Popular Tags: [View All]
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm toying with the idea of a custom settlement location for tracking all the promo gear that starts to accumulate along with whatever custom Gear people (or myself) start to begin throwing around. Mostly I just forget that the promo gear exists or I don't want to be bothered reaching all the way over 2ft into the box to get the gear card out to see what the recipe is. I've also wanted to start deconstructing the Settlement Location cards to figure out how to make custom ones.

I'm not in love with the art as it doesn't really fit the theme, but surprisingly enough there's not a whole heckuvalot of charcoal drawings out there of pre-technological human beings in a land of stone faces to pick from. I know that the Dying Lantern and Vibrant Lanterns don't technically have recipes and you're just supposed to start the game with them, but that just felt weird. They're not terribly overpowered I thought, but maybe they should be limited to only one survivor? I don't know, Monster Grease gives you about the same benefit as the Dying Lantern.

Still a WIP. More to come whenever promos come out or if I ever get around to making up some custom Gear. Or if somebody has ideas for custom gear I'm open to throwing them in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric LAURENT
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent idea.

What about an Hexcrawl campaign for KD this time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I still need to finish the original HexCrawl! I saw somebody else here was trying to come up with a system for using a hex map during the Hunt phase, but I don't know how well it works in the KDM setting. In Shadows of Brimstone it's more or less a "known" place where people can travel from one town to another and you can have a map. In KDM, maps aren't even supposed to exist and it feels more mysterious. I'd love it if the Hunt phase were more developed, but I think abstracting things out is the way to go. Either that or a system for randomized campaigns are what I've been contemplating.

There's also the variant I was wanting to finish for the Quiet Years + Kingdom Death mash-up at some point. I think I dropped it waiting for more info on the game and haven't gotten around to picking it back up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Or were you talking about making Kingdom Death into a Shadows of Brimstone Otherworld? I think I had mentioned that before in those forums. I'm not sure how far you could push the Hardcore death part in that game, but certainly the idea of a crossover there might work since there's alot of similarities in their mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
Microbadge: ShamanismMicrobadge: I drop the F-bombMicrobadge: Mark of the DamnedMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Neon Genesis Evangelion fan
Since you mentioned the comparison to the Monster Grease, I would suggest that the Lanterns cost a little less to produceā€¦ especially since what they can be archived for is washed out by the cost to produce. Monster Grease is just 1x organ, right?

Maybe having an "achievement" for them to unlock:
Dying Lantern: Have 1 survivor return from a Showdown, where the 3 other survivors perish (tweak numbers as you see fit) - Or just a TPK

Vibrant Lantern: Return from a showdown with at least 10 resources and a full party.

Other than that, super cool idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Still going back and forth in my head about it the cost of the two promo lanterns. I still think they should be more expensive than what you get back from them, so at the very least 2 resources per item. In my mind however, those items each have three separate effects going on.

Vibrant Lantern
- +1 Accuracy
- archive to gain 1 Broken Lantern resource
- archive to gain 1 Survival

Dying Lantern
- +1 Evasion
- archive to gain 1 Skull resource
- archive to gain 3 Insanity

I guess comparing these to some other items, maybe the other effects aren't great enough to warrant a 3rd resource for cost? For instance, Rawhide Gloves and Rawhide boots give you +1 Survival each time you depart in addition to providing 1 Armor, but each Gear only costs a single Hide resource. The Jack o lantern gives you +10 Survival (when someone dies) and only costs 2 resources. But the Vibrant Lantern acts almost like a Survival battery that adds +1 to your survival limit since you can hold onto it until you've run out of survival during the Showdown phase and then give yourself a boost, unlike the Rawhide stuff that can't go past your survival limit.

I'll need to do some more comparisons to other items to see how I want to handle it. Maybe even going the "achievement" route can work too since the cards themselves don't have any recipe on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
I floop the pig!
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this exact same idea, glad to see someone executing it much better than I could have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric LAURENT
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
Or were you talking about making Kingdom Death into a Shadows of Brimstone Otherworld? I think I had mentioned that before in those forums. I'm not sure how far you could push the Hardcore death part in that game, but certainly the idea of a crossover there might work since there's alot of similarities in their mechanics.
Not at all it's just because we share the same games and I really like what you do. The only crossover could be to adapt KDM monsters to Brimstone.

You can't deal with KDM as you do with Brimstone and so far the only thing we could do (as there are no maps because of map eaters) is merely change the timeline of the story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea and well executed! I am jealous of your ability to make things look pretty, sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls