Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is is just me, or is this game very easy?

In the first misison I just had to sit in the cover surrounding the town and wait for the AI to get a "move towards" to do a suicide move into the open at short range. The infantry wouldn't even take a shot at my guys since they needed an 11 to hit. The half-track was a minor threat.

I thought maybe this is just the intro mission and it's supposed to be very easy. But now I'm doing mission 2 and the AI has just driven down down the street, leaving itself wide open to flank shots from the hidden pioneer units (which can easily get in 2-3 shots due to their low activation rating). The game is basically over on round one.

I think the AI needs way more advantages to have a change, e.g. maybe if my units weren't hidden and they had 5 tanks instead of 3.

Am I missing something? Do the missions get harder later?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I now played 19 sessions of both official missions and 2 generated by the Firefight Generator and won 6...

2 of these 6 wins of mine were against a quite unbalanced made firefight generated mission with the Russians , ... until I switched sides and I lost with the Germans at - 3VP.

So my win rate is less than 30%, which is quite a challenge.

I did a replay of Mission 3 on these pages and it shows the strength of this system as you need to accomplish the mission objective within a timer and the AI always seems to have these blue CAP cards going for the kill.

So nope, I don't buy this easy pick talk.

Certainly not in view of the fact replayability of each mission is HUGE and the AI system always works differently, so in 5 plays of the basic scenario it handled the situations differently each time. Not surprising, since the AI is handled by logical but still random strategy card draw.

------ Reason why-----

The real strength of this solo system is that CoH plays step by step, so each single move creates a different situation both for players and for the AI, which adds to both the variety and the use of different tactical lines on the AI cards.

Add in the blue cards which are - of course - in favor of the AI and you get a quite challenging game mode mostly running against time.

The only problem I see is with the FireFight creator for solo play as I need around 3 or 4 "firefights" before I can have a great scenario. But perhaps that's also due to the fact I need more practice in designing scenarios.

But even then your best bet is to change sides and take on an uphill battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I started scenario 4 last night which is much more interesting and challenging. So things are looking up. I still think scenario 2 is a bit flawed in design, the AI just has no way to account for the threat of your hidden units, as a human player would do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B.
Poland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play a male Dwarf!Microbadge: I destroy all in my path!Microbadge: Dungeon-crawlerMicrobadge: I'm an Armchair GeneralMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan
I have to try out "sitting in the woods" tactic in the first scenario, because when I try to do anything else I get shot to pieces by the AI...Tried 2 Times so far and failed twice :-) I think I got a bit unlucky on AIs dicerolls and cards draws but I found out one thing for sure - trying to close the distance in the field of fire is extremely dangerous even against spent AI as you never know when the blue card pops up. Anyway,so far for me very very challenging, and that's actually great :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
Microbadge: Detective: City of Angels fanMicrobadge: Level 10 BGG posterMicrobadge: Everdell fanMicrobadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fan
With all due respect, if you find this game too easy -- especially mission 2 over on round 1 -- I have to think you're playing incorrectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
With all due respect, if you find this game too easy -- especially mission 2 over on round 1 -- I have to think you're playing incorrectly.
Yep, I agree. However, I have not really played Mission 1 except when learning the system, after which I immediately moved on. The other missions though are not easy. If they appear easy, reread the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B.
Poland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play a male Dwarf!Microbadge: I destroy all in my path!Microbadge: Dungeon-crawlerMicrobadge: I'm an Armchair GeneralMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan
As I already noted, so far this game seems very hard for me, even in scenario 1. You have to be really careful or you get shot in the face. It really is a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls