Mega Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: Table Size for 18p game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thierry Vlaeminck
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
What table size is recommended for a full 18p game, where there is enough room around the table for each player to place his reference card, cheatsheets and all the common stuff (AST/Census Track/Commodity Bank....)

Would a 1m by 2,5m rectangular table cut it or is some more real estate required?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I haven't played MCiv, I have played the Civ Project and that required a substantially larger table!

We usually also have a separate table where the advances are laid out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerart de Haan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
A 1 by 2.5m rectangular table just works for the putting down the full mapboard and each player's player mats with tokens. However, you will need additional table space for laying out the Trade cards, Civ Advances, credit tokens, Archeological Succession Table and quick charts, which can be done on (a) different table(s). As you may find yourself having issues fitting 18 chairs around the table with the mapboard, you may consider to remove the chairs and play standing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Vlaeminck
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Allright thanks for the information above.

That is exactly what I was looking for.

The 18p game will not happen at home but at our local gamestore so I wanted to be sure we would at least have a good table to put the map on with all the reference sheets around.

AST, Census, technology and trading will be done around a side table.

I can imagine 18 players trading simultaneously will really feel like the New York Stock Exchange. Maybe I should consider two colors of T-shirts or hats to clearly show who is Eastern and who is Western.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerart de Haan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
ThierryV wrote:

I can imagine 18 players trading simultaneously will really feel like the New York Stock Exchange. Maybe I should consider two colors of T-shirts or hats to clearly show who is Eastern and who is Western.

During trading there is no need to distinguish players from the Eastern and Western Civilizations. When playing with separate EAST and WEST blocks, everbody has a strong incentive to trade with all players because part of the commodities from each stack are shared among the EAST and WEST blocks (2 commodities for 12-14 players; 3 commodities for 15-18 players). This means that you often have to trade with the full pack of players to be able to complete your set of commodities rather than just the people from your own block.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerart de Haan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
And yes, it surely feels like the New York Stock Exchange; the main difference being the lack of screens with news flashes and updates of price developments :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerart de Haan wrote:
it surely feels like the New York Stock Exchange; the main difference being the lack of screens with news flashes and updates of price developments :-)
What a excellent idea for an expansion... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Donghi
Italy
Near Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerart de Haan wrote:
However, you will need additional table space for laying out the Trade cards, Civ Advances, credit tokens, Archeological Succession Table and quick charts, which can be done on (a) different table(s).
So what's the recommended space for these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
North Carolina
flag msg tools
. . . then came the king's son, wounded, sore bestead, and weaponless, and saw the broken sword, hilt-buried in the dry and trodden sand, and ran and snatched it, and with battle shout lifted afresh, he hewed his enemy down . . .
badge
A spicebush swallowtail caterpillar that was roaming my neighborhood.
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: LotR LCG fan - I go ALL IN Questing!Microbadge: The first imaged event horizon of a black hole.Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Physicist

Here is my game board, set up on a 7' x 4' table.
(I cut a foot off the 4' x 8' plywood board years ago, but had I kept that extra foot, it would've allowed me to put two to three civilizations on each of the ends, giving everyone more elbow room.)

The civilization advances cards, and the AST, and the Census (and city census) tracks are set up on a 30" x 72" table. The commodity cards could fit on it also. But if you're going to be playing with 18 players, you might want two 30" x 30" tables (that can be walked around) just for the civilization advances, with a third 30" x 30" for the tracks and the commodity cards.

My intention, however, is to photocopy the AST and the census tracks and to mount them vertically and use magnets for those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Donghi
Italy
Near Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash62bill wrote:

Here is my game board, set up on a 7' x 4' table.
For the rest of the world, that's 210x120 cm. Which is pretty big! I think mine is 200ish x 90.

Smash62bill wrote:

The civilization advances cards, and the AST, and the Census (and city census) tracks are set up on a 30" x 72" table.
75x180 cm

Smash62bill wrote:

you might want two 30" x 30" tables [...] with a third 30" x 30" for the tracks and the commodity cards
75x75 cm

Smash62bill wrote:

My intention, however, is to photocopy the AST and the census tracks and to mount them vertically and use magnets for those.
Nice one!
Thanks for the poniters, I can't remeber how big is my table, so I'll check later at home.
(Please don't be offended by my conversions, it's just so I don't have to do them again at home, and also maybe others will save time too.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least the Brits are moving to the metric system...

Inch by inch...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
North Carolina
flag msg tools
. . . then came the king's son, wounded, sore bestead, and weaponless, and saw the broken sword, hilt-buried in the dry and trodden sand, and ran and snatched it, and with battle shout lifted afresh, he hewed his enemy down . . .
badge
A spicebush swallowtail caterpillar that was roaming my neighborhood.
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: LotR LCG fan - I go ALL IN Questing!Microbadge: The first imaged event horizon of a black hole.Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Physicist
Vittek wrote:
Please don't be offended by my conversions . . .
Blame the Brits!

Er . . . I guess that should be "Blame the Celts!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No cliche left unstoned
Mattias wrote:
At least the Brits are moving to the metric system...

Inch by inch...
Errr, we did that a generation ago, round about when the Loch Ness Monster rode off on Shergar pursued by Lord Lucan, Elvis and Sherlock Holmes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls