Subject: Organizing CDs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just put together shelves sufficient to hold my music CDs, which have been in a jumble on a closet floor since I moved. So now I'm ready to put them up.

I was gonna organize them alphabetically by artist, then chronologically within an artist category (so Nick Cave's Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! would be ahead of Push the Sky Away).

This seems obvious.

But I wondered if the hive mind of Chit-Chat land had any better ideas...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
I wondered if the hive mind of Chit-Chat land had any better ideas...
MP3's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
MP3's
Fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
Microbadge: San Francisco 49ers fanMicrobadge: San Francisco Giants fanMicrobadge: PeaceMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fan - Criminals Microbadge: I speak Californian
Thunkd wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
MP3's
exactly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh, I remember CDs. Man, they were cool. I think mine are in a drawer somewhere, where I never have to look at them again. That's my recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
(watch this space)
badge
Does changing the text here count towards "Change Your Avatar" day?
mbmbmbmbmb

For your existing CDs, just start grabbing them randomly and assigning sequential numbers to them. As you do this, enter all the pertinent data (artist, title, genre, list of tracks, etc) into a database, using that number as an "index". When you've entered the data, put it on the shelf in numerical order. (Each new CD will be assigned the next number in the sequence, and have its data entered as well).

Now when you need to find something, you can search your database by artist, genre, song title, release date, or whatever strikes your fancy when you've got a hankerin' for some music. You'll get out a serial number (or numbers), and be able to instantly lay hands on whichever CD is called for!

And why limit this to CDs? You could do up your vinyl collection in the same way, maybe starting that number sequence with "R", whereas the CD numbers might start with "C". So if (for instance) you're looking for that old Miles Davis tune "So What", you'll be directed to "R00042" and "C00127", which are your vinyl and CD copies (respectively) of the album "Kind of Blue". You go to either the 42nd record or the 127th CD, and there it is!

Anyways, you get the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I drink espresso ... WHEEEEEEE!!!!Microbadge: Dark chocolate lover - 70% cocoa minimumMicrobadge: Chili PepperMicrobadge: Cherry
wifwendell wrote:
I was gonna organize them alphabetically by artist, then chronologically within an artist category (so Nick Cave's Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! would be ahead of Push the Sky Away).

This seems obvious.

But I wondered if the hive mind of Chit-Chat land had any better ideas...

I organize alphabetically by artist, then by title. Saves squinting to read the recording or the copyright date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Microbadge: Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.Microbadge: A dingo ate my baby!Microbadge: Chit Chat EPYC games fanMicrobadge: This badge goes to 16Microbadge: FlagPoll user
I do alphabetic and then by release date.

My problem comes with bands that are a single person and a band, or a dual name where one is equal to the other:

Jonathan Richman and The Modern Lovers-- Under "R", or "M"?
Lady Gaga-- under "L" or "G"?

And numbers, spelled numbers, or letters first?

10,000 Maniacs, under "1" and before "A", or under "T"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

My problem comes with bands that are a single person and a band, or a dual name where one is equal to the other:

"J" for "Jonathan Richman and The Modern Lovers."
"L" for "Lady Gaga"
"1" (before "A") for 10,000 Maniacs

The whole sort by last name thing breaks down for a lot of bands, where it is kind of arbitrary whether you look at their name as a person's name or not. Like Jethro Tull - there was nobody named that in the band, so while they are named after a real person, the band name is not a person's name no it must be under "J". Just sorting each musician by the first letter of whatever they go by makes things easier and consistent. (But, strip out "The", "A", or "An" if it's the first but not only word in the band name. It's annoying to do this but otherwise the "T" section gets way too big.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grace McDermott
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
MP3's
I'll see your MP3s and raise you Spotify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Greer
South Carolina
msg tools
designer
MABBY wrote:

Professional librarian chiming in here:

Quote:
R. The Modern Lovers are his backup band, he's the primary artist, and individuals are indexed by their last names.

Quote:
L. Even though she's an individual, "Lady Gaga" is just a performing name. There's a band called Harvey Milk, named in honor of the real person, but that's a band name, not an individual name, so they go under H.

Quote:

1. I always put numbers before letters, but I've seen some systems place them after Z. Either one works, but whether or not you want to put 10,0000 Maniacs before or after 24/7 Spyz, though, depends on if you index using decimals or whole numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Peridot: August birthstoneMicrobadge: Green Christian - we're all the stewards of EarthMicrobadge: I love books!Microbadge: Easily MisunderstoodMicrobadge: Dog lover
Mine are in my computer, not sure how they got there or why they want to stay, but the CDs went to a thrift store many years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People still own CDs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esko
United States
White Haven
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alphabetically by the first track of each album.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Genre > Alphabetical > Release Date
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Microbadge: Look up at the starsMicrobadge: and not down at your feet.Microbadge: Try to make sense of what you see,Microbadge: and wonder about what makes the universe exist.Microbadge: Be curious. - Stephen Hawking
mlcarter815 wrote:
People still own CDs?
Damn right we do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Microbadge: Look up at the starsMicrobadge: and not down at your feet.Microbadge: Try to make sense of what you see,Microbadge: and wonder about what makes the universe exist.Microbadge: Be curious. - Stephen Hawking
I organize alphabetic by artist, and then release date.

Soundtracks and scores are a hangup for me.

I still haven't decided what to do with them.

All soundtracks together somewhere, all scores together somewhere else?
Organize them all by film title?
Organize the scores by composer?

Making it trickier is the lack of convention. So one CD might say "Music from the motion picture ___" and another might say "soundtrack___".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Also I file individual artists by forename rather than surname, so under B for Bob, rather than D for Dylan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Code MonkeyMicrobadge: GMT fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: City of Heroes fanMicrobadge: I Love Gaming with My GirlFriend!!!
Ryinth wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
MP3's
I like seeing artist get their money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grace McDermott
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Ryinth wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
MP3's
I like seeing artist get their money.
And that's an issue, but streaming isn't going to go away - though getting plays on a streaming service is still better than listening to a copy uploaded onto YouTube, at least the raw numbers will hopefully one day lead to better bargaining between the artists and services.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Although I've long since ripped all my CDs (and the only time new discs are ever "played" is when I rip them immediately after purchase), I still possess the things themselves.

And so I had to come up with an organisational method. I went for broad area, then artist (organising these alphabetically, and chronologically within each artist). Although my broad areas will probably only work for me - sure, there are fairly standard baroque, pop, hard rock, and metal sections, but I also have sections for such things as "real rock", "other" rock, and Scandinavia...

This made it a bit easier to shuffle things about to fit in new acquisitions, but I've also now reached the point where my custom-built shelving isn't big enough, so now I just pile them up on top...

Also agree with Verkisto about proper filing order - I've been in charge of large filing systems, and that's the correct way to do it (if you're not simply allocating serial numbers to everything).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Always name then chronology. Last name takes precedence if relevant. I spin discs in the car regularly (I spend a lot of work time there), as they sound better than crappy little mp3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I drink espresso ... WHEEEEEEE!!!!Microbadge: Dark chocolate lover - 70% cocoa minimumMicrobadge: Chili PepperMicrobadge: Cherry
Release date/chronology has been mentioned several times in this thread. As someone who pays little attention to it, I am curious why others find it useful. Do people make a point of listening to an artist's music in chronological order or does it simply make it easier to find the fourth album because you know it followed one, two and three? Does this ever cause confusion with something like the Dylan bootleg series that is being (legally) released forty or more years after the recording date? Does anyone like me with classical music in their collection do this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends how you think of them. I have heard of people who sort them by colour. It wouldn't work for me, but presumably it does for some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Miniature PainterMicrobadge: Name that tune!Microbadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Rhode Island
Verkisto wrote:

L. Even though she's an individual, "Lady Gaga" is just a performing name. There's a band called Harvey Milk, named in honor of the real person, but that's a band name, not an individual name, so they go under H.
What would you do with Alice Cooper? It started out as the name of the band but then became the name of the singer. Do the early records get filed under A separate from the later ones filed under C, or do they all go under A since that came first, or all under C because the singer takes precendent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |