Subject: Houses and caverns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
redOne El Big Daddy
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

Managed to get my KS version to the table. As I was pretty well prepared to explain all the rules, we stumbled upon something I couldn't find out in the ruling i.e. can a player get a cavern card without a house to support it... for example when you have 5 houses and 5 caverns and/or outposts, can you then still perform an explore action to get a sixth cavern card?

From the wording in the rulebook I decided to rule it negative, meaning you couldn't.

Thanx for the clarification :-)

the redOne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the exact opposite. We figured the caverns are exactly that...caverns or tunnels and are completely independent of the houses above. Obviously the outpost requires a cavern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
Microbadge: ShamanismMicrobadge: I drop the F-bombMicrobadge: Mark of the DamnedMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Neon Genesis Evangelion fan
MilkFromACow wrote:
We played the exact opposite. We figured the caverns are exactly that...caverns or tunnels and are completely independent of the houses above. Obviously the outpost requires a cavern.
I'm quite certain that this is correct… you can keep exploring, even without a building above it.

There's a Building that scores points per each empty cavern (not outpost) at game end...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also agree, no need to limit building numbers, above or below
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They "above" and "below" buildings are independent of each other. The only thing is that you have to have an open cavern card to be able to build an outpost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
redOne El Big Daddy
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx for the quick responses. Obviously this way it makes a lot more sense... luckily it only happened once at our table that night.

Next week I'll be explaining this game at our Game Cave... sure this second time will be even more exciting now I have the rules right :-)

Take care and enjoy!!

the redOne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mb
brrrmanza wrote:

There's a Building that scores points per each empty cavern (not outpost) at game end...
We'd thought that bonus was for explored caverns - so we thought you'd get a point whether you'd built an outpost in the cavern or not (as either way you still have the card shown).
I wonder how one can check this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
brrrmanza wrote:

We'd thought that bonus was for explored caverns - so we thought you'd get a point whether you'd built an outpost in the cavern or not (as either way you still have the card shown).
Actually, as I recall, there's two buildings, one that scores outposts and one that scores empty caverns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Calne
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
brrrmanza wrote:

We had this come up the other day. It does seem that one card gives points for empty caverns, the other for outposts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sneakypete21 wrote:
entwife wrote:
brrrmanza wrote:

We had this come up the other day. It does seem that one card gives points for empty caverns, the other for outposts.
Yes, the card that gives points for empty caves does not apply for caves you've explored that have an outpost in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mb
mechanicalfish wrote:
sneakypete21 wrote:
entwife wrote:
brrrmanza wrote:

Yes, the card that gives points for empty caves does not apply for caves you've explored that have an outpost in them.
Ah thanks Ryan, I see that was actually completely clear in the rules - I just made an assumption and didn't checkblush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Calne
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for the record Ryan, and this is not meant to be sucking-up, I just want to thank you for Above and Below. I can't really think of any other games that I have so instantly fallen in love with. Thankfully two members of my gaming group backed it on kickstarter so I'll have plenty more plays in the near future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls