Taboo» Forums » Rules

Subject: Yet another dispute rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jessica T
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
So I have another rules dispute question...

Last night while playing Taboo, my husband and I were on different teams. The guess word was "helmet" and one of the taboo words was "bicycle", I said to my teammate "you need this if you're riding a motorcycle" and my husband buzzed me because motorcycle and bicycle both have "cycle" in it.

I get the rule that you can't say any form or part of the word and it makes sense for "pay" and "paycheck" or if it were "boat" and "steamboat" but motorcycle and bicycle are two totally different things!

Like what if a taboo word is "television" you can't say "telephone" because they both have "tele" in them??

Please help!! Needless to say we got into a big fight about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
Microbadge: Princes of Florence fanMicrobadge: I delete all my 'Free Game Contest Participant' microbadges so people don't think I'm a scrounger.Microbadge: Glass Road fanMicrobadge: Game Group Organizer
Your husband is wrong. This applies to all situations involving argument between a married couple, of course, but I happen to think he's specifically wrong in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cthulhu Wars fanMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Nightfall fanMicrobadge: I talk trash during gamesMicrobadge: I play with red!
I have to side with the husband on this.

You can not say words that contain part of the taboo words. Cycle, or any variation thereof would get a buzz at my table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James L
United Kingdom
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Dice Masters: Uncanny X-men fanMicrobadge: TraderMicrobadge: I field SidekicksMicrobadge: I Love WinterMicrobadge: Buffy fan
MajaiofDreams wrote:

You can not say words that contain part of the taboo words. Cycle, or any variation thereof would get a buzz at my table.
I do remember a rule about using parts of other words. There's no rules on the files list for this, but in the summary someone uploaded:

Quote:
Rules For Clues
▪ the Clue Giver cannot use any part of the word printed on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
Microbadge: Princes of Florence fanMicrobadge: I delete all my 'Free Game Contest Participant' microbadges so people don't think I'm a scrounger.Microbadge: Glass Road fanMicrobadge: Game Group Organizer
Radaeron wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

I do remember a rule about using parts of other words. There's no rules on the files list for this, but in the summary someone uploaded:

Quote:
Rules For Clues
▪ the Clue Giver cannot use any part of the word printed on the card.
My interpretation is 'part of speech'. So if the card said 'painting', you couldn't say 'painter', which is obviously connected.

You can reduce this to absurdity, as the OP pointed out, because 'part of the word' could be a prefix, a suffix or even a single letter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cthulhu Wars fanMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Nightfall fanMicrobadge: I talk trash during gamesMicrobadge: I play with red!
If the card said "painter",
You could not say Paint, painting, painted, fingerpaint, paints...

No one is saying you have to be insane and come down on a single letter. But you can not say any part of the word. No one is going to buzz you for the end parts of the word like "ing" or "er" But if the forbidden word is bicycle, you can't say cycle, tricycle, motorcycle, cycling, cycled, cycles.

And it is not like that is a hard word to get around with clues either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls