Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I'm on the precipice of getting rid of all my LOTR:LCG and "exchanging" it for this. It's not that I couldn't keep LOTR and have this as well, but I think I'm done with LOTR. It just does not make it to the table anymore. I find it cumbersome.

I'm writing to get fast opinions. Regardless of the LOTR stuff, is this game that good. Is it worth investing heavily in? It appears to be but I need a majority of YES from this community to push me over the edge and help me pull the trigger once and for all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. When I first brought this to the weekly gaming group, they stopped playing M:tG as a warm-up for several months in favor of this. It still gets brought out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's a truly unique game. If you're done with LOTR, you get to try something new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin TS
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, definitely worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Terrific, trusted BGG users weighing in. Thank you, all. I shall do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Stępiński
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Sentinels more than any other game, but don't take our words for it. ALWAYS play before buying a game, unless it's impossible. In that case use your gut feeling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Little
Australia
Perth
W.A.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I may add something from my point of view.

You mentioned you find LOTR cumbersome hence it doesn't hit the table anymore, what about it is cumbersome to you?

Is it the card pool and deck building or the keeping track of counters and so on during game play?

The reason I ask is because I owned both games but got rid of Sentinels because I found it to be more work than fun keeping track of everything but I still have LOTR and play it regularly.
Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels is a unique experience. I'd really recommend trying before you buy. You can get a free demo of the electronic version on Android, iPad, or PC (through Steam); the demo lets you play four specific heroes against one villain.

Sentinels can be very polarizing. People either love it or hate it. I've been surprised by people both ways, which is why I'm very hesitant to recommend it blind to anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
nbergom wrote:
Sentinels is a unique experience. I'd really recommend trying before you buy. You can get a free demo of the electronic version on Android, iPad, or PC (through Steam); the demo lets you play four specific heroes against one villain.

Sentinels can be very polarizing. People either love it or hate it. I've been surprised by people both ways, which is why I'm very hesitant to recommend it blind to anyone.
That's an interesting comment. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
dusbaker83 wrote:
If I may add something from my point of view.

You mentioned you find LOTR cumbersome hence it doesn't hit the table anymore, what about it is cumbersome to you?

Is it the card pool and deck building or the keeping track of counters and so on during game play?

The reason I ask is because I owned both games but got rid of Sentinels because I found it to be more work than fun keeping track of everything but I still have LOTR and play it regularly.
Hope that helps.
edited: for clarity

Yes, as deck builders go, I have others I find more interesting (than LOTR).
It feels like no matter what deck I build, if I want to have a serious shot at winning, it must include certain cards. That's mostly a reflection of my inability to deck build creatively, but I don't seem to have the mental energy to keep tweaking decks. I tire of losing in the first or second turn of the game and having to reset everything. That's something I find cumbersome.
Honestly, I often feel beaten up.
Granted I'm elated when I do win. The game is very rewarding that way. Perhaps unparalleled in my personal experience. But it does not outweigh the overall frustration.
I have also gotten tired of trying to remember the specific conditions that go with many quests. It's not the counters per se, it's the conditions. Not sure I'm articulating that very well...
Maybe I'm saying that I don't mind the "counting" but I do mind the evolving "complexity."

All that being said, I really do appreciate your heads-up. Very helpful. I see that many of the negative reviews for Sentinels point at the mechanics of juggling the games bonus and penalty stats. Many speak about the awkwardness of tracking this.

I'll continue to follow these very useful forums, but I do think I will at least try the game. My wife wants me to have gaming options that are less "dark" and this looks a good candidate. I mean cmon, that's the least dark artwork I've ever seen

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Leigh
United Kingdom
Bilston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and I have played LotR maybe three times. Sentinels, many, both solo and two player..

I have to admit I really like it - for many different reasons but mainly:

1. The artwork and theme is great - superheroes and villains without the constraints of existing IP!

2. Easy to learn and play.

3. No deck building needed. I get some people enjoy that but I find it rather daunting - I don't have time to play LotR most of the time and the set up time etc. is a bit much for me at the moment.

4. Although there are quite a few expansions now, it isn't as daunting or as expensive to max it out if you feel the need to.

5. Did I say I loved the artwork?

6. The computer versions are spot on so you play wherever you go.

With regards to tracking modifiers and the like, this seems to be the key complaint with some people. There are certainly times when you have to be a bit organised with how you record them but really I don't have a huge problem with it. Once you get to know the cards and their powers you often remember them and you get plenty of markers in the box to show what modifiers are in place. Failing that you can get the helper app if you need to.

They are really different from each other but I am more than happy in the time I have invested in the game so far and expect to invest a lot more in the months to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls