Subject: Any difference between Additional and Optional rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated in the question title: is there any difference between an Additional and an Optional rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Amaddeo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mike!

Let's take a small step back.

Basic rules are "average" or "balanced" rules adapt for anyone approaching the game; however there is a set of small additional rules that make the game more interesting and deep, with a very small amount of additional complexity: using these additional rules is strongly recommended, especially once you've mastered the basic rules with a game or two.

Optional rules are intended for historical accuracy, but add a lot of complexity to the game and sometimes make it unbalanced or less playable: let's take, for example, the bolt-action rifles rule. It makes you fire just once every 2 turns...it risks to get very annoying and to unbalance the game if you are firing against semi-auto weapons. Actually bolt-action riflemen were fast enough to shoot a couple of rounds every 10 seconds so, it wouldn't be so unrealistic to avoid this rule.
Probably the only optional rule I would use is the full moon night rule, as it adds a lot in terms of game depth and strategy.

Anyway, feel free to play what rule you want, even mixing them up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks. I see the difference - have been skimming through the rules provided here online in great anticipation of picking up tomorrow my own copy of the game from my local supplier.

Got to say that everything I've read and seen so far fires my interest and enthusiasm for this product and its system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls