Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
badge
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought I would have a thread for how I alter the game to fit my play style/version of Xia I want to play. So far I have only played the game properly a few times, but really like it.

TRADING:
I have house ruled the Buy/Sell action to the 'Business Phase'. This means that buying or selling ends your not only your movement but your entire action phase. This means that getting points via the trade system is a much more time intensive process. Chuck just one person in the mix who is packed to the brim with blasters and missiles and you have essentially made the easiest way to win into a risky proposition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm I enjoy the game straight up, but this is an interesting and soooorta thematic solution to a "problem" some perceive. I think it may swing things far too much in the other direction for my taste, but I like the form of the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
badge
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb
It came about from me messing the rules up the first time and I found I liked it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Xenothon on this one. Very interesting rule. It's something that people have talked about on BGG, but I don't know where to find that. It's also a rule that I hate and would never use.

Trading is the best way to generate money, and a reasonable way to get FP. Missions are the best way to get FP, and a reasonable way to get money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
badge
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb
From the few games I have played trading has been the fastest and easiest way to get money and go even with rule in place. Missions always feel like an endgame option as I often find the starting point or end point undiscovered. The same is possible for trading obviously...but you have all available choices not just three cards to choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrooge McDuck
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I messed up the rules too, initially and found out that it not only made sense but played better (for me). I have even made separate tokens which I put on the ship cards to show the ship has "landed" on a planet. Once it landed, the action phase for a given player ends. As I am playing "simultaneous" actions too - a player may do actions until they use arm marker - it helps to keep track of who has the initiative (does actions first) as these tokens have respective number on them. When landed, the initiative is passed to the landed player. This makes the game more fun, dynamic and cuts out idle time between players. It also makes trading more cut-throat and strategic as initiatives are passed and there's no real "first" player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls