5 Posts

BGG» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Pnp Tutorial/Guide? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Ahlberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
Sorry if this has been posted before. I have downloaded som Print and Play pdf:s of some boardgame and are now planning on printing these. It sounds simple but im sure that there are many things to think about before starting to print.

So i just wanted to check if there are some good faq:s, guides or tutorials? What is the best paper to print on, what thickness of the paper. Best glue. Best way to cut cards so that they have the same exakt width and hight. Creating own dice etc.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Print and Play Games News fanMicrobadge: New Orleans Saints fanMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Gold Crafter: I have crafted 50 PnP gamesMicrobadge: I love Totoro
Thermoptic wrote:
Sorry if this has been posted before. I have downloaded som Print and Play pdf:s of some boardgame and are now planning on printing these. It sounds simple but im sure that there are many things to think about before starting to print.

So i just wanted to check if there are some good faq:s, guides or tutorials? What is the best paper to print on, what thickness of the paper. Best glue. Best way to cut cards so that they have the same exakt width and hight. Creating own dice etc.

Thanks!
The DIY forum is where you want to be and

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/848512/all-diy-links-you-ne...

Is the thread you need to read!

This will get you started and if you aren't careful...you'll get hooked
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
Netherlands
Barendrecht
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: Dragon Punch fan
+1 for the DIY forum, lotsmore knowledge on printing and glue and paper weights etc there.

It depends a lot on the quality you're looking for I guess. Do you want the end result to look and feel exactly like actual cards, or does it just need to be playable?

Personally I tend to just print the card fronts on normal paper and put them in a card sleeve, together with a card (like a normal playing card or an old Magic card) for sturdiness.

Daniel Solis posted this video recently about how he prototypes card games, which goes into some detail about cutting etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
Microbadge: Game Boy fanMicrobadge: Physics enthusiastMicrobadge: Hunters of Arcfall fanMicrobadge: Deep Space D-6: Armada fanMicrobadge: Ramen lover
I made a picture guide for one of my print & play games.

I'm sure many of the things apply to general print and play games.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1197771/free-pnp-game-stars...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: D&D fan (5th edition)Microbadge: Star Frontiers RPG fanMicrobadge: Gamma World RPG fanMicrobadge: Micronauts fanMicrobadge: End
Depends alot on the game and what resurces you have on hand.

If the game has cards then a thicjer printer cardstock is a good idea unless you plan to back or sticker them to playing cards.

As for glue. There are various types and again the type of game you are making may factor the type of glue youd want. For example you might want a glue that has some flex to it for cards. But a more rigid glue is good for boards and mats. Moot point if you use sticker sheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls