Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » Rules

Subject: Subtle rule changes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris M
msg tools
badge
mb
While browsing a few threads I've noticed that on several occasions people have mentioned subtle rule changes to the base game. I've read through the rule book but didn't notice anything major that made we go ok so that's different. The reason I ask is because my group has just finished the first two games with decisive wins. In the second game we were even able to eradicate two diseases in the same game and never even got to the last epidemic card in the player deck. Now my group is a very seasoned with the original pandemic, with dozens of plays from all expansions under our belt. My concern is that because of our level of comfort with the original pandemic that we missed something that is making the game to easy. Can someone please tell me what these subtle rule changes are just to ease my mind that we are playing correctly? Also does the game get harder or should I start adding in on the brink epidemics?

P.S. yes I know about the added connection going to Africa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first 3 months are easy, and then it gets gradually harder. For seasoned Pandemic players, it still never gets ridiculously hard, but it does become mute of a challenge. With the legacy concept, we didn't mind the easier games since losses have long term consequences.

There is more than one connection that's been added. I think it's 3 added and 1 taken away. Other differences are some alterations in starting abilities...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Y
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
The biggest one to me is in setup. Not only do you get to choose your characters (and starting location, although this wouldn't make sense in base pandemic), but you get to choose both of these after seeing the starting disease layout and the cards in your hand. Did you start the game with three red cards? Guess you're the researcher this time!

It's good that you starting player is picked randomly at the end, or we'd be pretty carefully planning the first few turns of the game before finishing setup.

A rules question if Matt or Rob is reading--- when exactly do we have to pick where we sit? We've never done it, but would it be legal to look at our starting hands and decide to switch places?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
another difference that makes the game a tad easier... everyone plays with open hands instead of closed hands (though some of the cards mistakenly still have the original wording that references closed hands).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
another difference that makes the game a tad easier... everyone plays with open hands instead of closed hands (though some of the cards mistakenly still have the original wording that references closed hands).
Is that a change? That's how we always played the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
rahdo wrote:
Is that a change? That's how we always played the original.
Then you've been playing the original incorrectly (but don't worry, it's how most people play anyway). From the normal Pandemic rules, page 7:

Quote:
When playing the Standard (5 Epidemics) or Heroic (6 Epidemics)
games, keep your cards private, so everyone has information to
contribute to play discussions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Breindahl
Denmark
flag msg tools
I heard that the newer editions of Pandemic changed the rule so that you played with opened hands? I do not own a new edition, but that would make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thediabloman wrote:
I heard that the newer editions of Pandemic changed the rule so that you played with opened hands? I do not own a new edition, but that would make sense.
Nope, I pulled that quote from the most recent rules for Pandemic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Logan
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
Microbadge: "Striving Lest Our Company be Lazy, Cowardly Manure"Microbadge: Rahdo Runs Through fanMicrobadge: The Dice Tower Gaming Awards fan
Wow my wife and I have been playing this wrong for a while now: With four cards they are played visible 5 or 6 they are hidden. Also a rule for Experienced players to play with open hands. I must have glossed over this originally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks guys. I'm glad the changes I missed were not game breaking. We did pick our starting characters but we did it before we infected the world. Guess it didn't matter all that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls