Fresno
California
flag msg tools
Playful secrets...
badge
In brightest day....
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings Everyone,

I know that if you are going to play in tournaments you should definitely have more than one copy of the core game. I refuse to buy a second or third copy of the core game. I am purchasing all the expansions, including the data packs and deluxe expansions.

I have explored NetrunnerDB and Cardgamedb. I am looking for a filter that shows decks that only use a single core version of the game with all the other expansions.

Any ideas where I can get this?

Thanks!

Jared
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you can filter through packs (http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklists/search#allowed_packs), but why would you "refuse" to buy a second copy of the core set? Specially after you paid like 300$ in the game?

In any case, I suggest you browse through all decks. If you find a deck for which you are missing some cards,... well, then simply play around for the best replacements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared R
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
Playful secrets...
badge
In brightest day....
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the problem is that I don't want to buy another core set simply because I feel that those cards will be usurped by the following expansions and eventually be outdated so why would I invest in redundancy if that makes sense.

I don't know maybe if I can find a cheap enough used course that I'll just get those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you know, you can always buy singles of the cards you want more of, there are always people selling them off on ebay and the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would at least buy a second core set. I would say many of the 2-of cards will remain strong, especially once the rotation starts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
biosludge wrote:
I guess the problem is that I don't want to buy another core set simply because I feel that those cards will be usurped by the following expansions and eventually be outdated so why would I invest in redundancy if that makes sense.

I don't know maybe if I can find a cheap enough used course that I'll just get those.

there is very little actual power creep in this game. many cards from the core set are still relevant, and they've worked pretty hard to make it that way. for the most part, bad cards from the core set are still bad and good cards are still good.

not saying you should buy a second core, but if that's your only concern, it's actually not very warranted.

as a helpful response to your question, i would honestly just look at any decks and just try to find substitutes.

for example, some Leela run Logos instead of Desperado, so that's an option.
you'll probably have to stay away from NBN though, because Astroscript and SanSan City Grid are so ubiquitious
on the same token, i'd say scorch earth strategies aren't very viable with only 2 copies of Scorched Earth (but if you can find an alt art version, that would help)

alt art versions can actually help fix some of the holes you have:
Scorched Earth (mentioned above, x2 in the core)
Aesop's Pawnshop (x1 in the core)
Datasucker (but these are quite expensive and difficult to find, x2)
Femme Fatale (but not sure if you ever need 3 copies in one deck anyway, x2)
Corroder (coming later this year, again, not sure if you ever need 3 though, x2)
Wyldside (x2)

back to decks that are more difficult with one core, it will be difficult to play Noise without Grimoire since it goes so well with him

if you try to find some singles alt-arts, the main cards you're missing out on by not having a full playset are:
Grimoire
Desperado
SanSan City Grid
Account Siphon
Astroscript Pilot Program
Aesop's Pawnshop
Datasucker (for some decks, but it's more commonly splashed as a one-of in out-of-faction decks)
Deja Vu (again, to an extent; some decks only run 1 or 2)
Scorched Earth
Magnum Opus
Wyldside
Toolbox (for the very few decks that use it, you'll need more than 1, but they aren't that common)

everything else you can get by with the 1 or 2 copies of the card that's available, or you get a full playset anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loc .
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Many tournament winning decks also are still made up of 50% or more core cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared R
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
Playful secrets...
badge
In brightest day....
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally understand that tournament played decks use a high number of core set cards and I totally get that.

I guess I was just being stubborn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
After all the time that's passed you'd be surprised just how may core cards are still VERY useful. They made a nice set.

Also, the BIG bonuses to owning more then one core: having multiple decks built at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found someone listing a 'completion set' of Core cards on Ebay for 50. I didn't want to buy a second or third core for it and thought paying 50 for the completion set (plus reasonable shipping costs, about 7 bucks) was okay.

To be honest, now that I want to have a few more decks built for teaching, I kind of wish I had gone with the second core at least, but it is what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Merrill
msg tools
mbmbmb
I understand the desire not to buy multiples of the core set. Doing so has some advantages, but it also seems to go against principle. The draw of the LCG format was the lack of random distribution and getting a playset of cards in one pack instead of having to buy multiple packs to do so.

I also understand why FFG wants to not include a full set in their core sets, both from a monetary standpoint and from a game design standpoint.

I also didn't want to invest in multiple core sets, so I bought cards off ebay. People will often sell copies of the 1-of and 2-of cards. The 1-of cards usually cost as much as a core set, which is silly. But you can get a set of 2-of cards, often with all the 3-of cards, for about half the price of a full core set. With that, you are missing only a few cards (11?), some of which have alternate-art versions available for purchase.

As to your original question, I know netrunnerdb has a 1-core, 2-core, 3-core filter. Not sure about anywhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared R
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
Playful secrets...
badge
In brightest day....
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings Daniel,

I see in the filter search option for netrunnerdb that they have an option where you can turn the core set on and off, but I do not see where the filter feature can be set to 1, 2, or 3 core sets.

If you have another suggestion or a screen shot to show where that option is that would be great.

Cheers,

Jared

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Merrill
msg tools
mbmbmb
Jared,

Looks like you are right. I'm remembering the filter on the deck builder and not their deck search. Definitely a feature to request.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom b
msg tools
I'm not sure we're you live but you can get the core sets online for like 27 a piece. Paying 50 bucks for half a 2nd and a third of a third core set seems more expensive then just getting the cores themselve. Plus you would have extra cards for multiple decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
01boxor wrote:
I'm not sure we're you live but you can get the core sets online for like 27 a piece. Paying 50 bucks for half a 2nd and a third of a third core set seems more expensive then just getting the cores themselve. Plus you would have extra cards for multiple decks.

While I agree with this, I *really hate* duplicates. At the time, I was just looking to have competitive decks. Now, I want some of those duplicates so I can build training decks or just have multiple decks built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin W
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Dreamshadow wrote:

While I agree with this, I *really hate* duplicates.

Then simply burn them, after all $27 + a box of matches is still cheaper than than $50 right?

Whilst I might tip a maiden for offering to sift through my deck and bin all my x3 duplicates, she'd have to do it in a pretty entertaining way for me to consider leaving an extra $23 service charge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A second core set is pretty close to being a necessity if you want to play this game at a serious level (if you're just having fun with it, it obviously isn't necessary).

A third core set isn't necessary, but some very competitive decks do rely on having that third SanSan City Grid or Desperado.

For the record, I personally think that FFG's distrubution model when it comes to their LCG core sets really sucks and that while it might be good business short term, it is bad business in the long term. Their LCG's will die out after some years because the entry point becomes too steep. Loads of people really hate the idea of having to buy multiple cores. Infact, if their core sets gave you a full playset, I would probably have bought all of their LCG's by now.

Android: Netrunner is their most succesful LCG and to ensure being able to attract new players, they really should at a MINIMUM, put out a "complete my core set" expansion at a reasonable price. No real excuse for not doing so in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
Android: Netrunner is their most succesful LCG and to ensure being able to attract new players, they really should at a MINIMUM, put out a "complete my core set" expansion at a reasonable price. No real excuse for not doing so in my opinion.

Argument is done to death, not going to rehash it here. Suffice to say that there are plenty of valid reasons, detailed in plenty of threads, why FFG don't do this. They exist, whether you agree with them or not.

I agree that the number of 'useful' cards in the 2nd and 3rd Core is debatable; especially if you don't care about running multiple decks simultaneously. This is something they've changed a lot with the newer LCG core sets, which have a lot more unique cards meaning additional cores are better value for money (but single core sets are a worse 'out of box' experience).

That said, nobody forces you to run the decks that need 3x SanSan or 3x Desperado. As much as they were the 'best' decks once upon a time, those days are behind us and deck diversity has grown a lot, meaning there's a lot more viable strong decks out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.