Brandon Henton
msg tools
Hi, all,
My question is similar to and expands on the one in this post http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1155633/flies-and-spiders-al... ; however, it doesn't really cover what I'm curious about.
The scenario 2B card reads, "If there are no other players in the game, discard this stage (3B) and each card in its staging area."
So question 1: While playing solo, do you skip past stage 3B and go straight to 4B from 1B?
Question 2: During multi-player, if non-first players (stage 4B) are all eliminated, does this 2B effect happen now that there are no other players in the game? (I'm assuming "no" since the condition appears when stage 2B is revealed and we are now onto stage 3B as the first player. Plus I feel it would be a much more difficult scenario since the first player may still have unconscious characters and then have to take all of the enemies in the other players' 4B staging area.). The way we handled it when this happened was that the first player continued to deal with their individual (3B) staging area, and once resolved, would combine his staging area with 4B to finish up the quest.
I'm sorry for the somewhat redundancy, but I feel the questions are different enough to merit their own post.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Binko_Mandorak wrote:
The scenario 2B card reads, "If there are no other players in the game, discard this stage (3B) and each card in its staging area."
So question 1: While playing solo, do you skip past stage 3B and go straight to 4B from 1B?
No, the wording on 2B is a bit ambiguous. "This stage" in the text refers to 2B, not 3B. Basically it's telling you that in a solo game, you don't set up stage 4 until you get there yourself, and that anything in the staging area when you advanced to stage 2 is discarded.

Binko_Mandorak wrote:
Question 2: During multi-player, if non-first players (stage 4B) are all eliminated, does this 2B effect happen now that there are no other players in the game? (I'm assuming "no" since the condition appears when stage 2B is revealed and we are now onto stage 3B as the first player. Plus I feel it would be a much more difficult scenario since the first player may still have unconscious characters and then have to take all of the enemies in the other players' 4B staging area.). The way we handled it when this happened was that the first player continued to deal with their individual (3B) staging area, and once resolved, would combine his staging area with 4B to finish up the quest.
If the players at stage 4 are eliminated while there is still a player at stage 3, stage 4 is left as is until the player at stage 3 reaches stage 4, at which point that player combines their staging area with the stage 4 staging area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Henton
msg tools
Thanks, Tony! These answers were incredibly helpful.
The wording is quite confusing in this particular scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I could help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I recently have been playing the Hobbit quests again for the first time in years. I'd forgotten just how confusing this one was with the wording.... especially in solo, which is how I'm playing.

So, I think I'm actually a little more confused after reading this! I've been playing that when you get to 2B, you reveal 3A (resource wipe and everybody but Bilbo unconscious).

Because the errata says that if there is no first player, discard this stage, I was discarding 3B. This results in the scenario basically jumping to a Carn Dum level difficulty because you go into stage 4B with everybody unconscious with no resources and only Bilbo (also no resources) and have to deal with a Spider's Glade pumping out 1 extra spider a quest phase!!!

I see what you say above about the (discard this phase) actually referring to 2B, but if I discard 2B, wouldn't that get rid of the when revealed effects that trigger 3A?

Maybe somebody should create a step by step process of exactly how one goes from phase 1 to phase 4 in solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Martyn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

Binko_Mandorak wrote:

If the players at stage 4 are eliminated while there is still a player at stage 3, stage 4 is left as is until the player at stage 3 reaches stage 4, at which point that player combines their staging area with the stage 4 staging area.
Does the Forced effect of Spiders Glade still apply though? Even though there are no other players interacting with the original staging area, do I need to still search the encounter deck for a spider each turn and add it to the staging area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls