The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair warning, this is going to be a very long post. TLDR I finished 92 out of 300 with Brobots.

When World's tickets went on sale back in June, I jumped on the opportunity to grab one. I liked where the game had finally matured to and decided to go for it. I almost went last year but decided against it, based on the state of the meta, (it was possible to buy a ticket and decide at the last minute last year).
In the month's leading up to this year's X-Wing World Championship I had worked very hard on learning to use the Aggressor's well. A great ship with an extreme range of customization options. It took a while to get my build finalized, with only the EPT slot getting swapped occasionally. When in mid-September the half points rule for Large base ships was announced, I seriously thought of abandoning the Brobots and just go back to an Imperial Ace build like I had used back in Regionals, but the thought of using that for 8 rounds of Swiss, did not sound like a great experience. After a last minute practice session with Aces, I took some new scummy tricks back to my Cyber Assassin Droids and reconfigured to better handle them, which always tends to be my worst match up.

My final list I ran was:

IG-88 B
Crack Shot
Fire Control System
Mangler Cannon
Ion Cannon
Feedback Array
Autothrusters
IG-2000

IG-88 C
same except with only HLC

Round 1

Table 43

I played against Travis from Milwaukee WI
Thug Y-Wing Unhinged Astromech w/TLT BTL Title x 4

While we were setting up one of the Designers Frank Brooks and a camera guy came over and took pictures of my gear, which was pretty cool. I was sitting on an end table so it was pretty eye catching from the aisle. Most of my stuff is green yellow acrylic. Some people say it is made of Kryptonite, I will not confirm or deny the rumours.

I was not worried about this match up. Title on all four meant I should be able to outmaneuver and avoid shots. And the Unhinged instead of Agromech meant they would be generally shooting unmodified garbage at me which I should be able to easily dodge.
Well, things didn't go exactly as planned in the end. I managed to kill off everything except 1 Gold when I was down to IG B, which should be a total cake walk at that point. Get behind Ion to taste and blast to pieces when ready. Somehow my years of experience failed me to judge arc on where a 1 straight Ion shot would put him, and I banked when I should have gone straight and before I knew it, I'd lost the match. Oh well, still have a slim chance of going 7 and 1 right?

0-1 75-100

Round 2

Table 69

I played against Thomas.
Soontir Fel w/PTL, RGT, Stealth Device, and Autothrusters; Darth Vader w/Veteran Instincts, X-1 Title, Engine Upgrade; Omicron Group Pilot w/Emperor Palpatine.
I was pretty sure I could handle this match up and he was definitely not liking the looks of my list. I made pretty quick work of taking out Soontir and Vader in about 40 minutes losing IG C in the process. The Shuttle made the most of his dial to provide some type of end game squirming around for 15 minutes while IG-88B worked him over, never allowing him to fire.

1-1 100-50

Round 3

Table 1

There must be some mistake here? Table 1? I went to table 1 and found a young woman there setting up this list:

Trandoshan Slaver (29)

Cartel Marauder (20)
Inertial Dampeners (1)

Syndicate Thug (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
BTL (0)

Syndicate Thug (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
BTL (0)

Total: 100

Introduced myself to Jenny Schafer and asked her what her record was. She said she was 2-0. Ok, that makes sense for her to be at table 1. I went back and checked the pairing list again. Yep, Jenny Schafer vs. me. Ok then.

She set up spread out across the starting area in no particular formation, but proceeded to show extreme skill in forming up on the fly once we began a couple of rounds. I was able to concentrate fire on one of the TLT Y-wings first, then took out the Kihraxz fighter without losing a ship. While the Slaver was hung up on a rock, I was able to take the last Y-Wing down from 6 hp combining fire on it. After that the Slaver didn't last too much longer. Quite a bit of time left in the round so I went off to check in with my friends.

2-1 100-0

Round 4

Feature Match on Twitch livestream video feed

While chilling out, my friends start shouting at me, that I have been called up to the judge's desk. Ok, WTH? I go up there and they tell me I have been selected to play a feature match on the video feed. They ask me what kind of templates I use and I tell them Litko. They tell me I can only use FFG templates, so they will provide with some. Um, ok, I'm not going to not play because of that, although I do like to use my templates on video because they have my screen handle on them and I've been using them since Wave 2 kicked off, I usually drag my 5 straight across the mat like a ticker feed. They tell me I will be playing Martin Hoffmann of Austria, and please go to video stage area, in the front.

He was playing:

Darth Vader (29)
Predator (3)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
Engine Upgrade(4)

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Carnor Jax (26)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)

A list very similar to what I had decided against using. Hmmm.

They explain that all dice have to be rolled in the octagon dice tray for the camera. I say that's fine, but I use an acrylic dice tower, that fits in the tray. They give it the ok, when I demonstrate it will not interfere with the video. Apparently this caused the chat feed to buzz with disparaging opinions. I just roll too wild, and spend much less time chasing dice on the floor if I use the tower plus it makes a very soothing mechanical sound when the dice blast through it.

So the match, which I won't go into too much detail on, because there is video of it, which I have not yet as of this writing watched. I made a mistake early on, where I got my IG B and C mixed up and we had to redo the combat because I thought I was shooting Soontir with an HLC, but it was really and Ion Cannon, wow that was embarrassing. But I got Soontir in the Ion trap. Once Ioned I wanted to block him to deny his actions and then finish him off with shooting and if need be Feedback Array, however when it sprung, I realized that I had misjudged where my 3 bank would take me, and I would give him enough room to just do a 1 forward turtle up and blast my IG away with the help of the other 2 fighters. I aborted the trap, and boosted away. Ahh well, if you watch the video you will watch as I spend the rest of the match futilely hunting Soontir Fel, trying to get that last Hull point off. Once I lost B, Martin had forgotten that C lost B's ability and once he realized it he knew he had the match. I knew it way back when my trap failed. I boosted into a spot where Soontir couldn't get out of Range 1 of C and bug zapped him to death and Ioned myself off the board. Mic drop, roll out. Martin told me that was the first time anyone had gotten his Soontir all day. He also mistakenly picked up one of my Stress tokens. I collected it from him after his match the next day, against Paul Heaver in the first round of the finals. Looks like that was the closest I was getting to the top the cut.

See link to video below. I could analyse this match to death and will but I'll spare the general public that and just use it to improve my game. I wish I could do that with all my games. Special thanks to FFG for being so awesome and selecting this match as a feature. It is not every day you have Alex Davy doing the play by play on your worst match up against the Czech National Champion. I feel strangely akin with Iron Mike Sharpe now.

2-2 32-100

Fifth Round

Back to reality, my top cut hopes were getting pretty slim now. Back among the regular folk once again. I played a great guy, Matt Babish from Chicago. He was playing:

Miranda Doni (29)
Twin Laser Turret (6)

Poe Dameron (31)
Push the Limit (3)
R5-P9 (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
R3-A2 (2)
BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

He was an old school X-winger like myself who had been playing since Wave 1 as clearly indicated by his Red Rebel Acrylic Range Ruler from Kit 1. He was the first person I had ever come across who owned one other than my friend who won the one from the kit I won my Imperial Green one from. This match came down to each of us having 1 ship left, IG-88 B against Miranda at called at time. IGB had 1 Shield vs. a Range 1 out of Arc attack from Miranda. Somehow my shield survived and it ended at a full win for me, if not it would have been a modified win for him.

3-2 65-50

Sixth Round

What time is it? I have no clue. Really starting to feel the fatigue kicking in at this point. My opponent is Ollig Bjornosson of Iceland. Siggy of Outer Rim Smugglers drops by a couple times during the match. He is playing:

Miranda Doni (29)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Tactician (2)

Green Squadron Pilot (19)
Calculation (1)
Crack Shot (1)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Calculation (1)
Crack Shot (1)
A-Wing Test

[i]Calculation (1)

Crack Shot (1)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Miranda and A-Wings without Autothrusers. No problem. We start off in opposite corners and moves his A-wings into the Asteroid field and starts doing goofy things K-turning them and bumping while Miranda lies in wait in the back. I call him on it, and he denies it, "oh no, no" he says. Get real, he is totally trying to fish me in. When he starts landing the A-wings on asteroids and bumping into each other so they are all just sitting around like wounded chickens, I approach close enough to fire at them. Miranda springs out and double stresses B. I don't know what I was thinking, but I ran him away to try and remove the stress, rather than just accepting it and bumping into his ships. Well, it was all a ruse as I suspected and he knew exactly what he was doing. In the end I managed to kill 2 of his A-wings before I succumbed to Miranda's relentless attacks.

3-3 42-100

Seventh round

I played against Geordan Rosario from California, the man behind the indispensable Yet Another Squad Builder. He was using something like this:

Darth Vader (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE/x1 (0)

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

Juno Eclipse (28)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Proton Rockets (3)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I got my IGs into positions not even copious amounts of Glitterstim could make feel ok. He took a photo at one point because he couldn't believe how bad a position I had put myself in and he didn't have to do anything but pull the trigger. I did end up only taking out Juno, by having her Ion onto a rock. Cold dice, very tired. At least it was over pretty quickly.

3-4 33-100

Eighth and final round

I sit down and am sitting across from no one for a very long time. I leisurely set up my stuff and contemplate whether I would prefer my opponent not setting up and just getting the full win by default than playing anymore today. Eventually Noel Cuevas from California shows up, and hey wouldn't you know it, my first Brobot match up.

IG-88B (36)
Crack Shot (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Glitterstim (2)
Autothrusters (2)
IG-2000 (0)

IG-88A (36)
Crack Shot (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Glitterstim (2)
Autothrusters (2)
IG-2000 (0)

We roll for Initiative and he wins the roll. He decides to keep it much to my delight, moving last will hopefully give me an advantage. We joust and I am able to take his C out in the exchange, through concentrated fire and possibly Feedback Array tricks. My B is very beat up though, I believe only a couple of hull left. I Feedback Arrayed his B with my B after he killed my B and I didn't have a shot at him. So it was down to my C with HLC vs his B with HLC and very few Hull points between us. Luckily my dice went into berserk mode and just rolled everything good, and he couldn't keep up. Win.

4-4 100-75

So that was the World's tournament for me, finishing 92, with an MOV putting me very highly ranked among the 4-4 group. Watching the finals the next day was great. I got to chill out with Hothie during the final match. Definitely glad I went, not sure if I will be back next year, but if I only get to go once, I am glad I got to go this year.

• [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.twitch.tv%2F...
Feature Match 1:30 mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you played two people from my group here in the Bay Area (Geordan and Noel). There were eight or nine in the tourney, but still.

I'll have to ask Noel what his thinking was, letting you move last. (I play Brobots, and I would have let you move last, but I had AdvS on mine, and it makes a world of difference.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jeff, yeah I talked to Noel about it after the match and explained why it was so crucial. His reasoning was that he always takes initiative, and then I explained all the benefits of moving second. We were both so exhausted by the end I was just ready to end it either way.
Geordan and Audrey are awesome and I got to hang out with Thursday night.

(O)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happened in round 3? You had to check two times to make sure Jenny was in the right place? Jeez.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DenGad wrote:
What happened in round 3? You had to check two times to make sure Jenny was in the right place? Jeez.
Chalk it up to the random nature of TOME
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write-up.

I hear that Canadian Nationals is in Ottawa next year. Is there an approximate date?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
DenGad wrote:
I read it as him checking HE was in the right place - being 1-1 and on table one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
DenGad wrote:
I read it as him checking HE was in the right place - being 1-1 and on table one.
I'm guessing there were an odd number of people at 2-0, so someone at 1-1 made the cut to that tier. FFG's tournament software doesn't rank by MOV within each point tier and instead randomly pairs people within each tier. The people with the most points and highest MOV don't automatically play each other at table 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
cordeiro wrote:

I'm guessing there were an odd number of people at 2-0, so someone at 1-1 made the cut to that tier. FFG's tournament software doesn't rank by MOV within each point tier and instead randomly pairs people within each tier. The people with the most points and highest MOV don't automatically play each other at table 1.
Technically the player with the most points and highest MOV should play the player with the least points and lowest MOV if you're going to use that as a pairing metric. You want to delay the "best" players from facing each other for as long as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TnT! wrote:
Nice write-up.

I hear that Canadian Nationals is in Ottawa next year. Is there an approximate date?
Still up to the powers that be to decide where it lands, at this point the Ottawa players are just lobbying and figuring out logistics. Most likely it will be during Nationals Season August - October.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know how the other Canucks placed at World's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." - Tolstoy
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report Don. Cool you got to meet Hothie. Glad you had fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TnT! wrote:
Do you know how the other Canucks placed at World's?
Highest placing Canadian as far as I know was 11 year old Jean-Luc LaRue of Calgary flying Thug Life placing 30th with a 6-2 1016 MOV. Out of my friends we all finished mid pack including Jean-Luc's dad Paul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
Nice report Don. Cool you got to meet Hothie. Glad you had fun.
It was unreal buddy. It was cool chilling with Hothie but I got to meet tons of people. It was very strange and surreal being among so many Internet famous people that you know only from pictures or online. Paul of course was very gracious when we pulled him aside in the breakfast area by the pool the morning of the championship finals to wish him luck, very humble and polite. I ran into him in the hotel hallway when he was on his way over to the event center and I joked that they couldn't start without him.
But really these are pretty deep Internet celebs so for the most part everyone was able to keep the whole thing in perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." - Tolstoy
mbmbmbmbmb
R5Don4 wrote:
It was unreal buddy. It was cool chilling with Hothie but I got to meet tons of people. It was very strange and surreal being among so many Internet famous people that you know only from pictures or online. Paul of course was very gracious when we pulled him aside in the breakfast area by the pool the morning of the championship finals to wish him luck, very humble and polite. I ran into him in the hotel hallway when he was on his way over to the event center and I joked that they couldn't start without him.
But really these are pretty deep Internet celebs so for the most part everyone was able to keep the whole thing in perspective.
That's great man. A good time to be a Star Wars fan and gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls