Hide
9 Posts

De Bellis Antiquitatis» Forums » General

Subject: Translation from Barker-ese? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about / interested in trying this game (or, rather, version 3.0 of it) out, but at the moment I'm being defeated by the dry, legalistic Barker-ese - by the time I work out what they're saying, I've lost all interest in it!

Does anybody know if there are any plain-English translations anywhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
www.amazon.com/Laflin-Barkers-Start-Ancient-Wargaming-Using/...

They should have had Sue write the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of P.B.s Games are very hard to learn for many people just from reading the rules. Then still very hard to always get right because the rule you want to refer to is often not in the place you would intuitively look for it.

Edit: Should mention though that once you get the hang of it it is quite addictive. I think this is largely because of all the army lists to choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would actually like to voice dissent on this.

PB's writing is dense and there could be more redundance. However: DBA 3 ist remarkably clear. You just need to read through all of it and remember what you read. Possibly, making up your own cheat sheet as you learn the rules would be a good dea. You can ignore some of the terrain rules at first and you can through the setup rules as you actually set up the game. It matters little and you can also set up whatever table you like for your first few games.
The thing you need to read very careful are the movement rules, the group rules and the rules on how to make close combat contact. Everything else is relatively simple.
For learning the game, try to use armies with few troop types. Classical greek would be good (Early or late hoplite greek, as the rules call them IIRC.) Some medieval lists might also work - just leave out dismounting.
The diagrams and examples are highly useful. Read them.

As said: The rules are dense. But then everything is in there.

Plus: Ask questions here. I would be glad to look at them and I assume others too.

Good luck. It is a beautiful little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Padraic Kirby
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Version 3 is a much better read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools

Yes, there is a translation because despite what the two fan-boys said the rules are awful. Some of the changes in DBA3 have even made the situation worse - especially when you combine it with the author's "read the rules" attitude.

You can find the translation of the 2nd edition rules at:
http://www.wadbag.com/DBAGuide/

As someone has already said there is a translation being sold for 3rd edition
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laflin-Barkers-Start-Ancient-Wargami...

The first I have used and is excellent. The second I have not and have heard positive and negative things about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stadel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh, yeah ....

Haters gotta hate ... there's a very vocal minority who bash it at every turn ... those whiners started before 3.0 ever got released. Easy enough to ignore, I guess.

Its a great ruleset but Barker-ese is an acquired taste. Obviously the best method to learn is from someone who knows how to play; a local club might help out there. Otherwise, try to persevere ... there are only a few pages of rules, and the ample diagrams help.

I'd probably stay away from the wadbag "translation" as 2.2 is largely dead, at least around here. Could be a good reference for general concepts but there are some fairly significant differences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
www.amazon.com/Laflin-Barkers-Start-Ancient-Wargaming-Using/...

They should have had Sue write the rule book.
So this version's description on Amazon says it has all the rules and that it has sample armies. It does not say it has all the army lists. So do you also need the DBA 3.0 book? If so, does this mean that the authors released the rules with armies and then released another translation of their own rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamePlayer wrote:
It does not say it has all the army lists. So do you also need the DBA 3.0 book? If so, does this mean that the authors released the rules with armies and then released another translation of their own rules?
It does not include all the lists (which make up the majority of the 3.0 rulebook). You don't need the 3.0 rulebook unless you want the additional army lists (which, if you're not familiar with the system, are very simple - take three of this unit, two of this one, pick one from these choices...)

Sue Laflin-Barker wrote this as an introduction to the miniature wargaming hobby, using the rules that she helped create. It contains additional commentary on DBA and the sample armies, with historical notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls