Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Game Groups » Canada » Ontario

Subject: Kanata Board Gamers THURSDAY 12 November **6PM-11PM** KCCRC "El Nino Edition" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Le
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
www.kanataboardgamers.ca

The El Nino Edition

Events Update:

Ludo Outouauis 2015: 20-22 November at Centre communautaire Tétreau in Gatineau. A solid 3 days of all-inclusive open gaming! http://ludo-outaouais.com/ Registration is open! It is their 10th anniversary so it should be extra special!

Ottawa Pop Expo: 21-22 November at EY Centre. http://www.ottawapopexpo.ca/ A bit of an overlap with Ludo but you can have your choice that way.

Seems we can thank El Nino for the warm weather we're having, a trend that is suppose to continue for the rest of winter. Not that I'm complaining! On contrary, let's celebrate it . Bring your games of warm weather or crazy weather, weather patterns, or other seasonal changes etc. (My contribution will be Seasons if I remember to bring it)

There is a meeting of the Kanata Board Gamers every Thursday; next one is 12 November 2015. The start time for the session is 6pm till approximately 11pm.

We meet at the Kanata Community Christian Reformed Church (KCCRC) at 46 Castlefrank Rd, which is beside the Hazeldean Public Library. There is parking outside. Just go straight through the doors facing the lot, and you can't miss us!

$2.50 will be collected from each person. The first $30 collected is donated to our gracious venue. Any left over will go into our board game library fund. Members can borrow from the library any time. Borrow it one session, bring it back for the next.

Visitors are always welcome. Come on in and check us out! There is no obligation, but if you decide to become a member it only costs $7.50 and entitles you to 10% discount cards at select local games stores.

Note if you want the discount cards (for Fandom II, Mrs. Tiggy Winkles, and Comic Book Shoppe), let Steve know, and he'll have them made up. 100% of the $7.50 fee goes to CanGames 2015 to support kids games, and the cards are good for 1 calendar year from the month you get them.

Feel free to use this forum thread to discuss what to play!

Directions by car to the Kanata Community Christian Reformed Church (from the East):

1. Take Queensway/417 to Castlefrank exit, EXIT 139
2. Turn left onto Kanata Ave
3. Continue about 2km to 46 Castlefrank Rd, just past Hazeldean Rd.
4. Destination will be on the left, at the stop sign. Go up the hill.
5. Go through the doors facing the parking lot and into the main hall.

Directions using public transportation (from the East)
1. OC Transpo route 118 starts at the Hurdman station.
2. For stops check the 118 route: http://www.octranspo1.com/maps/
3. The stop you want is Hazeldean & Castlefrank
4. Walk west on Castlefrank following signs for the library
5. The church is on your left and is well signed.
6. Go up the hill to the doors facing the parking lot, and into the main hall.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Lemaire
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I'll be there!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandi H
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
To Die For Games
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in to play Seasons! I was hoping that someone would bring it I'll bring in Dead of Winter, Takenoko and Viticulture.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halden
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Id love to learn Dead of Winter!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandi H
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
To Die For Games
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Halden wrote:
Id love to learn Dead of Winter!
Awesome! I would be more than happy to teach you how to play.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maryeve
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea what I am bringing yet. I am open to suggestion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Lemaire
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ExGames wrote:
I have no idea what I am bringing yet. I am open to suggestion.
devil Twilight Struggle devil
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Burton
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have a copy of Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 they could bring? I'd like to try it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costa K
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I know what Kurt is bringing!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
costak wrote:
I know what Kurt is bringing!
AND I'm gonna force you to play this week even if I have to tie you to the chair to make it happen! Hope I can make it but work might intervene.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandi H
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
To Die For Games
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Village and Viceroy so think that I may bring them in. Soooo many choices!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maryeve
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
louisl wrote:
ExGames wrote:
I have no idea what I am bringing yet. I am open to suggestion.
devil Twilight Struggle devil
Will do !
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halden
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently I forgot about parent teacher night. Hopefully I can still make it out even if it's a little later.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Larkin
Canada
Carp
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey, please help Matt spend his shiny new Comic Book Shoppe gc with some suggestions for great games none of us have yet!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halden
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the games guys!

I accidentally had an all card/tile drafting night.

Sushi Go
Treasure Hunter
Between Two Cities

Always fun to meet new gamers and play new games.

Thanks for brining Dead of Winter Mandi next time I won't be late and we'll play!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandi H
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
To Die For Games
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Halden wrote:
Thanks for the games guys!

I accidentally had an all card/tile drafting night.

Sushi Go
Treasure Hunter
Between Two Cities

Always fun to meet new gamers and play new games.

Thanks for brining Dead of Winter Mandi next time I won't be late and we'll play!
No worries! I'm always up for playing Dead of Winter lol
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandi H
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
To Die For Games
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A HUGE thank you to Dan for being so well versed with all of the boardgames we played. Thank goodness you are so good with explaining game instructions! ☺️
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maryeve
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Played
Thanks to Kurt and Dave for playing Churchill! Kurt won that game by a pretty large margin playing the UK, while Dave and me ended a nice 13 (I think) point behind him!

And then, Thanks to Louis, Lionel and Steve for playing the game of Trains: Rising Sun, despite my horrible explanation. Congrats to Louis on his win!

Finally thanks to Dan for being patient with us at closing time. =)

What else was played?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lorz
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
This seems as good a place as any to start a suggestion thread for the gift card I won on Halloween. As Steve pointed out last night, it would be if I got something we don't have but that there is interest in. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Mandi is first on the board with her suggestions (in no particular order):
Fury of Dracula
Cash and Guns
Specter Ops
Suburbia (although I think someone might own this one already)
Orleans

Here are a few I was thinking about:
Netrunner
Mice and Mystics
X-Wing Minis
Mage Knight

The more suggestions the better.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halden
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I own suburbia and I believe at least there one other person does too.

Netrunner is nice, I only have the base set but I like it.
Nice and Mystica is fun
Fury is new hotness and looks great.

I am going to ludo next Saturday if you are planning to go to that I may say hold off on buying a game until you go to ludo and try a bunch?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Not a real zombie.
Avatar
Microbadge: Santorini fanMicrobadge: Riichi Mahjong fanMicrobadge: Root fanMicrobadge: Evolution fanMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fan
my favorite game right now is Evolution.
Fantastic game.

Followed closely by Roll for the galaxy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandi H
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
To Die For Games
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ExGames wrote:
Thanks to Kurt and Dave for playing Churchill! Kurt won that game by a pretty large margin playing the UK, while Dave and me ended a nice 13 (I think) point behind him!

And then, Thanks to Louis, Lionel and Steve for playing the game of Trains: Rising Sun, despite my horrible explanation. Congrats to Louis on his win!

Finally thanks to Dan for being patient with us at closing time. =)

What else was played?
We played:

Viceroy
Takenoko
Village (huge thank you to Stephane for teaching us the rules)

I think Dan and I were on the same strategy track for Village. Kept taking my green cubes! Lol
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Lemaire
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starlorz wrote:
Fury of Dracula
Cash and Guns
Specter Ops
Suburbia (although I think someone might own this one already)
Orleans

Here are a few I was thinking about:
Netrunner
Mice and Mystics
X-Wing Minis
Mage Knight
Netrunner and X-Wing are very good games, but maybe not the best choice for game night. There are competitive leagues that are really popular for those. 2 player games make for good tournaments. That is, unless you really like those games-I'm which case go for it! I have some X Wing, but rarely play.

Orleans isn't out retail yet, but it looks really good. I almost did the Kickstarter. I like Mice and Mystics, but it benefits from campaign play, where the same group goes through the entire story. I've not played Mage Knight, but I heard it's really good, just long. I've heard good things about Spectre Ops and Fury of Dracula too!

As for stuff not on the list: Colt Express is really fun, and I haven't seen Nations at game night, but maybe someone has it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandi H
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
To Die For Games
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
louisl wrote:
Starlorz wrote:
Fury of Dracula
Cash and Guns
Specter Ops
Suburbia (although I think someone might own this one already)
Orleans

Here are a few I was thinking about:
Netrunner
Mice and Mystics
X-Wing Minis
Mage Knight
Netrunner and X-Wing are very good games, but maybe not the best choice for game night. There are competitive leagues that are really popular for those. 2 player games make for good tournaments. That is, unless you really like those games-I'm which case go for it! I have some X Wing, but rarely play.

Orleans isn't out retail yet, but it looks really good. I almost did the Kickstarter. I like Mice and Mystics, but it benefits from campaign play, where the same group goes through the entire story. I've not played Mage Knight, but I heard it's really good, just long. I've heard good things about Spectre Ops and Fury of Dracula too!

As for stuff not on the list: Colt Express is really fun, and I haven't seen Nations at game night, but maybe someone has it.
Great overview and suggestion Louis

I am really looking forward to playing Orleans when it comes out!! (I thought it was out already lol)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Orleans has made it to Canadian online retailers. I haven't seen it at a brick and mortar yet, which is the point of this thread. I can vouch that Specter Ops is a fun game if you like that hunter/hidden movement style game. I haven't played Fury of Dracula but most people that have rave about it. I do know that it a longer game (~3hrs) so take that into consideration. If you like conflict games, I can recommend Blood Rage a good fun game too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |