Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
If an Art. unit is located on the backside of a slope only hill
it should be able to place some men with a phone just over the crest
and they can direct the unit's fire as a CP. They can only fire over
brown hexsides of their own hex and along one that radiates from
their hex if it is 1 hexside long.

Any unit that is capable of indirect fire and also Lt/Med M should be able to do this.
This was one of the main advantages of howitzers and mortars.

These units might also be able to do this from a hilltop hex that is behind another hilltop hex. They can only fire over 1 hilltop hex, except to fire at another hilltop hex.

Lt/Med M can also fire out of a Gully hex at any hex it could see if it were not a gully hex. [This is 6 hexes max. to a ground level hex and to their range limit at slopes and hilltops.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Kochan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello...

Very good subject, thanks for bringing it up. I totally agree with you on this. There should be some sort of ability for a 'battery' to direct its own fire against targets that it does not have a direct line of site to.

We have used an rule similar to that of a 'zone' of control'. In that a unit may 'spot' from hexes which it is adjacent to. So, in effect it would be as if the actual unit occupied the hex to which it is adjacent to for spotting and attacking purposes. It would not be a 'direct fired' type of attack though. And as such it would be, an area fire, type of attack. That is to say a particular unit, in the target hex, could not be singled out, and the attack factors applied in some random way, even if there is only one unit in the 'targeted' hex. And so the fire is reduced and units may only use its attack factor type (H,M...) for the attack. 'A' class units may not fire as 'A' class units in this way, but may, if applicable, fire at the reduced 'non A' factor, with further reductions for 'indirect fire'. 'A' class units may only attack 'A' class targets using a direct-fire method. No, intervening hex sides and so on.

A 'facing' rule would be very helpful here, in this situation. Some units should have a limited field of fire for this situation. Of course the unit could be 'repositioned', change the F.O.F., but it should take time to do so. As to if any sort of time delay should apply, such as designate this turn, implement it the next turn might be something to consider too... I guess it should be on a case by case basis. Relative to unit type and such.

Thanks for listening...

Dennis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Plymale
United States
Huddleston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem here is what are my options to suppress the observers? I think this is getting below the detail level in the game. I agree that the FO's came from the battery. However there presence is accounted for in the game by giving certain units the ability to call fire beyond the CP's.

There's way more involved here than just telling three guys to go to the top of the hill and call in the battery's fire. Sorry, IMHO stealth spotters not allowed. As always discuss optional rules before the game and write down what's in use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
zaarin7 wrote:
The problem here is what are my options to suppress the observers? I think this is getting below the detail level in the game. I agree that the FO's came from the battery. However their presence is accounted for in the game by giving certain units the ability to call fire beyond the CP's. [Steve's reply, but what if those sorts of units are not present?]

There's way more involved here than just telling three guys to go to the top of the hill and call in the battery's fire. Sorry, IMHO stealth spotters not allowed. As always discuss optional rules before the game and write down what's in use.
Sorry for the late reply, I saw this just now.

1st, my variant will make it much more difficult to destroy units by fire alone. Art. is firing at 1/3 to 1/4 AF, and you can't combine 2 strong Art. units into 1 attack very easily. Therefore you may be worrying about something that I'm not worried about when using my variant rules.

With mu rules -- if [mind you, IF] you had a CP and placed in a slope hex on the other side of the brown hexside, then 1]the CP has a DF of 6 and the attacking Art. unit is halved for the slope [so we will double the CP's DF to 12]. 2] If a 60 AF Art. fires at the CP it has an AF of 60/3 =20. 3] So, the odds are 20 to 12, which reduces to 3-2 on the CRT. This has just 1 X, 1 DD, and 2 D results. So there is a 67% chance the CP will be blinded. However, I'm not doing that.

If it is a simulation then stealth spotters are a definite possibility. Units often came under fire for from Art. that their Art. could not reply to.

If it is more of a game then, yes they seem wonky. The game needs a Smoke rule.

Art. didn't fire away at everything because it needed to save its ammo. We could add an ammo rule based on luck, not bookkeeping. Maybe, "If you are firing [in some weird way] and you roll a 6 then you roll again and if you roll a 5 or 6 then all your remaining ammo is found to be defective and so you remove that Art. unit."

The game represents a short period of intense combat, just 1 or 2 hours. Stealth spotters seem possible to me in this situation. Add smoke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls