Anh Khoa Nguyen
Vietnam
flag msg tools
I have read the rulebook and it looks like you can no longer sacrifice units in raids and wars ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Better Living Through ChemistryMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Beard fanMicrobadge: Leather Pride
Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. And that's neither as the attacker or the defender; and neither in Aggressions or Wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Castellon
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
#sad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Shuichi Niwa wrote:
I have read the rulebook and it looks like you can no longer sacrifice units in raids and wars ?
There's a video up in the video area, or on my YT channel of all the changes to the rules in the new version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
fbdog wrote:
#sad
if you don't like it, change it.

The stated reasons for doing so make a lot of sense I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Better Living Through ChemistryMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Beard fanMicrobadge: Leather Pride
I believe it's been stated elsewhere that the reason for the change was because the original rules ended up penalising the player trailing in military even more than they were already being penalised (i.e, the player had to sacrifice units they couldn't afford, thus leading to a downward spiral), creating a negative play experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I believe it's been stated elsewhere that the reason for the change was because the original rules ended up penalising the player trailing in military even more than they were already being penalised (i.e, the player had to sacrifice units they couldn't afford, thus leading to a downward spiral), creating a negative play experience.
Paul who must be obeyed said it was more that two people fight, sacrifice a bunch of units and a 3rd player being left in front of both and opportunistically taking easy pot shots at them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Paul who must be obeyed.
Quite right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I'm doubting this change, but where does it say this in the rulebook? I've just been through it but can't seem to see it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
Not that I'm doubting this change, but where does it say this in the rulebook? I've just been through it but can't seem to see it...
it doesn't say it explicitly anywhere, as it's not a rule, the point is it doesn't exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
I suspect it's more the lack of a rule stating that you can sacrifice units...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
tonksey wrote:
Where are you expecting to find a rule that doesn't exist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
tonksey wrote:
I'm not, but as someone who played the previous version I was obviously looking for it subconsciously...

It might have been better (for someone like me) to make it clear this no longer applies in the new rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
tonksey wrote:
I'm not, but as someone who played the previous version I was obviously looking for it subconsciously...

It might have been better (for someone like me) to make it clear this no longer applies in the new rulebook?
Absolutely not! You don't write rules about *other* games in a rulebook! Paul did a conversion video, there are a bunch of other threads about it. There could be an additional appendix sheet somewhere in the box but it really wouldn't belong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The new handbook will contain a "whats new section", but I agree there is no place for a rule that doesn't exist any more in the actual rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls