't know about you guys, but 'no limit' is pretty clear to me. There is no reason to believe this rule was meant to implement a limitation, it's actually there to tell the exact opposite: there is no limitation to the amount of quest cards you can commit to.

So why would you think no more than 2 duplicates is allowed when the rules tell you there is no limit?
Because some are interpreting "...and you may commit to two Quests of the same type (each giving its reward independently)" as prescriptive for a limit of two of the same quest. I do not agree based upon contextual evidence, but I understand the confusion. The lack of a response (when other questions were answered very quickly) leads me to believe that there may be some internal discussion going on about this scenario, so I could see an official ruling going either way based upon how the designer/team feel about the impact on balance (this question may not have been thoroughly considered when the 5th player expansion was added).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saer Chy
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Mynnotaur wrote:
And you only quote the first part of the sentence.

The other half: "...and you may commit to two quests of the same type."

The way it is written, it could be interpreted either way.
Surge1000 wrote:

Because some are interpreting "...and you may commit to two Quests of the same type (each giving its reward independently)" as prescriptive for a limit of two of the same quest. I do not agree based upon contextual evidence, but I understand the confusion. The lack of a response (when other questions were answered very quickly) leads me to believe that there may be some internal discussion going on about this scenario, so I could see an official ruling going either way based upon how the designer/team feel about the impact on balance (this question may not have been thoroughly considered when the 5th player expansion was added).
But there is no indication that the rule was meant as a limitation, because the exact same sentence says the exact opposite thing: there is no limit.
I can understand it could be interpreted as a limit if the rules just said 'you may commit to two quests of the same type', but that's not the case. It would be completely illogical to state that there is no limit followed by a limitation in the exact same sentence.

Ofcourse it could be that this ruling was not thoroughly considered with the 5 player expansion and that the ruling might be changed in the future, but that is not the point here. The point here is the interpretation of the current rules, which literally say there is no limit to the number of quests you can commit to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Beller
United States
Bronson
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Then the rule should have stated: "There is no limit to the number of Quests you can commit to during each Age."

Instead, there is a specific number listed (2) of quests of the same type that you can commit to.

If you are correct, then the rule should have stated: "There is no limit to the number of Quests you can commit to during each Age, and you can commit to multiple quests of the same type."

But the rule does not say "multiple", it states instead a very specific number, "two". And you can go over that number just using the base game. If a quest is the card kept from the previous age, you could have three quests on your hand of the same type.

All I am asking for is an official clarification of the rule. There is enough ppl asking about it, and the fact that someone who even agrees with you feels there should be a clarification, shows that there should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saer Chy
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Mynnotaur wrote:
Then the rule should have stated: "There is no limit to the number of Quests you can commit to during each Age."

Instead, there is a specific number listed (2) of quests of the same type that you can commit to.

If you are correct, then the rule should have stated: "There is no limit to the number of Quests you can commit to during each Age, and you can commit to multiple quests of the same type."

But the rule does not say "multiple", it states instead a very specific number, "two". And you can go over that number just using the base game. If a quest is the card kept from the previous age, you could have three quests on your hand of the same type.

All I am asking for is an official clarification of the rule. There is enough ppl asking about it, and the fact that someone who even agrees with you feels there should be a clarification, shows that there should be.
I agree with you that the rule could've been written more clearly.
I believe that in this case the 2 quests was merely an example and not a limitation.
But ofcourse an official clarification would be best.

There is no use in arguing if the rule should be written differently or if it was intended differently, because in that case there is no way for us to know what is right or wrong until there is an official clarification. So all we can do now is look at the rules with the believe that it's written correctly. With that in mind it simply makes no sense to write that there are no limits followed by a limitation. It does make sense if it was written as an example to clarify you can also commit to duplicates and therefore you get the reward for each individual quest card even if they were duplicates.

If the 2 quests were meant as a limitation, the sentence would contradict itself. So with the believe that the rule is written correctly, how would you justify that contradiction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saerchy wrote:
[q="Mynnotaur"]If the 2 quests were meant as a limitation, the sentence would contradict itself. So with the believe that the rule is written correctly, how would you justify that contradiction?
But, written the way it is, it CAN NOT act as a limitation. That sentence, as written, can not grammatically limit the quests to two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saer Chy
Netherlands
flag msg tools
epilepticemu wrote:
Saerchy wrote:
[q="Mynnotaur"]If the 2 quests were meant as a limitation, the sentence would contradict itself. So with the believe that the rule is written correctly, how would you justify that contradiction?
But, written the way it is, it CAN NOT act as a limitation. That sentence, as written, can not grammatically limit the quests to two.
That is exactly my point. But some people did interpret it as a limitation to a maximum of 2 duplicates.

I'm not really sure why you are telling me this haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saerchy wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:
Saerchy wrote:
That is exactly my point. But some people did interpret it as a limitation to a maximum of 2 duplicates.

I'm not really sure why you are telling me this haha.
I'm agreeing with you. I'm just saying that you need to be even more forceful in rebutting the notion that the rules are wrong. They aren't at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, a player could declare the Mystic dead, even if he MAY be retreated instead--he doesn't have to. Not sure if the player would want to do that, but you never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you only get the stat bonus if the mystic is destroyed. if he retreats, he isnt destroyed, so it doesnt work. If a mystic loses a battle with the valkyrie, and retreats, the bonus glory arent awarded.

As for the quests. You can complete 3 of the same quests. This literally follows both parts of that rule. "Unlimited quests" and "complete 2 of the same" To complete 3 of the same, you are completing 2 of the same, then an additional. If the rule said "only 2 of the same" then 3 would not be allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls