Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: With card games, is it best to keep things trimmed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark dark
msg tools
I'm deciding whether I want my minions to have a Defense stat, along with the regular Attack/HP. Defense would completely cancel out attack - example: 1 attack vs 1 defense = 0 damage done.

Ideally I like the concept, but in terms of a card game, is it too much work (redundant) for the average player to figure out the math?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Question is unanswerable without knowing ALL of the game mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Question is unanswerable without knowing ALL of the game mechanics.

And extensive playtesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot more info needs to be shared to really answer the question, but Magic: The Gathering and an absolute ton of CCG/LCGs used a system that involves attack, defense, and health ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it better than HP, as it reduces tracking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark dark
msg tools
Jlerpy wrote:
I like it better than HP, as it reduces tracking.

Well, it's going to be on top of HP. You'll still have to do the math to figure out the damage dealt and remaining hp, after defense is applied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McCollum
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
I recently played a game that uses a similar mechanic. The issue is that most creatures in that game had defense = 0, and so I felt like it was a lot of clutter on the card. Is the ability too complicated? Probably not. I would spend some time thinking about the user experience though. If defense is very common, maybe it deserves to be on the level of the other stats (attack, HP, etc.) If it's not as common, maybe having it just be an ability described in text on the card would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
In my current project, I have a Block keyword, which works exactly like the defense stat you're describing. It's a semi-common effect, and is typically conditional (for example a unit might block ranged attacks, or block if it has no damage on it, etc. Completely unconditional Block is rare), which is the reason it's a keyword rather than a stat, but it can go either way. Blind playtesting is a good way to sort this kind of thing out.

Soak in BattleCON is a similar mechanic, again as a keyword granting it temporarily rather than a passive stat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battletech CCG is one game that has a Defense stat like that on all units. (Firepower (Attack), Armor (Defense), and Structure (HP), and it worked pretty well. It doesn't add that much thought to calculate. Armor ranged from 0 to 3 on most units...some attackable resources had an Armor of 4, though I don't think I saw anything that high on units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.