Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
68 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Carson Hangin' with Jesus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: whose_the_real_racist [+] Black_Klingon_Jesus [+] Whose?_Really? [+] [View All]
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chemical EngineerMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Control Systems Engineer
How many of you have a painting of yourself with The Mesiah? Carson does...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chemical EngineerMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Control Systems Engineer
It's weird that Jesus only has stigmata on one hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

Why do you care?

Seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Meerkat wrote:

Why do you care?

Seriously.
He's currently one of the top contenders for the Presidency. And it's really quite odd...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
pwn3d wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

Why do you care?

Seriously.
I don't think he would, but Carson is running for president.
So what?

If Obama had a picture somebody had painted of him with Jesus would you have voted for McCain?

Do you think Obama is lying about being a Christian or that he prays or that his Christianity is important to him?

I can understand not agreeing with Carson on issues, but this kind of stuff is beyond petty.

It is just as obnoxious as when people made an issue of Obama eating dog meat and Romney traveling with his dog in a carrier on the roof. These are petty and stupid things to be making into a big deal. And have NOTHING to do with competency of the candidates.

How can we say we care about SUBSTANCE when everybody is thrilled to have more new stupid things to distribute to everybody and swirl up tempests in tea cups over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I didn't say anything about not voting for Carson because of this, now did I?

Geeze, what's put you in such a snit?

I think this is just pretty odd. Why do you keep defending Carson?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb

The big picture is that Carson's success is really starting to scare people. (Look at all the anti Carson threads suddenly appearing here.) Unlike most of the candidates he has a legitimate shot at the White House. I haven't been following all the accusations but it seems to me that Trump would be the main beneficiary of these attacks. So, although those on the left are the ones spreading the stories, I wouldn't be too surprised to learn that these stories originated from a leaky Camp Donald.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:
pwn3d wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

Why do you care?

Seriously.
I don't think he would, but Carson is running for president.
So what?

If Obama had a picture somebody had painted of him with Jesus would you have voted for McCain?

Do you think Obama is lying about being a Christian or that he prays or that his Christianity is important to him?

I can understand not agreeing with Carson on issues, but this kind of stuff is beyond petty.

It is just as obnoxious as when people made an issue of Obama eating dog meat and Romney traveling with his dog in a carrier on the roof. These are petty and stupid things to be making into a big deal. And have NOTHING to do with competency of the candidates.

How can we say we care about SUBSTANCE when everybody is thrilled to have more new stupid things to distribute to everybody and swirl up tempests in tea cups over.
Yeah, I agree with Lynette. It's just a picture of him and the higher power he believes he is with or will be with. He's under scrutiny now, but this is like going after Obama's church attendance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gialmere wrote:

The big picture is that Carson's success is really starting to scare people. (Look at all the anti Carson threads suddenly appearing here.) Unlike most of the candidates he has a legitimate shot at the White House. I haven't been following all the accusations but it seems to me that Trump would be the main beneficiary of these attacks. So, although those on the left are the ones spreading the stories, I wouldn't be too surprised to learn that these stories originated from a leaky Camp Donald.
The party delegates can just boot these weirdos who may get access to the nuclear trigger. At the 2016 GOP Convention, they just say no to kookoo. Then too bad low-information voters, it's not illegal, it was never meant to be democratic. Conservative primary voters can then go cry a river. It's the Party Bosses' Party, party choices have no legal enforcement mechanism under the constitution or federal or state law.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
einsteinidahosu wrote:
Gialmere wrote:

The party delegates can just boot these weirdos who may get access to the nuclear trigger. At the 2016 GOP Convention, they just say no to kookoo. Then too bad low-information voters, it's not illegal, it was never meant to be democratic. Conservative primary voters can then go cry a river. It's the Party Bosses' Party, party choices have no legal enforcement mechanism under the constitution or federal or state law.
Nah, I can't see that happening. The 1968 DNC convention spelled the death knell for the party boss system. If Trump or Carson wins the nomination only to have RNC bosses overturn the voter's decision then the GOP itself would collapse and shatter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Agents of legitimate governments serve those over whom they exercise power, not those who exercise power over them.
mbmb
jmilum wrote:
Why do you keep defending Carson?
She's not, though--she's pointing out that this particular way of attacking him is problematic. That doesn't mean her views about him are positive.

My guess is that it seems to her like almost anyone who lived their faith in a way which was distinguishable from not having any (except during worship services) would be made fun of for however their behavior deviated from secular America's. I think there's something to that--I've often seen anyone who behaved in ways which seemed foreign treated pretty badly, and to a lot of folks in blue states, taking your religion seriously enough to actually believe you've had a personal experience with miracles (or to avoid seeing a painting like this as creepy and awful) counts as foreign. I don't want people reacting to someone seeing the hand of God in their life the same way people so often react upon learning that Mormons have holy underwear. It's just not that weird, and thinking it is separates us from an awful lot of Americans.

I think we can avoid that concern by pointing out that there's a myth-making quality to Carson's self-descriptions which is a bit too openly self-serving for us to be comfortable with his honesty and perspective, and this painting is an example. It's not that he takes his religion too seriously that's the problem, but that painting a literal, embodied Christ into his life is only a small step beyond the way he portrays the rest of his history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Microbadge: I don't use any card sleevesMicrobadge: I couldn't care less what color I play with!Microbadge: I rarely log my playsMicrobadge: Good games do not need expansions!Microbadge: I avoid Kickstarter
einsteinidahosu wrote:
…He's under scrutiny now, but this is like going after Obama's church attendance.
Obama's "church attendance" was about him sitting through sermons advocating violence for years and that when asked about it Obama basically said he was too stupid to realize the sermons were promoting violence. These things are hardly comparable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Meerkat wrote:

Why do you care?

Seriously.
I don't really care, but it makes me think he's a narcissist to have this made. I don't really want someone even MORE narcissistic than our last 20 years of fucktards in office. So yes, I kind of care to the extent it shines light on that. A narcissist doesn't generally make for good character to hold public office. Sure, a neurosurgeon? Most of them are probably narcissists. Makes them great for browbeating nurses and being excellent surgeons. Doesn't make them great for other things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deleted112516 wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
Why do you care?

Seriously.
I don't really care, but it makes me think he's a narcissist to have this made.
Is that the story behind this painting? He had it made? It wasn't a gift or an art class assignment? You guys don't have paintings of yourselves in your house?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Deleted112516 wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
Why do you care?

Seriously.
Is that the story behind this painting? He had it made? It wasn't a gift or an art class assignment? You guys don't have paintings of yourselves in your house?
Personally, I do not. I also do not have misspelled engravings of Bible verses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
kuhrusty wrote:
Deleted112516 wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
Why do you care?

Seriously.
With Jesus? No, I don't. Sheesh, Rusty, WTF do you have in your foyer anyway?

Oh wait, it was a GIFT? That makes it muy excellent!

Now I want to commission a gift of a picture of me and cthulhu. This won't go over well with the in-laws, but the heck with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Microbadge: I don't use any card sleevesMicrobadge: I couldn't care less what color I play with!Microbadge: I rarely log my playsMicrobadge: Good games do not need expansions!Microbadge: I avoid Kickstarter
Deleted112516 wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:
Deleted112516 wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
Why do you care?

Seriously.
With Jesus? No, I don't. Sheesh, Rusty, WTF do you have in your foyer anyway?

Oh wait, it was a GIFT? That makes it muy excellent!

Now I want to commission a gift of a picture of me and cthulhu. This won't go over well with the in-laws, but the heck with it.
I tried to commission a picture of me and G-d but since G-d has no physical form all I got was myself with a bunch of empty white space. Most scanners automatically cropped it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesus's hands are evil hands, look at them, they are like a permanent claw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Deleted112516 wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
Why do you care?

Seriously.
I too wondered what the story behind the picture might be and I found a link while looking that I am going to post here, in your honor Rusty. Cause if they are gonna mock the man, the least they can do is make it actually FUNNY, like you would.

This site managed to do that. Seriously it made me laugh two or three times. And it is right up your alley.

http://verysmartbrothas.com/this-painting-of-ben-carson-and-...

You all are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
pwn3d wrote:
- and then went back to class dummy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Competence- It's like a whole new form of cheating!
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally find that ironwork to be significantly more problematic.

I'll have a McMansion with xtra cheez.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
Microbadge: Hockey fanMicrobadge: plusMicrobadge: Toronto Maple Leafs fanMicrobadge: equalsMicrobadge: I don't want to talk about my favorite team.
Deleted112516 wrote:
WTF do you have in your foyer anyway?
The laws of Chez Kuhrusty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis wrote:
Deleted112516 wrote:
WTF do you have in your foyer anyway?
The laws of Chez Kuhrusty.
That, and this.

Deleted112516 wrote:
Put a picture of yourself in your gallery, and the Internet shall provide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
jesus hair is apparently sterile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
kuhrusty wrote:

Deleted112516 wrote:
Put a picture of yourself in your gallery, and the Internet shall provide.
Oh man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |