Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does everyone just select location cards under the table? Would including a player screen/shield (possibly with the reference map built-in) have been a better solution?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Separate sea cards, since hunters know from card backs when you play those anyway.

Then add the power cards to the city card deck (or at least the Hide card).

Finally, to choose a location card from one of those 2 decks, just keep cutting the deck (putting a bunch of cards from the front to the back) until you get to the one you want.

That way the hunters (even if they watch you closely) have no idea how far through the deck you are when you take a card out.

They're sorted alphabetically & numerically, so that might otherwise give them clues if they can tell where you're taking a card relative to the sea cards in the full sorted deck (EDIT if you leave the sea cards with them, that is).

Against truly devious hunters... I guess shuffle the deck, and suffer a slight slowdown in the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, we ended up just shuffling the deck, but, like you said, it does add a little time to Dracula's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I wouldn't shuffle the deck. Just cut the deck once to start the game under the table. That way they don't know if you are starting in the A's or the M's or the R's, or whatever. Periodically cut the deck again, usually when you put back a card - especially one they saw the name of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, I'm going to try something very similar for next time. I think I'd prefer a player screen eventually though so the location deck remains ordered and the Dracula player gets to literally "hide".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel Kourganov
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just have Sea cards and Power cards (Except for Hide) in separate decks.

But guys and girls, is it still interesting to play FoD when players are trying to guess the location by looking at where do you take your card from or which part of the board are you looking on?
Should I also check if players peep the card when I go to bathroom in the middle of the game? Or check that there is no hidden camera behind my back?

Just ask your players to play fair, or otherwise the game is not interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played as Dracula yesterday and just selected location cards under the table. Didn't have any problems with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dertarr wrote:
Just have Sea cards and Power cards (Except for Hide) in separate decks.
Yeah, that's all that's needed really.
I wasn't serious about the shuffling, hence the " "

Dertarr wrote:
Just ask your players to play fair, or otherwise the game is not interesting.
Hehe! It's not a case of preventing cheating though...

More that, if you don't cut the location deck (leaving 'A' at the top), it is all too easy for a hunter player to accidentally notice that you are taking a card from near the top or bottom of the deck.
Which could be a complete giveaway if they have already narrowed your possible escape routes to 2 or 3 locations, and eg. only one of them begins with a letter near the front or back of the alphabet.

Or you could just draw your card under the table or something, as has been suggested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Periodically cut the deck again, usually when you put back a card - especially one they saw the name of.
...and that's not such a bad idea either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's difficult to look anywhere else since Hunters don't have much to do while Dracula takes his turn.

I prefer not writing obvious "play fair because game" clauses into a rulebook for game integrity issues that are solved with a basic component or rule enforcement. In fact, it seems like FoD went slightly out of its way to make it harder to play fair. Dracula is expected to "organize the location cards numerically" (alphabetical) and then that player "secretly chooses one card" for movement. There is no mention of HOW to do this secretly, yet Hunters are required to be aware/focused on Dracula's side of the board for sea/land location distinctions, encounters, and/or power cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Hunters, quickly! Shield your eyes from the evil one's mesmerising stare!"

...or give them all blindfolds while you take your turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another quick tip, in case anyone hasn't realised, for choosing your next location without giving anything away by staring at a certain part of the board / reference mini-map...

You can quickly peek at the location card in the 1st slot of the trail. This gives away nothing to the hunters, and the little map drawings on those cards are actually pretty handy for seeing the adjacent place names (which can sometimes be hard to read from across the board without raising suspicion, at least until you learn them).

Obviously, if doing that, be aware of where the hunters are on the board in relation to you, etc!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I chose them under the table and put them on top of the deck. Also I put the hide card on the top of the desk also because it doesn't make any since to keep it in the other hand and try to place it on the track with out someone seeing you take it our of your 5-10 card hand. I do use the mini map also

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dstair2002 wrote:
I chose them under the table and put them on top of the deck. Also I put the hide card on the top of the desk also because it doesn't make any since to keep it in the other hand and try to place it on the track with out someone seeing you take it our of your 5-10 card hand. I do use the mini map also
Yep, that's the way we do it.

The RR actually says...
Rules Reference, pg 11 wrote:
Power Cards
Power cards should be kept with the location cards for ease of
use and to disguise when Dracula uses the “Hide” card.
But all the other power cards (besides "Hide") are double-sided anyway. The hunters can tell when you've played them, and which ones you still have available to be played, so no point hiding them at all.

Similarly you can keep separate sea & city decks, to make handling the location cards a bit easier, especially if sleeved as it makes a massive deck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls