Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stoddart
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you tell the first and second editions apart and what are the differences? By second edition I don't mean the Decision Games version, which I believe is the 3rd incarnation. Are there any major differences between the tray and boxed versions? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Gifford
United States
South Sioux City
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hi Mike - sorry for the delay in answering this. The primary change is the rules, which came emblazoned on the cover of the rules as '2nd Edition.' Later sets were released with the same 2nd edition on the cover. I BELIEVE that EVERY 4" box game was a second edition version, and both the box and rules would say so. The original flat packs were 1st edition, and you can frequently tell if they were upgraded after the fact because they will have two sets of rules - 1 without a cover, and one with a cover since SPI asked purchasers to send them the COVER of the rule set to get the second edition free of charge.

I THINK it also came with a added player chart - but have to check that. Will get back to you soon!

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Gifford
United States
South Sioux City
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ok - as discussed - the major difference is the rule book. You will know it by the big '2nd Edition' right below the title. It not only cleans up the earlier errata, but adds a few rules sections as well. (Such as Air Strikes.)

Thus the Allied and German Turn Record Track was updated - not in a major way, just adding the air strike points to the top line.

It also cleaned up the convoluted issues on some of the morale and close action, so a new Charts and Tables was issues - with renumbering 8.72 and 8.73, and better notes on the tables.

The off board movement track was re-issued since one of the deadline times was wrong.

I don't know if the org tracks were redone.

Here is a handy link! (I think you have to copy and paste it in, not just click it.)

http://www.fantassin.org/httr.htm" target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener">http://web.archive.org/web/20041204084607/http://www.fantass...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stoddart
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Russell, much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Gifford
United States
South Sioux City
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Comparing the org charts, I see about a line of text added that is a minor clarifier about the [E] notification. The only change I see on a cursory exam of the org charts themselves is that a COUPLE of items have the [E] added after their counter. (Most that needed it already had it.)

Glad to help. My original copy was a boxed second edition. I stupidly sold it in 1990. I got a flat pack later, and had to do some work to get it up to speed.

It is a very good game - at least on the scenario level. I often feel criticisms of these monsters is largely unfair and often overblown. This one truly needed more clarity on the rules, and SPI provided it free of charge to the people who bought the 1st edition.

Does it do more than the Westwall quad? Yes, much more. Were two of the games in the quad next to worthless? Yes. Do we remember that the quad cost $12 to $15, when this monster was $20 to $25 at the time? Which one teaches you what REALLY caused difficulties in Operation Market Garden? Which taught you about the need for combined arms, and the difficulties in the inherent plan of the operation? Did you feel you had a chance to win the scenarios? Yes, especially after the changes. All in all, this was a very good simulation, and very playable in the scenario level. Same is true of Wellington's Victory, of Operation Typhoon, and yes, Campaign for North Africa. IMHO. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall playing the game and using a house rule that XXX Corps could only attack on a front of X number of hexes and not all across the map. I forget what X was exactly, but it was something like 8 or 10. The rationale was the Allies would always win without such a rule or similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls