Popular Tags: train [+] [View All]
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking to get into some of the crayon rail games. I have Empire Builder in the mail. Can anyone tell me what size the board is so that I can get a sheet of plexiglass? What other crayon rail games have the same size/shape board? Is there a good size that I can use for this and other games (optimal size shape)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
The Empire Builder board (and most of the others in the series) are about 22" x 27". Iron Dragon is a bit wider at about 22" x 36". The game boards are hard mounted and have a good surface, so I haven't felt the need to break out the plexi with them.

If you are near (or want to drive to) Baltimore, I can give you a quick start on the Empire Builder system at our monthly game session (1st Saturday of the month).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
What location? (how do you clean your board?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the board is mounted instead of plexiglass you can get a transparency sheet. It is much easier to store and cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mackey
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
(how do you clean your board?)

If you do use plexiglass, try dry erase markers. Normal Kleenex works fine or if stubburn, a little water (or spit even) cleans it up nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use plexiglas (I also use it for wargame paper maps). I use 18"x24 mainly for the ease of carrying (it fits well on top of my game tubs) to conventions, gamesdays, etc. Generally you need 2 sheets of that size: Russian (barely--it just covers all of the cities--and leaves a few buildable places that no one ever builds to) & Indian Rails can get by with one.

Use Vis-a-Vis overhead projector (wet erase) markers. The plexiglass cleans well with a wet paper towel. Don't use dry erase--it wipes off too easily. And your actual boards NEVER get dirty. (One hint is to mark the large cities with the red pen as a witness mark, if the plexi gets bumped it can be easily reset.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll cast my vote for not fooling with plexi-glass at all. We've never really found it necessary. We use the large crayola wash off crayons. They do just fine for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
What location? (how do you clean your board?)

I host GCOM Hillendale (just east of Towson): http://www.gamesclubofmd.org/locations.asp?location=16

The board cleans up fine with a dry paper towel. The included crayons wipe up easily. I've also used china markers before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.