Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've loved Pixel Tactics ever since the Minigame Library edition. So I was realy excited about the German edition of PT 1. It allows me to play PT with those friends of mine who have a hard time reading English.

That said, the first thing I did when I got the German edition is: I compared rules text on the cards (I've learned the hard way that's something one should always do) with those from English standalone PT 1.

Everything looks great, but there are two things that seem changed in the German version. That might be due to translation errors or it could just be changes to PT for the upcoming Deluxe edition.

Demitras Denigrande Leader ability
English version says: Your heroes and leader regain life equal to the damage they deal to opposing heroes.

German version says: Wenn deine Helden sowie dieser Anführer Schaden zufügen, heilen sie sich jeweils um die Höhe des zugefügten Schadens.
[roughly translates to: If your heroes or this leader do damage, they also heal themselves equal to the damage dealt.]

So the German version doesn't have the restriction about "[...] they deal to opposing HEROES.", thus also granting healing when doing damage to the opposing leader.

Cairngort Rexan Leader ability
English version says: When an opponent suffers a casualty, you can place that hero into an empty place in your unit and restore it to life. Heroes revived this way have only 1 life, and are discarde as soon as they are killed.

German version says: Tötest du einen gegnerischen Helden, kannst du ihn nehmen und lebend in eine freie Position deiner Truppe legen. Der Held hat 1 Lebenspunkt und wird bei tödlichem Schaden sofort getötet.
[roughly translates to: If you kill an opposing hero, you can take him and put him into a free position in your unit, living. The hero has 1 life point and is killed when he receives lethal damage.]

So the German version won't DISCARD, but only KILL heroes when they get lethal damage.

I'd be really happy if someone from either Level 99 or Pegasus could say something about these differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Bayreuth
Bavaria
flag msg tools
publisher
Also: GameDev&Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I will check this next week. The latter is most probably a slight error in translation. Probably introduced by space constraints.
But in any way: That was a very detailed look you took at the cards - I tip my hat to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, also as an afterthought:

Kavri Shi Shorec Leader Ability

I'll just summarize: The German version's text doesn't make it clear that only the heroes/leader in the wave just ending regain 2 life ("Entferne am Ende jeder Angriffswelle, bevor auf Verluste überprüft wird, von jedem deiner Helden (und dem Anführer in der Angriffswelle Flanke) je 2 Schaden." as opposed to English: "At the end of each wave, all of your heroes and leaders IN THAT WAVE remove 2 damage.")

Also, for some reason KaVri is called KaUri in German
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel DeMars
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DomHiob wrote:

Is this to approximate the English pronunciation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeinadColtrane wrote:
DomHiob wrote:

To be honest, I have not the faintest clue how you'd pronounce Kavri in English (I'm not feeling too bad, though, as seemingly, some native speakers have problems with "Indines" as well ). "Kauri" would be pronounced COW-ree in German. I can't see that's the pronunciation of "Kavri", but English's always in for a surprise.

On the other hand, they left things like Cairngort, which, assuming Cairngort us pronounced CARE-n-gort, could have been spelt Cerngort in German (or even "Cärngort").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel DeMars
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DomHiob wrote:
LeinadColtrane wrote:
DomHiob wrote:

To be honest, I have not the faintest clue how you'd pronounce Kavri in English (I'm not feeling too bad, though, as seemingly, some native speakers have problems with "Indines" as well ). "Kauri" would be pronounced COW-ree in German. I can't see that's the pronunciation of "Kavri", but English's always in for a surprise.
Ah, in that case, no. My understanding is that Kavri is pronounced Kav-ree with an English V sound (so basically a German W?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeinadColtrane wrote:
Ah, in that case, no. My understanding is that Kavri is pronounced Kav-ree with an English V sound (so basically a German W?).
-- great, that's how I would have pronounced it. And yes, English "v" (with the upper teeth against the lower lip) is pretty much the same sound as German "w".

My best guess as to why Kauri instead of Kavri is that someone just misread it. In the font used on the English cards, "v" and "u" are kind of hard to tell apart. It doesn't seem a typo, since "u" and "v" are quite far apart both on qwerty and qwertz keyboards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to check these against the PT1 second edition cards and see, but I don't think any of these changes will affect your ability to enjoy the games with your German friends. We supplied Benjamin with the latest edition to do his translation, and we may have introduced some of these slight changes when we updated the card text.

Also, holy cow, I thought we sold Pixel Tactics at a good price, but the Pegasus Edition is a great deal! It's like 8 Euros, I think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Bayreuth
Bavaria
flag msg tools
publisher
Also: GameDev&Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, these small blurs should not detract. I have already made the neccessary corrections and uploaded a little errata sheet to our homepage. It is online tommorrow. It will therefore be corrected in a reprint and I can put the corrected cards in a future Pixel Tactics game (like Pixel Tactics 2) - no that is not an announcement Just saying: If it happens: they will be in there. (So long as it will be max 4 cards )

However; Please note: Demitras is actually correct. The new text reads, that whenever heroes or the leader attack - 1 damage is removed from them per damage dealt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benji_online wrote:
Yeah, these small blurs should not detract. I have already made the neccessary corrections and uploaded a little errata sheet to our homepage. It is online tommorrow. It will therefore be corrected in a reprint and I can put the corrected cards in a future Pixel Tactics game (like Pixel Tactics 2) - no that is not an announcement Just saying: If it happens: they will be in there. (So long as it will be max 4 cards )
great to hear about the errata sheet and the plans to include errata'ed cards in future reprints and -- hopefully -- expansions! I'm trying to spread the word in my local FLGS (also, the first question this guy asked me was "So, are there any expansions to the game already?"). I agree the "alternate versions" of the chars won't detract from gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
Also, holy cow, I thought we sold Pixel Tactics at a good price, but the Pegasus Edition is a great deal! It's like 8 Euros, I think?
I paid 10 Euro. And I fully agree it's unbelievably good bang for buck -- considering the box and storage solution, the rulebook and the size of the cards, it's really great. -- I guess it'll become my standard "Mitbringsel" (a small gift that you bring along when you're invited somewhere).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M T
msg tools
Hey Ben,

komisch dich mit einem Pegasusbanner zu sehen. Kenne dich immer noch von der Spielama-Seite :-D

Kannst du was über die Übersetzungen der Erweiterungen sagen?
Werden die (zeitnah) kommen? Und was ist mit der Spielmatte dazu?

Grüße!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls