Brandon Henton
msg tools
Hi, my question is concerning the use of Gandalf's hero card power while answering riddles. His power states that you play with the top card of your deck face up; however, the riddle effects always make you shuffle, name a series of card traits, then discard.
My friend talked us into shuffling, then immediately after the shuffle, Gandalf's face-up card ability is in effect, then name the card conditions for the riddle (since we now know what the next card will be), and then discarding. Thematically, we felt this was appropriate as my friend said, "what riddle can you ask Gandalf that he wouldn't know?"
I was just hoping for some clarification on this since I've found nothing in the FFG FAQ for it.
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rules supplement, you must make your guess first, before shuffling and discarding, so Gandalf won't know the answer, but he will tell you if it's worth spending a resource from Bilbo to discard another card to try to get the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Henton
msg tools
Ah! Thanks again, Tony. This was some oversight on our part, as the Treachery card "Not Fair! Not Fair!" says that you name a card type first then discard (no shuffling). We generalized this order of operations, making this win invalid. -_-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls