Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
What are some games that you did not like the art for at first (maybe it was too plain or too stylized), but eventually won you over?

One game that really sticks out in my mind is Chaosmos. The aliens remind me of something a kid might draw with crayons- creatures that defy logic. After playing it a bunch, I got sucked into this alien world that didn't care about human aesthetics.

I was also lukewarm on the artwork for Eclipse but after repeated plays, it really gives me an old 80's PC game vibe, with small static portraits and clean iconography. It's functional and dare I say, classy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Art that won you over.
Art Fleming; 'know doubts', 'obviously'! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otherworldly Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension: Deckbuilding Game

The original version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glory to Rome, original version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glaya B
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Archon: Glory & Machination - I couldn't stand the clockwork look at first, but it grew on me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stonemaier Games' art has impressed me a lot.

I payed full retail for Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia, which I almost never do, because I didn't want to wait for it to get to stores, because the art and theme sucked me in so much.

I just backed Scythe, and I'm not going to say I backed it because of the art, but damn, the art really helped.

I also love the simple art of Kigi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - half-full heart containerMicrobadge: Rush fan
Snowless11 wrote:
I payed full retail for Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia, which I almost never do, because I didn't want to wait for it to get to stores, because the art and theme sucked me in so much.
You missed the point of the question. I'll repeat it, with emphasis: What are some games that you did not like the art for at first (maybe it was too plain or too stylized), but eventually won you over?

ironically, Euphoria was a counter-example for me. I liked the art at first, but I eventually found it too colorful. Thankfully the board had a black & white side. But sure there must have been a happy medium with a more muted palette.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not an aesthetic by any stretch of the imagination but these games are much better than their art to me.

Ascension (plain), Dominion (plain), BattleCON (not into anime style) and PBL Robots (looks like notebook art, which I like now) most recently. The games were good enough that they all grew on me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary Encounters. At first I did not like the comic book style art but it grew on me and now I love it

Wargames in general. Ugly squares with some rectangles on it? Lame paper sheet maps... I hated it at first. Bit now I see beond the chits and get into the game instead. And have settled with the "wargame style".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose it's more a case of non-art but Age of Steam finally won me over for its clarity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls