Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can play competently many games, but this little bastard baffles me. Is there a strategy guide anywhere that I can use to raise from village-idiot level? Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

- Build up your hand to 5 cards.

- Play defensively. But strike at the right time.

- Count cards. There are 2 cards of every island. If you know which cards have been played and which are still there to be played, you have an advantage.

- Try to end a round with cards in your hand. So you know that your opponent won't have these cards in the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips.

Hexendoktor wrote:

Can you elaborate?

Hexendoktor wrote:
- Count cards. There are 2 cards of every island. If you know which cards have been played and which are still there to be played, you have an advantage.

That must be the reason I suck at the game: I'm a lousy card counter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fameros wrote:
Thanks for the tips.

Hexendoktor wrote:

Can you elaborate?

Not sure. I think I played one of the variants from the rulebook more than the basic game.

Basically try to get islands that are next to each other, so that placing a bridge helps to strengthen your position on two islands.

If you only have 3 bridges to a 4-letter-island your opponent can make you lose control by removing just one bridge. Don't rely on such easy to conquer islands as it may lead to a cascade of islands lost (I think that is only true in the variant).

Quote:
Hexendoktor wrote:

That must be the reason I suck at the game: I'm a lousy card counter.

I don't like counting cards myself. I don't want to play a memory game. But it helps to just count a few cards.

When two cards of an island have been played already it is harder to get to that island. If no one has played cards to a certain island and it is getting close to the end of a round, then one or two players are hording those cards. In that case, let your opponent do the first move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im also frustrated by this game but i absolutely love it. I think what im doing wrong is exactly what you are saying... Not keeping track of the remaining cards and not striking at the right time. I find that when i slow down and play more patiently... Like waiting for my opponent to make the first move i do a lot better. I just lost a game on bga 5-0 which sounds bad, but the game was decided by the last two or three moves. Up until that point i was only down 2-0 and i thought i had a good chance to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few little observations:

Timing and paying attention to the end of round approaching is clearly important. If you can e.g. destroy a key opponent bridge, costing them some island markers = points, right as the round ends, that's great, whereas doing it early or midway through the round, they may easily rebuild the bridge and restore their position - and you've just spent 2 cards to kill the bridge while they spent only 1 card to restore it.

Building bridges is cheaper than destroying bridges.

Often it's not good to destroy an opponent bridge and make them lose control, because if they then regain control of the island, then they knock off your bridges automatically. Be willing to suffer that (for whatever tactical/strategic reason), or else be prepared to put more of your own bridges down in sufficient numbers to ensure that they can't retake control of the island.

Of course pay attention to what visible cards your opponent takes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may sound like a far fetched comparison, but playing the game has reminded me of Lost Cities, and some of the tips I read here confirm the similarity. I play Lost Cities fairly well, so there may be hope that one day I can win a single play of Kahuna.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.