Andrew Hobley
United Kingdom
Andover
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At long last I have got this game onto my table, having owned it for about a year. The cause of the delay? Playing the other ‘smaller’ games in the series (and a long attritional campaign with DG’s 2015 reissue o WW1, but that is another story). As usual solo, and so not using hidden units.

At the start we find Murat with three Infantry (VIII, I and V) and two Cavalry corps (IV and V) covering the southern approached to Leipzig. Approaching him is Barclay with Kliest’s II Prussians, Wittgenstein with two Russian infantry and one cavalry Corps and c IV Austrian Corps to the right. As usual the Allied forces are somewhat scattered (I do wish they would read the rules about command before they deployed!). In my game Barclay was engaged in vital correspondence with the three Allied monarchs behind him (aka ‘asleep’ and so needing to ‘wake up’ before being active). Victor’s French II was still moving up and in column of march.

The set up.

The day began in the rain with both sides concentrating their forces, Kleanu hurried back down the road to being up the rest of his Corps, Kliest move to bring his infantry closer to his cavalry and Victor reorganised his men. At 11 am Barclay put down his pen and turned to his army.

By noon Barclay was supporting Kleanu as he moved up to attack Liebertwolkwitz itself. But Murat was not going to wait passively. He launched Poniatowski’s Poles in VIII Corps at Cröbern, Victor at Güldengossa and the cavalry at the weak Russain link to the Austrians on the right. The Poles took Cröbern and held there. The French managed to take the west of the village and cross the stream to threaten the Prussain flank.

French attack

The battle swayed back and forward; Röder’s cavalry manged to hold Brun’s infantry division and eventually the Prussians drive the French back, eliminating a couple of divisions.

On the Allied right Kleanu abandoned his attack as Barclay rushed back to provide command to his centre and the rai stopped. Between Güldengossa and the Universitätsholz the cavalry clashed. The Russians were at first pushed back, but rallied and, aided by Desfours’ Austrian Heavy Cavalry succeeded in isolating and riding down Pajol’s corps and the 1st Light Cavalry from I Cavalry Corp. The French fall back. Their only gain was Cröbern and they had lost badly (24 SP to 4 Allied)

Days end

Counting up at the end as the French occupied more VP hexes, and did rather better with the card VP than the Allies the result was a surprising 23:9 French Strategic Victory. Personally I would call it an Allied Tactical Victory, two French Corps have been badly hit which will not help two days later.

Right, starter over, on to the main course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing this scenario now via Vassal/Pbem. My opponent, as the French, has decimated.both Kleist and Wittgenstein formations. Kleanau is whole and now together instead of strung out. Didn't help that I rolled 5's and 6's on my second turn for Officer initiatives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seleukos
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also currently playing this scenario and i have massive doubts about the balance.
In spite of its title there is massive infantry around, including french infantry, and i don't see how i as allied can manage an attack. Adversely the french are pushing me, and even with there splitted commands, they throw me back.
With a view to the reinforcement schedule i also don't see the tide turning.
So in the end i see a french victory, even higher as in your game, on the horizon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, its a dog of a scenario. Just conceded our third try at this one with similar results. Wittgenstein is all but obliterated, Klenau's Formation is Demoralized. Kleist has his Alternate Reinforcements coming up as are all the rest of the scheduled reinforcements, but with only 3 turns left, I'm not even going to be able to make it back to the original start positions. French forces are just too overwhelming in this scenario.

My opponent suggested a General Retreat on the first turn so I could get all of Wittgensteins and Kleist's Formations pulled back and into some form of cohesion instead of all scattered to hell.

This will be the 4th (and last) try at this scenario before moving on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Loftiss
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing the campaign and my results after 14th: French strategic victory 33 to 1. Actually the Coalition had -6. Sp loss F 5 C 23. Location vp F 35 C 0. Dem corps F 4 C 0. Cards F -5 C -6.
I do not see how the Coalition can win; French numbers and leaders too dominate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls