We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another instance where the Learn to Play & Rules Reference disagree...

I guess we go with the RR, which indicates Dracula always earns the 2 points + bonus for despair, regardless of how the hunter was defeated?

Rather than the LtP pg 13, which says you get the influence points if a hunter is "defeated in this way" under the "Bitten" heading (but makes no mention of influence points when a hunter is defeated by taking damage, under the "Damage" heading).

EDIT: Rules query submitted to FFG. Will let you know...

EDIT 2: Well it's also right there under 'Rage' on Drac's character sheet, so surely the influence is ALWAYS earned by any hunter defeat. Why are these sheets always the last place I look!? Still, the Learn to Play is misleading in that part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
It should be every defeat regardless if because of a bite or by being wounded beyond their threshold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is "The Golden Rules" Sidebar on page one of the RR which states...

"The Rules Reference is the definitive source of rules information.
If something in the Rules Reference contradicts the Learn to Play booklet, this document takes precedence."

and then to paraphrase the next Golden Rule,
"the text written on cards take precedence over the RR."

Now with that said you'd think I could remember that but NOPE I never learn!

So I prefer to choose what makes the most thematic sense and then once I figure it out, it was written in either of the above places all along, DOH!

This seems to go for all the FFG games LtP and RR guides to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got an answer from FFG...

Quote:
Rules Question
Does Dracula always gain influence from defeated hunters? Or only if they were defeated by being bitten?

Rules Reference indicates Dracula always earns the 2 points + bonus for despair, regardless of how the hunter was defeated.

Learn to Play pg 13: says you get the influence points if a hunter is "defeated in this way" under the "Bitten" heading (but makes no mention of influence points when a hunter is defeated by taking damage, under the "Damage" heading)

Frank @ FFG wrote:
Dracula always advances the influence track when a hunter is defeated but can advance it a further 1 by successfully resolving the “Fangs" card and adding a bite token. In many instances the Learn to Play is the general rule getting you familiar with different game mechanics and explains how and why things are happening and the Rules Reference will go into more specifics on any subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls